The Best Ride of Your Life? | FerrariChat

The Best Ride of Your Life?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by venusone, Mar 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    62 Ferrari 250 GTO at Roebling Road, where it doen't get any better.
    Dr Ron Finger driving. 2nd car produced. He sold it for 4 million a couple years ago. What was your dream ride? I couldn't breathe the rest of the day.

2. triXXXter

triXXXter Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Ft. Worth TX
    Full Name:
    Steven G. Ogden
    Drove 2001 911 Turbo for almost 2 days straight. I'll never forget it.

3. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Got to be 1 of those hot Buenos Aires nights w 2 girlies in my room :)

I miss those nights :)

4. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Hi Karen---It'd have to be my 512TR.......
    She was my first in a flat-12 Ferrari.
    Her power is sheer excitment yet the intimidation factor is feared.

5. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

The night in college when the girl that I was dating and her super hot room mate decided that it was time for us to try a three - oh wait, you mean cars... never mind.

6. Haha was the 355 near by

7. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    This is a tough one! My first ride was in a 78' 308 GTS (first picture) and that was AMAZING! I had no idea what to expect for my first ride, but whatever I was hoping for, it exceeded all my expectations! My first drive was in a GT4, and you never forget your first! Since then Ive ridden in 17 different Ferraris, driven 6 Ferraris and 1 Lamborghini, and had more fun than should be allowed!

However, I have to say the craziest experience was driving the Enzo. I never drove it hard or got to experience all that it could offer, but considering most people never get to see one in person, much less drive one, I just felt extremely privelaged! Life couldn't have gotten any better at that point :)

There is only one thing I haven't accomplished...Never been for a ride in my dream car: the F40! Its ok though, the longer the wait, the better it will be. Or maybe I will wait until I buy my own :)

8. Forza1

Forza1 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2004
    California
    Did that start out as a true story? :)

-DC

9. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Ah William. It appears that once again, great minds think alike. BTW, I am still waiting for Countach pics.

Actually, this is going to sound wierd but the best ride of my life (in a car this time) was about a month ago at my local raceway. I was out doing laps on my Ducati when I noticed that there was a guy with a very fast 944 Turbo race car. He accepted my begging for a ride and off we went. I have been out on that track as a passenger in lots of cars but this guy a phenomenal driver. I could feel how hard we were taking the corners. I could feel how the tires were gripping and slipping. It was a pretty phenomenal experenience. That was probably the ride of my life (in a car).

10. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

YEP.

BTW, in those days, I could only dream that I would own a 355. I knew that I would get one some day but I had no idea how or when. The only thing that I knew for certain was that I would work my butt off to make it happen.

Funny thing about college: 355=dreams, 3somes with super hot girls=reality

If I had to choose between the two today it would be a hard decision. :)

11. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    LOL you two....I was thinking the same thing. She was one hot girl. Could not get enough. All positions, all night long till I almost fell asleap inside of her. Jep, I admit it :)

12. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I'm sure Karen is more than thrilled to hear all this discussion...

Anyway, mine would have to be 1995 355 spider. First Ferrari I ever rode in. I'll never forget.

13. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Haven't had it yet... it'll be one of the drives through the mountains or coastlines this August (FCA 2004 Monterey) in my new Stradale.

I've only had parts of that to date. There was the coastline drive in Maui (The Road to Hana)... absolutely spectacular twisties... but I wasn't driving a Ferrari or even a sportscar... an SUV.

Then there are the many drives through the Rocky Mountains... many spectacular mountain passes... hill climbs at great speeds... well, at least as great as can be mustered in an SUV. I did do it once in my M3, though... that was sweet.

Then there are the drives in my Ferrari... both autox and track were awesome... but most of those were without passenger.

Taking passengers on first real drives in a Ferrari are some of the most memorable. Like taking some moderate twisties at ridiculous speeds... as we round a corner there's a 4-way stop... cars just starting their way across in front of me... my dad grabs tighter and says "$#it!"... I keep accelerating until the last possible second... threshold brake stopping the nose of the car directly over the white line on the road... I look over at him catching his breath and ask "You didn't think I could stop, did ya?" ;) Unfortunately, I also scared the $#it! out of the drivers who thought they were about to be T-boned.

The most memorable drive to-date, though, would have to be my first drive in my 360. I went to test drive it... the guy took me out, showing me how the F1 worked... I pointed him to my favorite twisty roads which he drove briskly... after a while, he asked "What do you think?" I was thinking, "he's not going to let me drive?"; but I said, "Well, I can't really tell much without actually driving it." After some hesitation, he traded spots... I wonder to this day whether he regrets that. After some moderate driving to get a feel for the F1, I let it rip on some roads that I know really well. In my M3 I can do about 72mph max; the roads undulate badly, causing the nose to get light in my 911, such that I can only do about 67mph. Thus, I've always considered the trek a tough test of handling. First drive, being somewhat timid because its not my car, the 360 took it at 78mph. SWWEEET. I look to my right... my passenger's right hand is turning blue holding on to the door and his knees are at his chest... he's in fetal position... wholly terrified! Ooops. But memorable as hell! I fell in love with that car... and have owned it ever since.

This August I expect to take my Stradale to Laguna Seca and the California country-side and coastlines, with passenger at probably all times... I can't imagine I won't have several new "best rides" to report here. Well, that's what I'm hoping, anyway.

14. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    DR Finger has a nice Mille miglia and a super cool 250 testa rossa. i just saw them a few weeks ago. rather not say where though.when i was in highschool i go to work on both his GTO and his 275gtb/c when it was at at J.J.I Restorations on Tybee island. Jim and Linda ( owners of JJI) have gone onto other things now, but the memories and a few pics i have still remain!!!! the sounds of those cars he has had and been so nice to share will haunt me the rest of my life. Karen, kudos to you for getting rides!!!!
    i also helped with some of the repair work after the car ( the 250 gto) was stolen from his garage and DRIVEN down I95 and recovered in south florida. trans was damaged, though i heard it may have been due to improper tow / recovery efforts.
    Karen i used to run a 70 Z28 and a old MR2 in SCCA here. did you have a z car that you used to run???? i am still friends with William M. !!!!!!! he ran RX7's, and lots of neons!!! ( now with turbos!!)

15. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Driving 10/10ths chasing an 03 Z06 and 03 Cobra all over Mulholland and connecting roads. Second best would be a quick ride in an XJ220-S, part of a dream fulfilled.

Sunny

16. Prancing_Horse

Prancing_Horse Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Arlington,VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    my best ride was my first ride in a ferrrari

it was a 96 355 GTB red/tan 6-speed with a tubi

but the thing is, i didnt remember much because i couldent belive that i was getting my first ride in a ferrari and i get a faint feeling.

17. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil

18. KMS

KMS Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 22, 2003
    Best rides for me would be in a 360 Challenge car a Willow Springs. 5 Laps of mayhem that was. Got back in my 88 Porsche 928S4 and wondered who the hell had put the air o matic suspension in my car.

Second was in a gutted, 73 911 track car with 250rwhp. This driving instructor took me down Stunt Rd in Malibu and quite frankly put on a driving clinic. He then took my Audi S4 and did much of the same.

Best drive for me was in a 6.0 Diablo. Drove it for about half an hour on familiar roads in Potomac Maryland. Got back in my Porsche and wondered who the hell had pulled half of my spark plugs leaving me with a four cylinder.

19. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    The first time I drove a Ferrari, back in the mid 80s. I was in college, and a friend of the family had a 308 that he let me take out. It was an awesome experience, and will always stand out since it was the first.

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Hmm, I haven't really experienced very much considering I have 6,000 good contacts! ;)

First experience was driving a 308 QV.

Driving my first "owned" Ferrari in the 328.

Driving my first 12 with a TR.

Getting a ride in vintage Ferraris, Greg512TR's 250 PF or a local 330 2+2.

Driving the challenge 160 mph down off the banking into TWS T1 full throttle and braking hard before the road disappears.

Driving a 550 150-160 mph through back country of beautiful Texas.

As far as "wants", won't be long before I get to drive a vintage Ferrari. That will be the highlight. Beyond comprehension would be driving a 333 and F1.

21. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Has to be the 355 spider my fantastic wife rented for me in Sydney for my 40th - took a few hours to get the left-hand shifting sorted as my other Aussie vehicle was an auto. Geez, we drove the crap out of that thing...(well, it WAS are rental car.....)

Cheers
    Kevin

22. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    I had my first memorable supercar ride at the age of 16. I had just got in a wreck a few days before and I was dropping the car off in the shop. As I was sitting in the lobby I heard a car pull up. I glanced outside to see this red widebody Porshe easing into a parking space. A man probably in his 60's steps out and strolls up. This was no ordinary Porshe however.

The guy could tell I noticed and I asked him what he had done it. He said "Have you ever heard of a company called "RUF"? UHHHH YEAH!!! That when I noticed he had the little RUF symbol on the hubcaps. He was going inside but handed me the keys and said have a look. I walked over to the car and was suprised at how low it was. Candy red with black leather interior. When I opened the door and sat down I noticed that this thing had a roll cage and everything. Tons of guages and a millions switches. My mom stepped outside to check it out and her only remark was "O you know you would get in so much trouble in this thing.:)

After a few minutes the guy stepped out. I asked him why he had it in the shop. He replied that every couple of months he liked to get the rock chips touched up. And then he said those famous words. "You wanna go for a quick stroll"!

I jumped in the passedeger seat in two seconds. This car didn't even have plain seat belts. It has a six point harness that I had to lock into. I felt like I was strapping into a space shuttle about to take off.

I wave to my mom who is oblivios to how sick this car is. We pull out onto the road in front of the body shop with nothing but open road and he nails it. Before I could glance over and let my eyes focus on the speedometer he simply says "That was a hundred. I've never felt a car pull like that in my life to this day and it's something I remember like yesterday. That is probably where the supercar bug hit me pretty hard.

We turn the car around after maybe 2 miles and he turns around. Coming back at a cruise speed was like the feeling you get stepping off a roller coaster. Everything sloooooows down and all you hear is the engine instead of the wind roaring. We pulled up and I unbuckled my seat belt. I was almost speechless and was able to mumble out a thank you. He said no problem at all and said anytime. He said he was a member of a Porshe club in Atlanta and traveled up there all the time. I realized when he left I never even got his name. A friend of mine told me he saw it a few years back but I have never caught the guy on the road again. If any of you guys know a older guy maybe in his late 60's earl 70's from Pensacola with a 1998-1999 RUF wide body Porshe tell that guy he has one one hell of a car one more time for me.

23. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I'm with you Rob. While I love contemporary Ferraris, I would love to drive a vintage or modern racer.

24. CarreraScott

CarreraScott Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    #24 CarreraScott, Mar 29, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Best ride (non Ferrari) was prob riding along with Hurley Haywood for a couple of laps around Road Atlanta (when I went to Porsche Driving Experience). Pretty amazing how close to the limit those guys drive.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. 4RE Bob

4RE Bob Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Bumpy turns 17 and 1 at Sebring at 10/10ths.