Any EBAY sellers here? | FerrariChat

Any EBAY sellers here?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by WJHMH, Mar 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I've got so much stuff, junk, etc... packed away in boxes, I must make some room to move around in! (car parts, rock & roll posters, 1/18th scale cars, comic books, car magazines, etc...) I thought about just selling it on EBAY. Any tips that you can recommend to me?

Thanks

2. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    find a young kid with nothing better to do, let him list every thing and watch the auctions, give him $100. Will save you a lot of time

3. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I went through the same thing a few years ago. I had a bunch of crap that I was going to toss, but decided to try ebay first. I sold a bunch of posters, and the ones with no reserve sold for $40-$60 dollars, and those with modest reserves didn't get a bid! Relisting them resulted in quick sales. Go figure. So, if you don't really care how much you get, avoid using a reserve and just require buyer to pay all shipping. I also sold one of those long beer racing banners that we stole at the Indy 500, and bidding went through the roof! Sometimes it helps to use creative wording. It's kind of fun to do, but I was glad to be done.

4. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    I need to find a way to get into this. Apparently there are quite a few people who do this - some for a very large profit. I've read some people who claim in excess of 30k a month revenue. Not bad at all. Of course these people all have suppliers and get things for cheaper than the major chains which is kind of surprising. Of course they don't share these suppliers, making it harder to break in, but they all do say that if you look in the right places these sources are easy to find. Who knows.

5. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    I have heard of a company (local to here) who lets you drop stuff off, and then sells it on ebay for you. Don't know what the arrangements are. Will find out more if you ar einterested? Seen billboards and the like... I think it's dropshipsell or something.

--Dan

6. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    I make a few hundred a week on ebay selling replica Ferrari engine decals and other nick nacks. People tend to be leary of bidding on stuff that starts high. My philosophy is start everything low 0.99-9.99 and watch people pay! Also NO RESERVE! People also tend to shy away if you have a low rating, but you gotta start someplace.

7. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
    I sell on eBay as my "part time" job. Did lots of research and eased myself into it a couple of months ago. No staggering fortunes made yet, but it's a way to stash away some extra money for my wedding next year.

General tips...
    -End on a Sunday or Monday night. Make sure your auction is visible on a weekend (don't start it on a Monday to end on a Friday). Don't end the auction at a crazy time (like 7am EST on a Wednesday morning - I speak from PAINFUL experience).
    -I haven't used reserves lately - have just started the auctions at acceptable prices and had Buy It Nows that are pie-in-the-sky hopes that people sometimes use.
    -List in the right place.
    -Do research on what the item is going for. Go to the search, advanced search, type in the search term and click "completed items". That should give you a decent starting point.
    -Anticipate any and all questions prior to the auction.
    -Learn some HTML if possible. I generally just use a simple table, but the organization makes it look a little more professional.
    -Be open, honest, and up front. This is especially important if you have little or no feedback. Remember, until your feedback goes up some, you won't demand any sort of price.
    -There are actual companies that sell for you on eBay, their commission structures vary. You may or may not want to try one; I've only heard of them.

Good luck!

8. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    I have thought about doing this myself, my only problem is I can't stop buying stuff long enough to put together an auction and sell something! LOL

9. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler

These type of businesses seem to be popping up everywhere. The ones I've heard advertised charge all Ebay fees, plus 25% of selling price and your item must have a minimum value of $35.00 When I first heard the ad I thought they were crazy and that nobody would pay that much. I was wrong, they appear to be doing a brisk business. I'm curious to see if they make it a couple more years though.