After market Springs & Shocks for 355 | FerrariChat

After market Springs & Shocks for 355

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by blkhorse, Mar 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blkhorse

blkhorse Rookie

Mar 27, 2004
    Macau
    Full Name:
    Reuben
    Can anyone recomend a good shop in the Dallas area to buy Shock & Spring
    sets for my 1995 355. or if not, a online store. I will be up that way next month.
    I will use my car for street racing sometimes !!! I MUST whip those Jap cars
    on the cornering like the Evo 7 & 8 and the Ipreza "they are good".
    every second person in Macau owns one.

2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003

You know that the suspension on the F355 is completely adjustible, as delivered. So you can dial in any particular combination of ride height, camber, caster, toe at both ends of the car with the stock accoutemain; did you not?

So, what do you want new springs for:: a) ride height, b) stiffness, c) camber control, d) dive control, e) squat control?

You are aware you need to match the shocks the the springs?

You are aware that you should match the anti-roll bars to the springs?

I recomment NOT street racing, this is NOT waht Ferraris are built to do well, and you can only loose.

3. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Mitch is correct. Also, try posting same question in the Texas Region of F-Chat and I'm sure someone will help. Norwood (a sponsor) is in Texas and builds engines...not sure about shocks / springs / etc.

4. blkhorse

blkhorse Rookie

Mar 27, 2004
    Macau
    Full Name:
    Reuben

Yes Im aware of this, I have had the car lowered about a inch but when HK ferrari drove the car they noted too much roll & a little soft I guess, they told me the shocks may need replacing and its better to buy a complete sets of shock & springs, not OEM.
    You may not know, but Macau hostes F3 on a street track every year also they have a super car race for locals like me who are crazy. lets see

5. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
  6. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I thought as much! <What?> As you lower a car with short/long A-arm suspension, the roll center is lowered somewhat faster than the car is lowered. In the stock location the lever arm between the rool center (4.2") and the Center of gravity (14") is ~10". Lowered 1" the roll center is now 2.6" while the CoG is 13.2", giving a lever arm of 11". So the car is 10% softer after being lowered than before! Just exactly the opposite as to what you want.

Since you lowered the car 1" you should be using springs that are 25% stiffer (4.2" compared with 3.2" has 3.2" as 75% of 4.2") with respect to the new roll center lowered 1.6" (about 35% total) just to keep the thing from bottoming on the road at the same force levels at the stock car would on stock springs.

A F355 is a little on the soft side in stock condition, especially at the rear. Lowering it does it no go whatsoever, unless you want to spend a bunch of money fixing what was not broke to begin with.

Its your money. Would it not simply be easier to raise the car back up to where it wants to be?

7. Mickey

Mickey Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Linnet Drive
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I would not race a Ferrari against/with the Jap cars at any time. This is not to say the F-cars are not as fast as the Jap cars. But they are just two completely different kind of cars.

Ferrari is in a league of its own !!!

The Jap cars just do not deserve to be compared with Ferraris.

The Jap cars should be happy enough just to be parking next to a Ferrari.

8. blkhorse

blkhorse Rookie

Mar 27, 2004
    Macau
    Full Name:
    Reuben
    Ok thanks, I will put the car back to the normal hight this weekend and see if it rolls less. your knowlage on this matter is very good thanks again.

9. blkhorse

blkhorse Rookie

Mar 27, 2004
    Macau
    Full Name:
    Reuben

Thanks Mickey
    Im just 2 hrs flight time from Jap land and under extreem pressure to perform!!
    HaHa. its all about fun at the end of the day.

10. Mickey

Mickey Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Linnet Drive
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Have a good flight and safe landing.

regards
    mickey

11. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    What a cop out! It's nice to be in a league of our own, unless that league happens to be in LAST PLACE! If the car isn't as fast as you'd like, do what it takes to make it faster, OR GET SOMETHING ELSE!

12. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    Thanks BB,

BTW, it's dot net. www.deltavee.net

I can rebuild to stock, or revalve for racing. I can save you over 70% of the cost of new dampers by rebuilding.

Yes, lowering the chassis certainly affects handling. For track day tuning, increasing spring and damping rates is advisable, in addition to lowering. Dampers must be matched to the spring rates, and chassis corner weight and unsprung weight.

There is no need to go with aftermarket shocks, as the originals are rebuildable, and tunable.

Best regards,

Rob Schermerhorn

13. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Rob:

Do you tune these shocks by oil selection or by altering the oil metering internally or both?

14. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    I use oil approved by Bilstein. I don't normally change viscosity of the oil. I have developed internal valving to suit sporting and racing applications for those drivers who desire more responsive cornering at some sacrifice to highway comfort.

I also perform rebuild service to original specification by replacing worn components, including the oil.

Thanks,

Rob