American Express customer service | FerrariChat

American Express customer service

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by PeterS, Mar 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I called AMX this morning to tell them I lost my card. I was unable to get to a replacement kiosk that was close by (I live in the boonies) and I was traveling on business starting Monday. They had a new card made and expensed a UPS delivery service to my home (120 miles from a large city). All this in five hours! I don't think there is any other business that would do such a thing. I was beyond impressed!

2. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Peter- they had the card TO you in 5 hrs? That IS impressive!

3. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    I'm more impressed with UPS delivering something in 5 hours. Are you sure you didn't mean 5 months?

4. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    Wow!! That is amazing!

5. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    No, FIVE hours from when I made the call. They drove my card from Walnut Creek, CA to Sonora,CA, 140 miles!

6. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    AMEX is the best. that's all i can say :)

7. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    Peter,

They were obviously worried you would stop using the card for more than 5 hours.

8. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    I have found the same to be true of AMEX. They are great. They will give you a refund on anything. I have had several merchants not want to give my money back for a product and amex will take the money back for you. Of course that may have something to do with me having a platinum card and spending 10k/month on it. They also give me two for one plane tickets on international flights .They were pretty good when I had a green card though. Imagine what they do for the guys with the black amex.

9. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    5 hours is pretty impressive!

I've always been a huge AmEx fan. When I was young and starting out, they were the only ones that would give me a card. I upgraded my green to gold a year later, and still carry it to this day. I even have the number memorized, I've had it so long. Member since '84.

10. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    LOL. That applies to me for sure...

11. smsmd

smsmd Karting

Nov 12, 2003
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Steven Scates MD
    Once I paid $300 for sat dish programming, but the set was turned off. I called them and was told the sat company had not paid them and a number of sets were disconnected. The fee was on AMEX.

I called AMEX and told them the story on a fri night. The rep said very softly that I should not worry and he would check it out.

Sat am I got a call from the sat company. The owner was crying and terrified. At 6 am 10 cars arrived on his front steps, including law enforcement and AMEX attorneys. He said it was all a mistake (I doubt it-his phone had been disconnected) and the fees would be paid. He begged me to forgive him. They came down on him like a SWAT team.

The next am, I got another call from AMEX, very softly explaining that all would be OK and they hoped my issue was resolved.

I have few hard and fast rules for life, but "Don't mess with AMEX" is one of them.

12. mwarrior

mwarrior Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2004
    Ontario and Texas
    Full Name:
    Gagan P
    Must be nice. I'm 23 and Amex is the only one that HASNT approved me. Visa and MC both gave me cards, Visa is almost at 10G for limit. Amex called me with one of their "You get this many miles if you apply right now" kind of things, I said "ok" but then get a letter saying "sorry". That was about a year or two ago, I'm going to give it another shot :)

Diners Club is another thing in the future. My Canadian credit is fine wtih gold/platinum cards. Gotta keep working on the US one though.

Anybody know somebody that WORKS at Amex? ;-)
    Gagan

13. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    When I was in Napa a few weeks back I took a wrong turn and ended up driving up out of the valley up over a mountain and down into the next valley before finding a place to turn around. The road was so fun to drive that I really wasn't looking that hard for a turn around spot. I was in a rental convertible Mustang and thought I was running a pretty good pace. Two FedEx trucks came up behind me, I had to pull over and let them pass. These guys were having a blast driving on that road and they were no more than 3 feet off of each other's bumpers. I guess they drive that route daily making wine pickups from the wineries down in the valley.

14. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Last fall, on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, I mistakenly shredded my personal Amex gold. (Long story, I thought it was expired). Knowing that Friday after t-giving was going to be a big shopping day in my family, I was totally pissed, and somewhat in a panic. Personally, I have ditched almost every other card, in favor of Amex (groceries, fuel, cellular, everything on the Amex) because the reward points are so transferrable. Anyway, I called Amex on Wednesday afternoon around 3:00pm. Thanksgiving day, a courrier arrives at my house while the turkey is in the over and delivers my new card. No "express shipping" charges, no hassle, no nothing ! They were as nice as pie, and should be regarded as a model Customer Service organization.

AMEX rules. The only problem? They recently cancelled "Private Payments" which I used quite heavily. It was a one-time number generator for use on the web. Oh well...

Really, remove EVERY other card from your wallet except for Amex. If a merchant doesn't take Amex, use cash. Period.

Another side benefit, Amex plays well into my "no debt, ever" philospohy. You'll never rack up expensive interest when you pay-to-play with Amex.

-Daniel