Ferrari Sues Enthusiast | FerrariChat

Ferrari Sues Enthusiast

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Etcetera, Mar 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    FNA (Ferrari North America) today filed suit against a Mr. Lamarossa of Greenwich, NY for gregarious infringement of copyright, trade and face of business infringements against said Mr. Lamarossa. The suit alleges that Mr. Lamarossa actively sought to debase Ferrari’s trade emblem, business and stature by claiming that his 1991 Toyota Supra was indeed a Ferrari by placing said emblems of the Ferrari trade upon his 1991 Toyota Supra.

It is alleged that Mr. Lamarossa’s car debased the very being and portent of Ferrari; therefore they (FNA) are seeking $25 million in US dollars to rectify the grievance.

When reached for comment about the lawsuit, Mr. Lamarossa declined to comment, save for his remark that a, “Ferrari by any other name, whether it be Toyota or General Motors, is still a Ferrari.”

He added that, “If FNA succeeds in this lawsuit, I would be more than pleased to pretend it is something else that it very clearly and painfully is not.”

Ferrari NA stated that the car, a 1991 Toyota Supra went from being a 1991 Ferrari Lamarossa to a Ferrari Lamarossa Challenge 265 with the addition of heating register vents on its outmost flanks. In most recent iterations, court documents show that it is a Testarossa 512M.

“In any case,” said FNA lawyer Allen L. Ambo; “The car is certainly not a Ferrari. We must act defensively and decisively against anyone that may or may not represent the Ferrari brand in the light that we think it deserves. We will litigate them into the ground if that’s what it takes to protect our brand.”

Either way, Mr. Lamarossa seems to have relented on a few demands. His car no longer proudly bears the Prancing Horse, but the Prancing Bull of Lamborghini.

He now calls it the Lambarossa SV, which is meant to conjure up images of rip snorting Diablo’s and other signs of complete bull. Instead, the bull and the **** are fully evident in his yellow SV. His lawyer, Allen L. Ambo decided against commenting on this article, citing conflicts of interest.

(AP News)

2. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Those Lambo-air-shovels are good for scooping BS, too.

3. infraredline

infraredline Formula 3

Mar 15, 2004
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    John
    Bahaha! Ferrari is comin to get you :O

4. formula1joe

formula1joe Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe Bennett
    Is this an early April fool's joke?

5. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    lol!

6. Mickey

Mickey Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Linnet Drive
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Good,

Ferrari is Ferrari.

There is only one Ferraris.

7. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    BTW...FYI , its a joke ..

8. Alanmondial

Alanmondial Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Alan Butler
    Well I did hear of them taking an action against a sausage manufacturer for using the prancing horse image and won!

9. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    That's funny and well written! LOL

10. Klint

Klint Karting

Dec 7, 2003
    Isle of Man, British Isles
    Full Name:
    Clint
    ROFLMFAO! Hilarious!

11. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

LOL - you had me right up to the Allen L. Ambo part - good stuff!

12. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Unfortunately Ferrari is known for sueing enthusiasts..I remember a few years ago they sued 2 germans who had built a 1/2 scale Ferrari F1 replica of the 1998 car i think ..It cost them quite a lot actually. But the car was so well done and popular that pple paid them to ride in it at several car events around germany.. Ferrari didnt like the fact that they were making $$ with their name ( eventhough it was just money to get even..) and sued them and won.

13. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Dude: seriously funny post. For what it's worth, Ferrari could never sue this guy. Here's why:

A trademark is a word, name, symbol, device or combination thereof used to identify and distinguish goods and services of one from the goods and services of another. More simply, it identifies the source of goods and services (i.e. Nike swoosh) It gives you the right to prevent others from using it if such use would create a likelihood of confusion. You don’t get exclusive use necessarily. Why could they never sue him? NO LIKELIHOOD OF CONFUSION :)

And, for those who are interested, a trademark applies automatically in use in commerce. It can also be registered. You can use TM symbol to assert a trademark, or the R symbol to show that it’s registered, giving greater notice (of course, a court can always come in and eliminate registered TM.) You do not need registration to sue.

And, more specifically, for infringement, you need to show two things: 1. trademark, as per spectrum of ditinctiveness (somewhat complex.) 2. Likelihood of confusion (don’t need to show actual confusion.) Polaroid factors used to determine likelihood of confusion (also somewhat complex.)

Polaroid factors to examine likelihood of confusion:
    1. Similarity of the marks:
    Look at the use of the mark as a whole, the way the entire package is dressed up. The question is will the consuming public be able to distinguish between the two, when you take a holistic view? In the Polaroid case, Alpha was embedded in many other words in the name, whereas Pignon used “Alpha” more by itself.
    2. Similarity of the goods
    Judge this based on price, functions, sophistication. Are they significantly different products? Is LAMAROSSA and an Enzo significantly different?
    3. Relationship between the parties’ channels of trade
    4. Relationship between the parties’ advertising
    5. The classes of prospective purchasers? - UMMM... :)
    (for 3,4,5 look at where they are sold (specialty stores vs. mass market) etc. are they sold in the same markets?
    6. Evidence of actual confusion – best evidence, consumer actually thought they were TM holders goods or services. Was anyone here confused?
    7. The defendants’ intent in adopting its mark
    Did they intend to add a neat name, or did they think they could palm off the product as the other persons. This is a big and important factor. Uh oh, he might be in trouble...

14. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I'm glad the article was bogus. I was getting ready to take the Scudia badge off my GoKart!

15. Jordan Ross

Jordan Ross Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Austin
    ROTFLMAO!
    This thread made my day, thanks Korr!

16. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    If he had tried to make that into a lambo, id of hired hitmen.

17. JH

JH F1 Veteran

Nov 14, 2002
    Odense, Denmark
    Full Name:
    Jonas H.
    LMAO.

18. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    you didn't see the video. watch it again. it will only require one hitman. =)

19. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    LMAO!!!! dont know how i missed this one yesterday.......

20. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    hey i have the video of the Supra and the .50 gatling gun saved on my pc. anyway to host it to make it viewable???? file is 11.3 mb . i posted it a few weeks ago but the link died. i have it saved though!!

21. LAMAROSSA

LAMAROSSA Karting

Mar 22, 2004
    CT for Now
    Full Name:
    Lamarossa G. P.
    LOL

cops pulls me ova the other day checking to see if it was stolen

"hes like why do you have supra's plate driving a Ferrari "hahahahaha

im like "its a body kit sir"

hes like "let me see your registration ,I need to check the VIN number"

Lamarossa

22. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan

Lamo-rossa, the police officer that stopped you, laughed all the way back to the precinct, and told all his other officer buddies. There is now a picture of you on the wall, in the Wanted Section, for public desicration.

I would think he would of cited you for safety reasons, as i doubt its ok to drive a car that was built at HOme Depot.

23. Prancing_Horse

Prancing_Horse Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Arlington,VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    y'know

i think rob should ban lamarossa

24. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Aw c'mon, hogwash... he's a funny cat IMHO. Besides, he brings out the BEST in Allan!!

25. Prancing_Horse

Prancing_Horse Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Arlington,VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    but hes just soo pathedic and annoying