550 and 575's | FerrariChat

550 and 575's

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by garysp7, Mar 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. garysp7

garysp7 Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Hello everyone:
    I am new to your chat board and was looking for input from owners of 550's and 575's.
    I am starting to search for a previous owned 550/575 and was looking to hear your experiences with these cars.
    Is a 575 worth the extra money over a 550? The 550's seem to be a pretty good deal now compared to a 575.
    Do certain years have more service problems than others? Is there any year that is clearly the best for the 550's? What exactly is the Fiorano Handling Package on the 550's?
    If I consider a 575, what has been your experiences with the F1 shifter? I have heard they are maintenance hogs on the 360's. I drove a 04 Modena F1 last week and it was fun but the starting in 1st gear was terrible, lots of bucking. They attributed it to a clutch problem, and I seem to hear about the F-1 requiring a lot of maintenance due to hydraulics and servos.
    This will be my first ferrari. I am a little afraid this very expensive car will end up being towed to the dealer every month for something and end up being more trouble than it is worth. I am only looking at this as a weekend fun toy and not for daily driving.
    Thanks
    gary

2. shelbee

shelbee Guest

I love my 550, test drove both 575M F1 and 6 speed, just don't want to pay for the price of 575M that will depreciate in the next two years. So I am okay now. I love the 19" on the 575M and the interior of it. Exteriorly the only differences are the headlight style with xenon, front bumper, wheels styling and stupid emblem on the back of 2004's 575M model.

Both are beautiful. If money is not the issue, get the 2002 575M (you can find a good price), but you can get the beautiful 550 for a very good price. Recommend 2000 or newer. I prefer 6 speed on both models. www.laautogallery.com has tons of selection in the Maranellos

I will let forum talk more about pros and cons

3. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    I have a '03 575F1-no problems in 6000miles-the Fi is smooth and a delight.The 19' tri mod wheels look great and the tubi with stebro pipes sound great.Remember that there is only a 2yr warranty on the 575 so if you go for an early '02 575 you'll be going sans warranty however you can buy an extended warranty for bet $5k and 6500 and save the 30 to 40K depreciation. It is a truly a grand touring machine-comfortable and blindingly fast.

4. garysp7

garysp7 Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I just sqaw a new 575 with the F-1 shifter and thought the only other option was the standard 6 speed with a clutch.
    I saw from your link to the auto gallery they have a 575 with semi automatic 6 speed. Is that something other than the two i know about.
    I agree with you, I really like the 575 with the carbon fiber trim option along with a very nice guage layout as compared to the 550. I just am having a hard time ponying up for a 575 when I see 2001 550's for so much less. I do like the 19 inch wheels also. The new 575 I just looked at was 290K.
    I figure it may take me around nine months to find just the right car with the options I want so by that time the market may change a little regarding pricing.
    Thanks
    gary

5. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    My own opinion is that unless you really like the interior, or need the F1, don't pay the premium for the 575. I have a 550, and am averaging ~1200 miles / month on it. Rain or shine (no snow here).

So long as you keep on top of your services, you should be ok. It's not the cheapest car to own (4 tires + 4 wheel alignment = ~$1700, oil change is ~400 if you don't do it yourself, major is ~6k), but very easy to own and drive.

--Dan

6. garysp7

garysp7 Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Thaks for input dad,
    The exterior difference sems minimal to me, other than the 19 inch wheels.
    The new 575 really did have a nice interior package with tan leather with the carbon fiber trim. I liked the guage set up much more on the 575 but I just can not justifythe extra money for that.
    I am hoping to find the right 550 over the next 9 months.
    I was hoping to find a 2001 in Red with tan with shields, carbon fiber trim, maybe daytona seats with low miles and no damage history. I am still wondering what the handling package is that was offered on them.
    Can you tell me anything else I should be concerned about?
    I read a few articles about people having problems with the front windshield and the seal?
    Thanks
    gary

7. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Gary, I'm in the similar situation as my choices are 550, 512TR, or Testa R.
    Sorry to post some my own questions here.

Shelbee,
    for 550, what are the difference between pre-2000 model & after 2000? I am looking into '98 550, and don't know the difference. Could you elaborate?

8. garysp7

garysp7 Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Thats funny. I have also been looking at the same cars.
    I was looking at a few 90,91 Testa and a 512tr. My friend hasd a 90 Testa and a F40. He has owned these cars for thirty years and has owned everything from 246 dinos to 330 SP's to his current two.
    He felt the testa was probably the best priced out there, that it has hit bottom. He has been trying to steer me to a 365 gtb4 because he knows I am a front engine v-12 fan and feels the 365 is on its way to being the next collectible as well as the owner being able to wrench on it themselves.
    When I was a teenager I worked for a Ferrari dealer and eventually ended up prepping cars (275 gtb4, 365 gtb4) that came to the dealer in Chicago. I wish I had bought by 275 then, but 6500K was big money to a 17 year old.
    Keep me posted on your hunt. I will be curious. I am tending to lean towards a 550 due to significant depreciation but it will still be like a new car, I hope.
    Good luck
    Gary

9. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    If you are looking for the cheaper car get the 550. If you want the better car get the 575. I had both.

The 575 has a lot of small aerodynamic changes in the brakes, radiators and underneath the car. Cooling is better in all departments. The new air injection system was added that helps burn raw fuel and will therefore extend the life of the cats. The instrument cluster is much more functional as is the radio and a/c. The dash is better made and should last longer before "shrinkage" occurs. The entire fuel tank cooling system was removed. A number of small electronic enhancements were made. The suspension system was upgraded with several pounds of unsprung weight being shed. Some people complain the ride is too soft when actually it is the better suspension response. The car is tighter and more quiet inside. The window control buttons were upgraded. When you fill the gas tank the nozzle does not keep shutting off. The engine seems to run with far less vibration, none actually. They removed the huge air intake water catchers making more room to work in the engine compartment. The car is faster by a little bit, most noticeable is the improvement in low end torque. The headlights may be a bit brighter.

I am told I have to go to bed...later

aehaas

10. shelbee

shelbee Guest

100% agree

11. shelbee

shelbee Guest

One thing I know the wheel recall. For the earlier 550s (1997-1999) F factory put magnesium wheels and ended up cracking at later date so they have to be recalled. Someone put the long list on the chat and better search for them.

12. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Thanks for the facts

13. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    My 2002 575 is simply the best car I own. I have had no issues with the F1 tranny or anything for that matter. I drive it almost daily, in city traffic and at freeway cruising speeds (and often accelerate as fast as it can go on freeway onramps and deserted streets early on Sunday mornings). IMO the F1 is really well suited to this car. I know that there are many traditionalists who don't consider paddle shifting as real driving but the simple fact is that if it's good enough for Michael Schumacher and the other F1 drivers it'll do for me. I love down shifting when decellerating from speed and the car is always perfectly poised.
    The statistics also don't always tell the whole story. Luca Badoer, the Ferrari factory test driver can probably get the same performance out of a six speed as an F1 but I bet the average owner out there driving a six speed against an F1 car would get well and truly thumped in a drag race with otherwise identical cars. Shifting a six speed under race conditions, even in a straight line is a fine art and doing all you need to do at exactly the right rev count is not as easy in a six speed as it is in an F1 equiped car. Valuable tenths will be given away trying to find second and bumping into the rev limiter and looking sideways at your opponent, while the F1 driver will simply keep his right foot planted and flick the paddle at exactly the right moment. It's beautiful how the car reacts and just surges forward without any drama. I think it's worth the extra money every time. Just my humble opinion in this regard.