Priority Pass & Airport Lounges: Worth it? | FerrariChat

Priority Pass & Airport Lounges: Worth it?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by mwarrior, Mar 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mwarrior

mwarrior Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2004
    Ontario and Texas
    Full Name:
    Gagan P
    Anybody here use a Priority Pass? I was thinking of getting one because of the lounge access. I havent actually been inside an airport lounge yet, so I was wondering if somebody could tell me if its worth getting the pass. The airports I will be frequenting are: St Maarten, San Juan, Philadelphia, Buffalo, Charlotte, Toronto, and Austin(on ocassion).

Until I apply for and get my Amex Platinum this seems to be the best bet. Plus even with the Platinum I'd have to be on the particular airline so this seems the more sensible alternative. Comments/advice/questions (if more info is needed) would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Gagan

2. bubba

bubba Formula 3

May 8, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    PPPP
    I've used Priority Pass before, but haven't traveled enough to justify the cost. A couple of things to consider:

1. How often do you travel to those cities you listed? Are lounges there under the Priority Pass coverage?

2. What class do you travel on most? If it's mostly economy, then Priority Pass is more worthwhile.

3. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    I get the Pass thrown in with my Black M/card . If i didn't, i would purchase it seperately as i think it makes all the difference to the "dead "time between check in/departure.My wife also gets one and we sign our kids in for free usually.

4. tigermilk

tigermilk Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    James P. Smith
    If you're a drinker, why not. I don't drink, so getting the value out of it isn't there for me. The food in those places are just snacks anyway. I'd rather overpay out amongst the "common folk" for a decent meal in the airport.

5. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I like UAL's Red Carpet Club. Aside from the bar, there are computers with internet, TV's and snacks. When I bump to 1st class for travel, I always ask for a pass. If you travel with members that have a pass, they can bring you in.

The clubs are nice, especially if you have a layover.

6. cairns

cairns Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2003
    Potomac MD
    Full Name:
    George Williams
    I quit using them recently after years of staying with United's Red Carpet Club. Many of the clubs are overcrowded and dirty and the price has gone up a great deal. I was also upset at their practice of not allowing outside food within the club. The only nice ones remaining IMO are the international first class lounges and even those don't offer the food and snacls they used to.

I don't really miss them at all and can usually find a quiet corner somewhere.

7. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I think it is worth it if you travel alot. When i travel, im either with my father, or i borrow his card for AA's admirals club. Its nice to have a comfortable place to sit down and enojy some snacks and a soda, especailly when you have a stop over that is long, but not long enough where you can leave the airport and do something worthwhile. I would much rather sit in a nice leather lounge chair in a quiet environment (usually with a great view of the tarmac) and read car and driver than sit on those crappy airport benches in a noisy terminal. Im not sure what it costs, but for my father, who travels alot for work, the price is justified. I personally do not travel enough to make it be worthwhile

8. mwarrior

mwarrior Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2004
    Ontario and Texas
    Full Name:
    Gagan P
    Well I dont drink, but drink lots of coke(as in coca cola). The snacks can be good too. As for travelling, I'm currently attending med school in the Caribbean, so in the next year I'll be making 4 or 5 round trips which will include the lounges that I mentioned. And from what I've seen they are listed on Priority Pass's list.

TonyH: Black M/card? I'm guessing Europe right?

Gagan

9. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    United's Red Carpet Club doesn't have free drinks domestically. The United 1st lounges do, and have passable snacks with an ok bar selection. The Domestic RCC's give cheese and crackers (imagine the worst possible)...

But they can be relaxing, however at certain busy times they can be packed and a zoo just like the terminal outside...

10. mwarrior

mwarrior Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2004
    Ontario and Texas
    Full Name:
    Gagan P
    True enough. Lets see if Priority Pass is willing to have the card waiting for me at St Maarten :) For $250 hopefully they will.
    Gagan