My New Stradale | FerrariChat

My New Stradale

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by bobbyd, Mar 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bobbyd

bobbyd Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    Just took delivery of my new Stradale yesterday @ FOA. The weather has been gorgeous, and so far I've put about 100 miles on the car and thought I'd give my fist impressions. By the way, the staff @ FOA has been great, especially Levi Gonzales (my sales guy), and I highly recommend that dealership.

First some backround. I sold my 360 Modena 6-speed to get this car. I also currently own a 2004 Porsche GT3 with about 700 miles on the clock to date (it's 2 months old).

My CS is scuderia red, with tan leather seats, lower dash, and headliner. The steering wheel is black leather, while all other upholstered surfaces, including upper dash, are black alcantara. All interior stitching is red, and I ordered the fire extinguisher. Overall, the car IMHO looks great, with the leather and contrasting stitching combining to produce a very sporty yet classy interior. I will try to post pics with my wife's help.

Driving impressions so far. The car is fast, about 10% faster than the Modena. It feels more like an incremental bump in speed than a dramatic increase. Along with it is a marked improvement in sound, with just the right amount of loudness throughout the rev band, IMO. It certainly is not too loud or obnoxious, nothing like the initial press cars written about in Europe in such mags as EVO. It sounds great overall.

Other notable impressions: the F1 gearbox is suprisingly smooth and easy to use. This is one aspect of the car that I was most concerned about, and I must say that so far I find the box precise, appropriately fast depending on RPM, and not at all jerky or cumbersome. It also is fun so far.

The most outstanding aspects of the car so far are the handling, and the brakes. Both surpass those of the Modena by a considerable margin. The car is just glued to the road and goes where you point it. The steering has improved feel, though I would stiil like a quicker ratio. The brakes are just awesome, and so far quiet with very little dust.

Compared to the GT3, the CS wins out on looks, engine sound (although the GT3 sounds good in that classic 911 flat six way), high speed stability and handling. So far I think that the GT3 definitely feels more powerful and torquey in the low and middle revs. I've not taken the Stradale above about 7000 revs so far, but I must say it gets to those revs very quickly and feels fantastic in doing so.

The bonus is that the comfort and ride quality of the CS is outstanding. Those who view this car as too harsh and unrefined for regular street use could not be more wrong. The car over reasonable surfaces is comfortable, at least as much as the Modena, if not actually more so. How Ferrari managed this given the 19" wheels and stiffened suspension I don't know, but overall comfort on board is very good.

In summary, I'm very happy I commited to this car, and I must say that it is the closest to a perfect sports car I have driven in or owned ( and that includes, in additon to the 360 Modena, a Ferrari 355B, Porsche 993, E39 BMW M5, and recent drives of a Gallardo). It looks and sounds stunning, it is very fast, has world class handling and brakes, and it is comfortable to sit in and drive.

Looking foward to seeing some of you guys around Hotlanta.

Cheers!

2. JeffB

JeffB Formula 3

Jan 16, 2004
    Northville, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff B
    Congrats! Sounds awesome. We'd love to see pics if you're able to post some.

3. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    thanks for your personal review of the CS. congrats by the way too :)

4. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Awesome. I am really glad that you like the car and especially glad that you find it well suited for the street. The in-depth first impressions are what I find most telling about the car, as that's when the Modena owners are really tuned in to the advantages/disadvantages of the CS. Thanks for doing that.

5. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    Congrates!!! :)

Let see some pix!

6. 4RE Bob

4RE Bob Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Congratulations! It sounds like the car is a marked improvement over a base Modena.

It is for this very reason that I personally don't think the new 430 M or whatever the rumor mill calls the new Modena, is just around the corner. Would Ferrari really build a car with improved handling and significantly more horsepower and a slightly modified Modena body, and release it now, just to antagonize all its loyal buyers who just bought a CS. I don't think so. I hope not.

7. rossi

rossi Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    The "new" Modena will be more of an evolution of the current car than a totally new design. But it will have more than just "a slightly modified Modena body".

8. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    You are right the initial impression is that the GT3 is quicker(although I am talking from my experience with the GT3-RS). However, as the torque curve is higher up, you will find that the stradale comes alive above 4500-5000rpm, as so basically you really need to wring it out for it to move. then of course s**t happens very fast! I think that ultimately there is probably not alot in it, both P and F car are pretty evenly matched.
    Enjoy the car! and please post some pics!
    Alex

9. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Congrats on a beautiful car. My friend had has 360 CS today at breakfast and I must say I don't think it is too loud, it sounds perfect.

10. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Congratulations Bobby and welcome to Ferrarichat. It's good to see another Stradale owner coming on board as there are already several throuhout the forum here. I have yet to see or here the car in person but from the clips I have heard it is quite a screamer. I'm down in Pensacola Florida and might be doing the Six Flags trip in a month or two. I'd love to snap some pictures and hear the car if you happen to be around. I take it that you passed on the stripe. Do you have any modifications such as exhaust in the works? I know a few guys that have tried several different types but the stock seems impressive enough for me. Awesme car you got yourself!

11. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Thanks for the driving impressions. Far more useful than yet another picture of a Stradale, although don't let me stop you showing off your car ;)

Enjoy and if you have any further impressions you would like to tell us, please do.

Pete

12. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Bobbyd, great review, great car! i hope you can drive it enough to keep the damn pollen from turning it green!!!!! please post pics when you can. PM me if you need help. michael

13. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    Congrats bobby! Mine is on the way and I just can't wait!!

14. bobbyd

bobbyd Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    Matt, no I did not get the stripe - I personally like it without. IMHO Scuderia red is an awesome color on it's own, it doesn't need any help. So far I've not planned on any exhaust mods or anything else. I think that out of the box it is a very satisfying package, with that aggresive edge that I think is slightly missing in the standard Modena, or any of the other cars in the current Ferrari range (Enzo excluded).

My only other impression so far: the car sits very low for street use, with a longer front overhang, so it's very easy to scrape. I think it's in 355 territory as far as the front spoiler is concerned. I'm typically ultra careful with driveways and camber changes to avoid marring the spoiler, but I think I may have to take extra measures with the CS. Any one have experience or suggestions?

15. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    http://www.roeracing.com/index.html?token=2085522815-657801498-735718036&A=33&B=Viper%20Maintenance%20Items

or...

from the Ferrarichat archives, thanks to a suggestion by Rob Schermerhorn:
    p.s. - congrats on the CS. looking forward to pictures!

16. allans

allans Karting

Dec 19, 2003
    roswell, ga
    Full Name:
    allan
    Bobby, Congratulations on receiving your new car. I'm sure you will enjoy it! We met @ the "Enzo" Birthday Party last month. I had my Stradale there and we spoke about your upcoming delivery. I would love to see your car and exchange "observations" Please PM me. Allan

17. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    Congrats and enjoy in good health. Please post pics when you get a chance.

18. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    bobby did you just moved to atlanta recently?

19. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Great to hear your car came in and your finally posting here on fchat! I cant wait to see it and get a ride! I assume you will be going to the porsche club meeting next monday and will drive the CS ??? If so... Ill be there! We need to plan one weekend day for you to drive up to my house and we can swap cars and go for a drive. Im sure the CS would be a TOTALLY different experience than the Daytona....

Send me an email: [email protected]

Terry

20. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Very informative post....Just curious if someone could share what the prx spread is b/w the two 360 models?

21. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    i'm curious if the F1 world championship plaque in your car lists "2003"? i got my stradale in mid-february and the plaque did not include "2003". also, does your car have the 50th anniversaey ferrari USA flags on the console? btw, i agree with your initial observations about the stradale. i've put 1200 miles on mine and it is the best car i've ever driven! it is as close to perfect (to me at least) as you can get. i can't imagine that ferrari will ever make a better car...but you can bet they will...eventually :)

22. Jack(LA)

Jack(LA) Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Contact Dave at Premier Motorsport (310-559-1562) -- they have skid plates available for the CS.

23. bobbyd

bobbyd Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003

Allan, thanks for your response. I still have your card and will try to call you. I can be reached @ 404-869-6746 in the evenings. Lets get together and go for a drive sometime.

24. bobbyd

bobbyd Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    Terry, I plan on going to the next PCA meeting. Don't know if I will bring the CS or GT3. Either way, I'm sure you'll see it soon.