Where does a New Englander look for used Ferraris? | FerrariChat

Where does a New Englander look for used Ferraris?

Discussion in 'New England' started by Doppelganger, Mar 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doppelganger

Doppelganger Rookie

Dec 17, 2003
    Belchertown MA
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Hi everyone. I am a LONG time car enthusiast and my lifelong dream to own one of the ultimate sports cars is nearing reality. I've had a passion of Ferraris for well over 20 year. I am leaning towards a F355 Berlinetta.
    My question is:
    Besides Fone, are there any other car dealerships in New England that sell used Ferraris? Would I be better off shopping down south where Ferraris are in a MUCH greater abundance?

Thanks for any advice.

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    generally speaking, us new englanders look for ferraris the same place everybody else looks: nationwide.

aside from FoNE - i happily bought my 550 there - try these out:

http://www.bostonsportscar.com/ - they just opened up a retail arm on the north shore

http://www.baystatemotorsports.com/ - they're in malden and have a sister location in Naples FL. they seem reputable, though they don't carry a big f-car inventory.

my results are MA-centric - i'm POSITIVE i'm slighting some useful places in CT.

there's not that much around boston.

check the archives for good car-search sites. you probably will end up looking nationwide - don't be afraid of that. a quick plane flight isn't too expensive, and many folks on this board will be happy to make some visits for you - just ask.

when you fidn a dealer, search the archives for data about them - oodles of good info here. and don't forget to search the OLD archives as well.

g/l!

let us know what you're looking for and where you are and help will crawl out of the woodwork.

doody.

3. Capt

Capt Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    North of Boston
    Full Name:
    Michael
    You could contact either of the sites Doody listed and have them look for a car for you.

There is always eBay but I would want to a PPI (pre purchase Inspection).

-Michael

4. Doppelganger

Doppelganger Rookie

Dec 17, 2003
    Belchertown MA
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Thanks for the advice! Nationwide searching will obviously offer me the best selection of cars, but I'd definitely want to see it for myself before even considering a purchase. I would fly out to check out a potential purchase. I would never considering buying it based on photos alone. This is going to be a WELL thought out purchase with plenty of research involved.

I've been saving for a LONG time for a exotic car. At one point I was going to buy a slightly used NSX, but I figured I'd just let my car fund continue to grow and not "settle" for anything less than what I really wanted all along.
    Basically, I want a F355. I'd consider any color, transmission, etc...
    The only thing I don't want is a spider. Sadly, I never even SAT in a F355 before! It's the "minimal" Ferrari I am interested in buying and at the same time it's the maximum Ferrari I can afford to buy. So I guess that pretty much narrows my choices down to the F355!!

I live about 85 miles west of Boston. I've never been to Fone. (yet)
    The only F-car dealer I've been to was Millers in Greenwich Conn.

5. jmacphee

jmacphee Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Joseph MacPhee
    Bob Hatch had a 355B for sale; it is no longer listed on his website but I drove by Friday night and it was still in the showroom. They are in Wayland, Mass. and their website is: http://www.hatchandsons.com/. There was also a new yellow 360 there.

6. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    I live about 85 miles west of Boston. I've never been to Fone. (yet)
    The only F-car dealer I've been to was Millers in Greenwich Conn.[/QUOTE]
    How about Ferrari of Long Island http://www.ferrarili.com/main.htm they seem to show a pretty good selection of used on their Web site

7. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Found the one here on FerrariChat :)

8. IceSkater

IceSkater Rookie

Nov 24, 2003
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Tony C
    Hello Doppelganger

I'm also a long time Ferrari devotee who after many years of waiting finally
    has the wherewithal to acquire one. Hopefully mine will be an 89 or 90
    Testarossa. Oddly enough, I'm also about 90 miles west of Boston right
    next to the Connecticut River. An interesting source of cars for sale around the country that I browse is:

http://www.collectorcartraderonline.com/

Good luck in your search

9. Doppelganger

Doppelganger Rookie

Dec 17, 2003
    Belchertown MA
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Iceskater,

My wife and I lived in West Springfield the first 2 years after we got married. The Testarossa is another fine choice. I just saw one last week in Hartford. It was my first Ferrari sighting of 2004!

10. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    The two authorized dealers in New England are, as mentioned by others, Ferrari of New England (call Nick Scelsi, great guy at (617) 559-0123, tell him I said hello) and Miller Motorcars (Werner Pfister, Ferrari expert, (203) 629-3890).

Boston Sports Car is now selling used cars out of their Newbury location. Call Darin McKay at (978) 465-6624 (http://www.bostonsportscar.com/), he's a good guy, tell him I said hello. :)

Bob Hatch sells the occasional Ferrari: http://www.hatchandsons.com/ Located in Wayland. Bob is a good friend and we go to the track together frequently. Call and ask for him or for Jim Hatch, tell him I sent you. :)

F40 Motorsports (part of Carini Carrozeria) sells a lot of used Ferraris. Located in Central CT. http://www.f40.com/ Call and speak with Peter Lombardo, he's a good friend who also goes to the track with me, tell him I said to take care of you. :)

Otherwise, check the usual sources: www.ferrarimarketletter.com ; eBay, autotrader, and the classified ads in the Ferrari Club of America news bulletin.

What are you looking for exactly? Another friend of mine is considering selling his 1995 355 Berlinetta, a really nice blue exterior.

Good luck!

vty,

--Dennis

11. philvecc

philvecc Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Philip Vecchiarelli
    From a neighbor--- I looked around five years ago for my TR and then four years ago for my 308. I didn't limit the area searched and ended up buying the TR from Motorcars International in Springfield MO. They sell the majority of their used Ferrari's "sight unseen' with the exception that they send email photos and a video. It worked out great and I was not disappointed. The 308 was found in Auto-Week mag and I did go to Kentucky to see and drive. Both experiences were great so don't be too hesitant. There are a lot of really nice cars out there.
    Surprisingly there are quite a few Ferraris in the Springfield area so once you make the plunge keep in touch.

12. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Agree with philvecc. DO NOT limit yourself by trying to find a "local" car. Both good and bad cars are everywhere. Finding a good to excellent example close to you at an appropriate price is HARDER than if you open your choices to those in other places.

Steven

13. Doppelganger

Doppelganger Rookie

Dec 17, 2003
    Belchertown MA
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I've seen a few in the Springfield area in throughout the years.

I'm sure you know of the local chiropractor who used to own a F40. I seen him a few years back driving it in the middle of the winter with salt stains all over it. The roads even had a little bit of wet slush on them!

14. 288_GTO

288_GTO Guest

Apr 7, 2004
    Andover, MA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    If you are still looking for a used Ferrari in the Boston area, there are more options than you'd think. The suggestions above are good ones, FoNE, Hatch & Sons, Boston Sportscar, etc. There is a gentleman in Boston named Stuart (?), he owns Copley Motorcars and is a good guy, few Ferrari's go through there but they are professional and knowledgeable.
    Personally though, I would suggest BaystateMotorsports. They don't have a huge inventory but they will get whatever you are looking for and are good guys. They are easy to deal with, not pretentious, which is VERY rare, and they are reputable. Obviously, anything they have at the sister dealership in Naples can be sent up to Boston so that helps too. The guy over there is named Rob Oteri, good guy, no BS, has a good understanding of the high-end used market. www.baystatemotorsports.com.

15. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Peter Sweeney is a great guy and very knowledgeable. He is a consultant for Forza Magazine i believe. Located in Ct.
    http://www.forza.weblobby.com/