1969 365 GTC exhaust leak/raw gas fumes | FerrariChat

1969 365 GTC exhaust leak/raw gas fumes

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 365GTC, Mar 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 365GTC

365GTC Rookie

Dec 29, 2003
    Lexington, Virginia
    I need help with a chronic problem of cockpit oders that are socially unacceptable.The exhaust system is in good health,but there is no weatherstripping between the decklid and the trunk.(water will flow freely into the trunk during normal washing routines)Does anyone have a good photo/source of the trunk weatherstripping?(Re-Originals is an obvious choice)Any other suggestions for a cure?Also,while there are no apparent leaks,raw gas fumes permeate the cockpit, particularly after top-off,acting as an excellent repellant for my significant-other while providing a great incentive for Nomex.....Any help will be much appreciated!!!Thank you.

2. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

"chronic problem of cockpit oders that are socially unacceptable".. I don't work in that area so I can't help you but I know a good Gastroenterologist...

3. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Don't know if this would help at all, but I have an old catalog (1975) for FAF Motorcars that shows these details of trunk edgings and seals. If these illustrations are correct, the seals are just pattern items that should be easily available from numerous sources at very reasonable prices. No need to pay Ferrari prices for items like these!

4. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Jeff.

Some day I would really like to visit you and your collection (library).

Awesome!

Vincent.

5. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    This is interesting, I have a friend with a 330GTC with the same problem, he has a new exhaust system and new weatherstripping, neither has cured this problem.

This is not a minor exhaust issue, it makes the car undrivable and dangerous, when you get out of the car, even on short trips, you smell of exhaust.

He has worked on this issue for over 2 years with no positive results...

Good luck, if you find a cure, let me know!

6. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    My 365 2+2 has had issues with exhaust smell in the cabin and trunk as well. I have replaced the exhaust and had the headers welded and coated (they had some cracks), and this made a big difference.

However, there is still some exhaust smell in the trunk. My trunk has weatherstripping, and no problems with rain. However, the floor isn't very well sealed and I think that's where the exhaust smell comes in.

I also believe that some exhaust smell is just normal for these cars, but that's my opinion.

Raw gas smell, however, is not acceptable. That sounds to me like a fuel leak somewhere and should be corrected before something serious happens (like a fire!). I had a raw gas smell after shutdown many years ago, and it was the trumpet fittings on the carbs leaking.

7. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Exhaust is one problem. Fuel smells are another. You have to make sure that the entire exhaust system is 100%. When these cars were new they weren't.
    You have to work from the engine back through every gasket, joint, all the way to the tip of the exhaust pipe. Sometimes you have to deck the exhaust ports to make sure the gasket will seal. You also need positive flo through ventilation. You have to insure that this system is working and leak free. You also need to install an inline fan that can move air through the cockpit. This should run when the motor is on. After you've done all of the above check with a CO tester. At idle and under way. Older cars burn oil and this may be what you're smelling. There is no cure for that. Even with all of the above you will still smell like "exhaust" after a long trip from the burning oil. MAKE sure there is no CO in cockpit!!!!!!!!
    The original fuel systems are also sketchy. After 10 years much of the rubber begins to rot. Once again you must take everything apart and re gasket and rehose. Fittings and checkvalves must also be re newed. I'd also re build the Webbers and repalace gas caps.

8. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

Have you looked at the fuel filters and piping? If they are like the 365GTC/4, they are in the trunk and there is no way to keep fuel fumes out of the car except to fix the leaks in the fuel system (filters and piping)

9. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    This is a common problem with 105 series Alfa Romeos like my 1750 GTV. In every case it is caused by badly sealing truck seals.

Why?

Because the area behind the car causes a some sort of swirl and if the trunk does not seal 100% (and I mean 100%, not 99.9% it has to seal perfectly) the exhaust fumes will get sucked into the boot/trunk and then fill the passenger space.

If you do not have a seal on your boot, of your boot floor is not sealed then you have your problem, and like others have said very dangerous for you brain cells. CO is a poison!!!

Thus yes ensure your exhaust is perfect, but do check that your boot lid seals, that your tail lights seal, that your boot floor is air tight, etc.

I would also suggest that you drive with your side windows down a little to cause a positive airflow. Old cars did not have this by design ...

Pete

10. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Everyone replaces exhaust gaskets and trunk seals in the fight to fix this problem. Few people I have found check the fuel tank hoses themselves.

Take a look at the wide rubber hose that runs from the fuel filler neck to the gas cap area. Also look at the fuel vent hosing. I have had several cars with the fuel stink problem where the issue was dry rot in these hoses and fumes leaking out through tiny cracks. It only takes a TINY little leak area for plenty of gas fumes to leak out and stink things up. These hoses tend to have this problem because they are a real ***** to replace!

I believe Ted Rutland can sell you the trunk seal material at a good price. You buy it by the foot.... its a generic type seal that is cut to size and glued in place.

Terry

11. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner

12. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    fuel smells -
    Having found all three banjo fittings at the Webers dripping this last weekend, I recommend going through the entire system w/ the electric fuel pump on and looking for leaks at every connection at least a couple times of year. 10 minutes with a wrench could prevent a fire.

Also, based on advice from a local Ferrari restoration shop, I dabbed a little epoxy on the threads of the fitting at either end of the yellow/wound fuel lines (when I replaced them) to help kill the drips. There may be a tiny difference in the inside diameter of the new fuel line material (bigger) from the original stuff - I know some folks who have had a terrible time w/ new fuel lines leaking from these points.