The Saleen Factory | FerrariChat

The Saleen Factory

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by Bart, Mar 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    My friend, who has a NSX, told me Friday he and 90 of his closes friends will be meeting at the Saleen facoty on Saturday for a tour. It sounds as if it would be fun.

I will talk to him on Monday.

I was wondering if there would be any interest in the Ferrari Drivers Club of having a tour. It is in Irvine.

?????????????????????????????????????????

2. 150shot

150shot Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2003
    San Dimas, CA
    I was there.
    Pretty cool, up close with the S7, and got to see it in assembly, along with the SALEEN mustang and focus line. Car is awesome BUT the engineers were saying the car was way above what the ENZO offered in performance overall...???? of course he would say that.. hehe...

even started the car up, but for me the F-car sound is WAY better especially the ENZO...overall fun and interesting tour..

3. Viper 10

Viper 10 Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brad Chang
    Too bad SS is such a d*ckhead and screwed so many of his customers (just like Hennessey). From everything that I have read on the S7 tests, it's performance is way below what they projected it to be.

SS is rumored to be almost broke because of his involvement with the Ford GT project. It couldn't happen to a better person...

I've done the tour before and they do have some impressive technology invested in that car. Thanks for sharing the pics.

4. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    cool pics... the car still looks pretty cool, even if performance numbers are low... :)

btw, I hear there will be at least 1 and maybe 2 S7's going on the Player's Run! :)

B.

5. Christian Asis

Apr 28, 2003
    I'm curious...

where is the information that the performance is substandard coming from?

The articles that I've read (in R&T, C&D, etc.) peg the S7 as being one of the best (if not best) performing street cars ever. That includes the Enzo and the McLaren. I recall the car being knocked for perhaps not being as streetable as some other midengined cars but I don't recall anyone pooh poohing the performance.

6. Marc G

Marc G Karting

Feb 22, 2004
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Viper, Here what I know that's not rumored. Steve Saleen is no businessman that's a fact. (USC Failed with this one) He has burn more bridges than most. But look at what he given us gearheads The S7 is a World Class Supercar. Ford ask Saleen to assemble and Market the Ford GT. Ford writes Saleen a check each month. The UAW union challenge Ford that Saleen was a non-union shop. So now they Paint the body and package the parts for assembly. As for Saleen the company, they have new Money and Management, I have heard SS owns less than 5%. I have work with Carroll Shelby, Jack Roush and Steve Saleen they all seem to have one big flaw (CASH FLOW) I wish you well Viper, as this post is my first.

7. Viper 10

Viper 10 Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brad Chang

Christian:

Those were the articles that I read. The numbers that Saleen was telling us during our tour were very inflated (this was from their head of engineering and SS himself).

Marc, thanks for the update on SS. It's good to hear that the lion's share of the company is out of his hands. The key question is who is running the show now? I had heard from Detroit insiders that Saleen was dropped from most of the development and manufacturing on the GT project (and I believe was replaced by Roush). The main reason for this was because Saleen had one manufacturing and fabrication staff for his S7, and he had to split the team up to set up shop in Detroit (which is where Ford wanted the facility). Needless to say, Saleen fell on the sword trying to accomplish this.

Thanks for your response. Welcome aboard! These are a good group of people over here.

Brad