Which Zaino? | FerrariChat

Which Zaino?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by mhh, Mar 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I've just bought a Gallardo in Giallo Halys (non-metallic yellow). Which Zaino should I get - Clear Coat or Regular?

Here's a pic of the color - any excuse to show off!

2. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I use regular, it actually says for regular and clear coat finishes on the bottle. That way it works on everything!

And, it works great, just be sure to get the hardener, too.

3. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks - what is the hardener called? I couldn't find it on the list I was checking.

4. 512Professore

512Professore Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    USA, GA.
    Full Name:
    Brian Strasburg
    CONGRATS on the new Gallardo !!! Very nice piece of kit, indeed. Since all modern cars have a clear coat, than would be your route. However, I think that Zaino is garbage, in that it is just another polymer covering. Paints need to be nurished, because they are usually petro/oil product based, and besides, IMHO, and as a professional detailer, a the Zaino leaves a sterile, industrial looking shine. I would reccommend a very good carnauba wax/glaz, as that will bring out the richness and depth of paint, which a polymer treatment can't do.

5. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks Prof. I am looking for a warm shine, so I guess I have more homework to do. I'll check your suggestion out.

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    uhhhhh...I think paints have been water based since about 1994, to achieve low VOC emissions. In US anyway.

I still use carnuba though, 'cause I'm old and I want to!

My gf's new Beetle they gave it "paint protection" and warned her not to do anything but wash it.

We had to come up with something else to do on the weekends! :)

7. 512Professore

512Professore Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    USA, GA.
    Full Name:
    Brian Strasburg
    Yeah, you are basically correct about water based paints providing lower VOC's for the sake of the EPA, but they still have petro derivatives in them. Europe is another story, as you well know.

Actually, the paint surface must be prepared properly in order for a carnuaba wax to adhear, claying the paint, polishing, whatever the surface requires, then wax it with high quality carnuaba. IF done properly, you don't have to wax "every" weekend, with plenty of free time remaining for the GF/significant other.

You will find that carnuaba can be layered over "paint protectants", i.e. polymers, sometimes producing a deeper and more natural shine, but you can't do the procedure in reverse.

8. VS1

VS1 Karting

Oct 16, 2002
    Beavercreek, OH
    Full Name:
    Vishal Soin
    I used only Zaino on my C5 for the past 3 years - but switched to Meguiar's NXT because it's a whole lot easier to come by and does not seal in everything. If you do not have a perfectly prepared surface you'll seal in any imperfections [like those little tiny specs of road tar, etc]. Zainophiles will jump on you because it does have some cleaning agents in it - but that's why I switched. It does have a bit warmer, deeper shine than Zaino but nothing I've tried lasts as long as Zaino. Zaino is the most durable stuff I've ever used but it does make the car look plastic coated IMHO.

I use Pinnacle Souveran on the 328. Has a nice, very deep shine and applies and removes very easily [just like Zaino and NXT]. The key to all of these waxes/polishes is very thin coats. I got a little heavy with the NXT on my dad's black SL500 and it caused some streaking. A bit of quick detailer cleared everything up - but now I know better.

For your Lambo I'd probably recommend the Pinnacle. Congrats as well.

9. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Congrats - Fabulous car!

I've done a few shows and tried everything out there, including the $1400 Zymol that was given to me as a gift.

For easy on, easy off...I agree with VS1. The new NXT is about as good as it gets..when I got mine you could only order it from Meguiars web site and was not out in stores, might be available now however.

Having said that, I always end up going to my favorite. Kasse - 2 stage system. It's a polymere but does not give that "plastic look", but rather that of a polished gem. I then follow up with a top coat of pure carnuaba. I like something called P21S, mail order only. However they do market the exact same wax called S100 and it's sold at most Harley dealers. Either way it's dirt cheap and tested over and over by blind studies and produces the best deep shine.

The carnuaba will go away after 4-6 washes, but the base under it will still be protected. Pure carnuaba can be applied in about 20 minutes, so it's not a big deal to top off your car every month or so...

Hope this helps....Your milage may vary...

10. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    In a recent sealant and wax survey of the best finishes zymil wax was WAY down the list, zaino was 2 I think and klasse no 4.

Whilst for sow purposes you get a better shine for a few days it does not last, zaino just goes on and on!

11. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

In my opinion, those evaulations (like Guru Reports) are interesting to read... but it ALL comes down to personal preference. Seriously, does durability really matter when the car is never driven in the rain, snow, or inclement weather? When you only drive once or twice a week, and store the car covered, in a garage, what's the diff?

There's no rhyme or reason to the products I use. It's just personal testing and a 100% subjective analysis by the only person I need to impress --- myself.

Just my .02.