$10,000 For A Tubi Exhaust??? | FerrariChat

$10,000 For A Tubi Exhaust???

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by The Mad Hatter, Mar 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. The Mad Hatter

The Mad Hatter Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    The Mad Hatter
    Well, just when I think I have seen everything on Ebay I stumble upon this listing about 10 minutes ago:

This is a NO RESERVE AUCTION! You are bidding on a beautiful 1989 Ferrari Testarossa. This TR has less than 17,000 (2)-owner miles! It is in showroom condition inside and out. One test-drive in this Testarossa will let you know that it has been serviced, we just don't have it on paper. All Books and tools are included (see pics). I have been told that there were only 25 White/ Black Ferrari Testarossa's in 1989, making it a very rare and desireable color combo. The leather seats are in very good condition and so are the carpets and mats (see pics). Just like every other TR I've seen, the leather dash has shrunk a little around the defrost vents. This Testarossa features a Tubi exhaust (see pics) valued at close to $10,000. Tubi exhaust systems are very sought after because of the rich tone they generate. It also features Proline wheels (see pics) valued at close to $10,000. These upgraded rims remind me of the later 512 TR wheels. The Michelin tires are new (see pics) with less than 1,000 miles. You won't believe how great the stereo in this Ferrari sounds. It has a CD/ AM/ FM stereo head unit, 6-disc changer, six speakers, and a couple of amp's that were all very professionally installed. Please feel free to give me a call if you have any questions regarding this vehicle at 205-223-4812 or 205-821-2497. Thanks and Good Luck

Now, I am actually holding onto a receipt for a Tubi exhaust that only ran $3,000(although I guess you could argue that that is "close" to $10,000) for an 89 Testarossa so this Tubi must be VERY good ;-) Same thing on the rims...don't those ballpark around $5,000(which I guess you could even make more of an argument as being "close" tio $10,000 ;-)??? And I love the line about the service history...or the claim about 25 of these being produced; is that even remotely close to the truth? Here is the actual listing on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2470449685&category=6212

I actually decided to call to see if they could give me the name of the factory where it was serviced and the reply was: "Well, we got it from a wholesaler, who got it from a wholesaler, who...blah, blah, blah and it was just misplaced." Wow...

Cheers,
    Travis

2. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Funny - I saw this auction this morning & had the exact same thoughts - 10k for a tubi? It was the low 2k on my 328. $10k for those rims? That seems high. And most disturbing of all was this line that you pointed out :

"One test-drive in this Testarossa will let you know that it has been serviced, we just don't have it on paper. "

3. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Oh my, that is too funny! One ride in the car will tell you all about the cars service history.

4. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    That's too funny, sounds like a middle man who has no idea at all about Ferraris. White is kind of interesting though.

5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    (quote) "Well, we got it from a wholesaler, who got it from a wholesaler, who...blah, blah, blah and it was just misplaced."

As my good friend Dr. Ken Rentiers is known to say: "This car should have marks all over it from the ten foot poles!" :)

Dave

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Where is Dr. Rentiers?? He hasn't been around in awhile.

He was gonna race with us last year, then had a conflict.

7. viper

viper Karting

Jan 26, 2004
    CHICAGO, IL
    Full Name:
    DR. J
    I purchased a 2003 360 Spider in which the dealer installed the Tubi option. It only ran me 5grand at the dealer as a dealer installed option. I can't imagine it costing anymore than this.
    Dr J

8. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I know that Tubi makes a complete header, cat-by-pass, exhaust for the 512M, so I only assume that they might refer that that. That setup costs around $10,000 for a compete set.

As for the wheels, well I know that OEM 512M wheels bought in the US of A cost around $8500 for a set of 4. (I know because I wanted to put a set on my 328..but was amazed at the price; they are notabley cheaper if bought in Europe) If they are the OEM TR special wheels (which look very similar) used primarily on 512TRs in Japan, I can see how they cost that much.

That all said I think this guy has a normal tubi (3k) and a speedline wheel set (5k max) just because of the nature of the rest of the documentation.

9. The Mad Hatter

The Mad Hatter Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    The Mad Hatter
    ...finally finished Ebay and went for $48,601.00...not bad at all!!!

Cheers,
    Travis
    on

10. silverf1modena

silverf1modena Formula Junior

Yea! Even with all the fishy stories on the ad, at 48K for a 89 TR is AWESOME! Let's wait to see if he joins the forum and see if he needs to pour in another 12K into it or nothing at all! If it is a legit car, that is one of the sweetest deals I have seen on TR!