ANGEL HAIR SCRATCHES | FerrariChat

ANGEL HAIR SCRATCHES

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by msdesignltd, Mar 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    What are ferrari detailers using to fill ANGEL HAIR scratches...if someone at sometime in the cars life used a terry cloth instead of a Micro fibre cloth for wax or polish removal...then the car has Angel Hair scratches, those tiny spider web like multi directional micro scratches....what are people using to rid these unsightly dispicable scratches????
    Michael

2. 512Professore

512Professore Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    USA, GA.
    Full Name:
    Brian Strasburg
    There is basically nothing that will hide or cover up those nasty angel hair scratches. A nice machine polish job using a very fine polish must be used to actually remove the spider-webbing, preferably, a water based polish. Trying to remove them by hand/elbow grease usually does not work.

You are correct about the micro-fiber .vs. cotten towels, but over time, even washing and drying the car, will re-introduce the spider-webbing. OF course, using the appropriate washing mits and water/soap solution help the situation.

3. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    those are swirl marks, you can't help it.

4. gschiener

gschiener Rookie

Feb 29, 2004
    This link may help you out: http://www.properautocare.com/witporcabpol.html

5. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Also try www.showcargarage.com/forum/ Mike from Meguiar's came out to a PCA (that's the Porsche Club of America FYI - it is my wife's) meeting at the Auto Gallery in Woodland Hills last month and showed us a bunch of stuff, none of which I recall at the moment.

However, he did tape off half of a 996 hood to show us how to get rid or seriously minimize the spiderwebbing (car was black) and it worked bloody well. There is a thread in that forum that will show pix and say what was used.

6. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    2 ways to fix it.

1) You can hide them with a filler...you will find fillers typically in anything that has the name "glaze" in it. A favorite among many is 3M Imperial Hand Glaze or Meguiars #7 Show Car Glaze. Can buy at any Pep Boys, etc.

2) To remove (not hide) them requires that you polish them out with a buffer. If you're into a nice paint buy a random orbital, like a proter cable. You can not burn your paint with random orbital...so don't worry. A medium cut polish will take them out. I like Meguiars Dual Action Cleaning Polish, but there are many others that will work (3M Swirl Mark Remover, etc etc).

Hit it with a buffer, then add wax when done!

To keep them away in the future...A) use microfiber to wax/polish. B) micro fiber to dry C) Rinse the Heck out of your mitten/cloth when washing because your moving small particles of dirt while you wash.

Finally, When ever washing/waxing/polishing/quick detail/whatever, NEVER apply anything in a circular motion. Always wash,apply product,dry/wax in a Back and Forth motion. Hood, Roof, Trunk in the direction of the wind, Side of the car horizontially. That way if you do make a scratch by accident, it will not be nearly as visible.

MY $.02...your milage may very....

7. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    FOR HAIRLINEE TYPE SCRATCHES( NOT DOWN TO THE PRIMER,

I HAVE USED 3M IMPERIAL GLAZE AND BLUE CORAL

THEY BOTH WORK GREAT...KEEP PUTTING ON COATS AND WIPING IT OFF

GOOD LUCK,
    BRUCE

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Ouch, Dave!

9. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    HEY AL

WHO IS HE DIRECTING THAT ANSWER TO??

10. Well being the detailing freak I am all my cars are swirl free. The only real way to remove these is with a buffer with a compound that uses mirco abrasives and the heat and friction breaks then down removing the scratchs. Then using a milder compound bring out the shine and 100% swirls. Deeper scratchs need to use a stronger compound or wet sand followed by compound. This requires a rotary buffer or random orbital buffer. The rotary isnt for new commers it can damage and burn the paint and create buffer marks.

I would suggest taking your car to a Detail Shop and getting them removed by a professional with a buffer. When I say removed I mean totally gone not just filled.

11. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Griot's stuff should work better.

Try clay, then #3 wax then best of show wax, then speed shine

12. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Actually, they're not really swirl marks but just fine scratches in the coat. They look like swirls because of the light reflection.

13. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I read in a recent FCA news bulletin about a product called Langka. I spoke to the company president yesterday, nice guy, a fellow carnut. I ordered some of their products including their fine scratch removing system. I got to their site via the FCA sponsors link. It's www.fca-se.com/sponsors.

14. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Not me, BRUCE! LOL!

I only have one, and the swirl marks fall off when the rust pops out from all that 1976 factory rustproofing!

Speedy"Driving not shining"308

"Wax on..... wax off, wax on....... wax off"
    Karate Kid

15. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'm hoping I can get Chelle to drop over and respray the thing.

16. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks, Shelbee.

I think that's what I'm going to use on the black Turbo S.

Now if I can keep the dam_ cats off of it!

Speedy"Here....kitty, kitty..... have some tuna"308

17. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

I also recommend the 3M Imperial Hand Glaze - been using it for at least 10 years.