Mondial t hot start problem | FerrariChat

Mondial t hot start problem

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by roofguy, Mar 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. roofguy

roofguy Karting

Dec 10, 2003
    Alamo, CA
    Anyone have any experience with a Mondial t or 348 having a starting problem when hot. I had the starter rebuilt but the problem has come back. It only does it on hot days, over 80 degrees. If I let the car sit for 20 min it usually starts.

Is there a heat shield that would work?

I have heard of people using a ford solenoid with a direct hot wire to fix the problem in other High Performance cars.

2. Dr_ferrari

Dr_ferrari Formula 3
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 2, 2003
    Pocono Sportscar
    Full Name:
    Jim McGee
    Ferrari has a service bulletin for a fix. they as you say, have added a relay to supply direct 12volts to the solinoid instead of keyed somewhat 12 volts.
    You can make up the relay yourself, just a standard bosch relay where you set up the key power as a switch on the relay(instead of to the solinoid) and power from the battery hot of the starter to supply the power through the relay to the solinoid. it does solve the problem.

If you wish, ferrari does sell a kit to add the relay. has a pretty harness with the relay and connectors. I don`t recall the part number but if you check your local dealer, I`m sure they can help.

best regards, Jim

3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    When you crank the car do you hear a rattle from the rear like your kids stuck legos in your a/c ducts? Do you hear more rattle noise from a hot engine?

4. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    But before you do this diagnose the problem first!! Try using a remote starter switch to crank your car. If it cranks and starters the ford solinoid will not help. You can bypass the remote starter if you are really cheap by doing a temporary wire from the + battery and touching the small terminal on the starter. The car should crank and start. The solonoid that works is the external Ford solonoid from say a 80's lincoln continnental or similar. Search other web sorces under "external starting solonoid". I have does this before. Memory is that there is lots resistence in ferrari crap electricals. So instead of key 12v to the Ferrari starter solonoid you take the key 12v which is the small wire on the starter and run it to the ford soloinoid pin "s" if I rember correctly. The battery large 12V goes to one side of the soloniond large pin and the other large goes to the small terminal of the starter.

5. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Because I'm REALLY trying to make a positive contribution to the site, I just spent a good deal of time in the archives.

Is there any possibility RoofGuy's problem is related to the flywheel packing? I assume the Mondial T and 348 are nearly the identical car, so maybe something to consider... Perhaps try starting a hot car in 1st gear instead of neutral.

More importantly, check out this outstanding thread from the Archives about Jeff Burke's starter button. Should be about the same in a Mondial as 348, right?

http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/256120/252357.html

-Daniel

F1Flaherty likes this.
  6. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Yup dan,

That's why I said you have to diagnose the problem first. Also see my first post that was my first thought and the reasons for my silly questions. You have the number 1 most likely cause of such a problem. The key is yes or no on rattle and yes or no on remote starter.