Why the 348 bashing? | FerrariChat

Why the 348 bashing?

Discussion in '348/355' started by RussianM3_dude, Mar 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    I have frequently read in magazines the negative opinions expressed on the subject of the 348. Someone famous even said that he thought the car was out to kill him. I quiet like the look of the car, especially with the Veilside body kit, and they are pretty inexpensive. So, whats the skinny on that one?

2. RAYMAN

RAYMAN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Raymond Santilli
    Beats me. I'm in awe of my 348. It's ten times the car of the 308 or 328, I drove a 355 and hated the power steering. There's not that much difference except for the extra 50 horsepower which dosen't make it a better car.

It's definitely getting a bad rap it doesn't deserve!

3. pizzadude

pizzadude Formula 3

Feb 20, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    I don't know why they would have a bad rap. I have a 308qv and love it but Dave Jones let me drive his 348 and that is one awsome car.

4. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    The 348 is a good car. Many here will attest to that. The platform is similar to the 355, which through evolution, is a better car. Some the changes were 6 speed instead of 5, variable power steering, 5 valves per cylinder, slight increase of power. You're correct in that the 348 has become an affordable exotic.

5. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I went from a 308 to the 348 and I can tell you the 348 is a fine automobile. It always cracks me up when people say "controversial styling" etc., when the darn car shares nearly every panel with a 355. Personally, I like the look of the 348 over the 355, with the "baby Testarossa" cheese cutter look. Different strokes for different folks, but for the money, you won't beat a 348.

6. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    I have driven a 348TS for 3 years and 22000 Miles. My caar has never left me stranded. Never been out of whack or given me problems that were not self-inflicted.
    The 348 has much more power than a 308/328 and is much more comfortable, has a better built, is not rusting, super modern styling and has a working AC. Overall the MUCH better car. of course the 355 is the next evolution. An overall better car but the price gap is so large that you have to seriously ask yourself if you want to pay for the few upgrades. If it was me, I'd buy a 348 any day over again. Actually I am driving a 348 Spider at the moment.

I personally hate the power steering on the 355s. Takes all the road feel away. Just my opinion though :)

Go get one, you will not regret it and never look back. You can customize it and not worry about "its not original" remarks. 348s don't win best of show so the co\ncourse guys will always go for the 355 or the 328s.

Have fun and enjoy.

Martin
    www.4Ferrari.com

7. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    As much as I love my yellow 99 355f1 spider. I was driving it and saw a black 348 with sheilds and my jaw dropped. They are the bargain exotic and well worth it. I love a 348 with 355 tail lights. That is my only complaint of the 348. Check mine out.

8. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    I really like the look of the car even stock, but what about the handling? Is it as dangerous as they say it is?

joeacc likes this.
  9. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Didn't the 348 get beaten up in a magazine article and the writer stated that the latest Toyota Supra was more fun and involved to drive?

Thus isn't the 348 just unlucky to have come out when the Japanese manufacturers were finally starting to make really interesting cars, ie. the Supra and the NSX.

In comparison Ferrari would always have struggled ... except for diehards.

Thus this has stuck to the 348 ... with the 355 seen as the Ferrari that put Ferrari back in the right direction.

Pete

10. carl63_99

carl63_99 Karting

Oct 22, 2001
    Nobody liked it. There was a post of a Forza article here just few weeks back. The 348 came out at the same time as the Acura NSX, which put the automotive world on notice, if only for a short time. Side by side, at that time, the NSX looked a lot better on paper than the 348. But, the 348 has stood the test of time, with the NSX being liked by a few diehards, and the 348 getting more respect now.

If you look at Ferrari V8 cars, and the development of the 348 alongside the corporate changes at Ferrari, you will see the 348 is the natural next step development of their cars. They took a big jump going to the unibody style and numerous other changes. If that car had come out three or four years earlier, it would have been astounding. But, with other offerings like the NSX, the sports car world had changed overnight, and the 348 didn't muster up to that test. Today, it's seen as a drivers car, power, handling, exotic looks, and that intangible Ferrari golden touch (Honda can't compete with that with all the computing power in the world) all make it a very nice car to have. It's one of my favorite Ferrari designs, and as many of the F-chat members have said, so what is someone can beat you in a stop-light drag, at the end of the day, YOU have the Ferrari.

C

11. jdb

jdb Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    I love those wheels with the yellow calipers! Any up-close pics of the wheels?

12. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    So here's a real story...I only track my Red 348ts with challenge everything and even white 355Challenge wheels (stock for 355C's) and full slicks. The interior is ripped out to the metal floor, the rollcage is yellow the front face has rock chips all over the place. I got a faded 348 challenge seat and only one to boot. Damn thing handles awesome at higher speeds than you will ever drive on the street. I threshold brake all day with zero fade but huge brake ducts since I took my fog lights out. I'm so low and tires so wide I had to bent the inner rear lips of my fenders in with a pair of pliers. I have no concours 348 in other words. This weekend was like any other. I'm at the track with a dirty oily 348. I just got back from a track weekend from Laguna Seca. All weekend long other cars NSX included were trying to catch the Ferrari or comparing their lap times to it. All the paddock kids come by to drool. Familys come by to take pictures with the car. Crowds often develop around it. The thing looks mean and serious. People love them. It was the radical styling of the TR and then the follow thru of the 348 which put Ferrari back in the minds of lay people. All Ferraris have issues I've been through 3 and they all suck in their own way. 350 miles back to L.A. on the trailer someone is always hanging in my blind spot checking out the car. I stop at Big Bubba's bar b que to pick-up a little driving food. I hear behind me, "do you see the Ferrari over there...." That's life with a 348 I never get with my cabriolet or magnum PI car. Be prepared that's the way it is. It is definately more crude and viseral. You want smoother, faster, more refined go with the 355. Personally, I do not like the look for the 360 but for now as a tracker it can't be beat.

13. David512

David512 Formula 3

Dec 15, 2003
    Northern California
    Many of these posts seem to be mostly about countering the bashing, which I believe is leaving out important data. I suggest a more rational investigation than just counter-bashing, anecdotal posts here. That early 348s had numerous problems is more than rumor or snootiness. Brandon Lawrence, who contributed to Forza' 348 buyer's guide (No 30, June 2001), told me that it's very important to get a late model. I also heard that early models needed a lot of fixes. A mechanic I trust said that Ferrari never fixed the weak alternator (or related circuitry--I don't remember), so he said 348s should be kept on a float charger to prevent component replacements. This is the kind of research that should be carried out before you buy so that you can be a much better informed buyer--better informed than if you are satisfied with the counter-bashing alone. I just looked at that Forza article. The first paragraph contains a stinging quote about the 348 from Luca di Montezemolo.

One of the article's contributors, Tom Shaughnessy, really panned the car, but Brandon told me that Shaughnessy admitted to him privately that he never drove a 348, FWIW.

With the round tail light kit, I think the 348 looks much better.