F1 Dinner Shishkebab and Baklava | FerrariChat

F1 Dinner Shishkebab and Baklava

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by tifosi12, Mar 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Anybody up for some Arabian style lunch or dinner on Saturday? I'm thinking on going out to a place on the Northwest side (roughly Lawrence and Pulaski) in celebration of the Bahrain Grand Prix in Manama. Should be interesting.

2. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I might be interested....Will let you know later in the week,though. I visit that neighborhood occassionally,as,I am mostly of Polish Heritage. And,there are a few spots there to get some great Sausages and Sauerkraut. Not to mention,Pierogies. But,I don't get out that way as much as I used to. (Found a good Polish Deli out this way,in Bensenville.)

But,I've always wanted to try some Arabian Food.I never have.Sounds pretty good. I love Greek food,also.(well,you've seen my Girth...I like just about any type or kind of food....:)

Are you doing the F1 dinners thing again this year? That was really neat.

3. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Arabian food is absolutely delicious. Had it several times and loved it.

Yup, doing the F1 dinner thing again. Took pictures from my excursion to Outback and to Panang (Malaysian restaurant in Chinatown). I'll throw an original Sauber T-Shirt in as a price.

4. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Sounds Great. Don't forget...if you have a hard time finding Brazilian fare. We have a new restaraunt out this way,on the S.W. corner of Butterfield Rd. and Finley. (almost to I355) called "Sal Y Carvao" The sign shows one of those huge spits with Meat an it,that they carve off of right at your table. Haven't checked it out yet...but I will....:)

5. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    And...BAKLAVA!!!!! AHHHHH!!!!!!! Love that stuff!!!!!!

6. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Fogo de Chao right on La Salle street.

The biggest problem this year like every year will be the Canadian GP: What the heck is Canadian food?

While at Epcot center a week ago, I went to the Canadian part thinking, they might have some typical food. Well guess, what? Standard American menu.
    :(

7. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Well,eh,maybe some Moose steaks,eh. Or,Caribou? Bear? And,some Labatts,eh. Maybe they have some Northern Pike,or Muskie,eh. Grizzlie's on Lincoln,eh. Kind of Northwoods Canadian looking in there,too,eh. I haven't been in there in a few years,eh. But,I think that I recall,eh,that they had some of that Northwoods type food there,too,eh.

8. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I got it, eh. Just have to go OUT there, eh.

Your suggestion with Grizzlie's and Moose steak is spot on. Jack recommended that last year and that's what I did. Needed a lot of Jaegermeister afterwards. Heaviest meal of the F1 circus. Eh.

9. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    HoHoHoHoHoHo!!! Jaegermeister....WOOOOOOOOWEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!! I always keep a couple bottles of that stuff in my Fridge. And,I always make that same face as the guy that they had in their ads,and on the Table Tents that are placed on Bars and Tables.........

10. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I'm out of town this weekend--I hope I'm not destined to miss all the dinners like I seemed to last year! Maybe for the Canadian race we should have a cookout. I think that could be fun. If not that, then let's just go to a bar like Players where we can grab food and watch qualifying.Actually, while thumbing through the FIA rulebook, I stumbled across this quite odd yet somehow appropriate and little-known rule:

FIA Sec.247-15-708A "Snacks": Whereby any and all enthusiasts are unable to attend said Grand Prix meeting and, in an attempt by said enthusiasts to replicate meals generally considered native to pertaining region of the above mentioned Grand Prix meeting, in such an event whereas meals deemed appropriate to fulfill necessary requirements of proximity are determined to be unobtainable following all due process, then and only then shall it be determined that so long as the parties mentioned engage in the live viewing of previously mentioned Grand Prix meeting that any and all food substances consumed during the period beginning at and commencing with the period defined as "Qualifying" be considered appropriate indigenous foods of the region from which said Grand Prix meeting originates."

I don't know. It's a little wordy, Mad Max must have written it. But what I think it's basically some sort of exemption.

11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Salam (4636 N. Kedzie) at 5pm on Saturday it is.

Shalom!

12. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    As anxious as I really was to try out some Arabian food. I'll have to Pass this Weekend. It's my Weekend with my Son....:) But,I'm sure that I'll be joining you for some of these Dinners through the Season...:)

13. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    I'd go but have to work... I too love arabic food!