Autotrader vs Ebay | FerrariChat

Autotrader vs Ebay

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by warrenn, Mar 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. warrenn

warrenn Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2004
    LA for now,NJ really
    Which one gets:
    1) More exposure
    2) Higher sale prices
    3) Which one has less / higher fees
    4) Finally, which one would you use?

I'm trying to figure out what the fees would be to sell a car on Ebay.. they have 5+ fee milestones. Insertion fees, pic fees, % on first 1000, % on next... etc.

For anyone that sold a car on ebay: What is the estimated fee for selling a car that is worth 10,000 including lets say 5 pics?

Autotrader is a lot more straight forward but I think it gets less exposure.

2. Forza1

Forza1 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2004
    California
    Figure about $100 for selling on eBay. Although, it is smart to browse around the listings to see if there is a fairly strong market for your car. Some cars I wouldn't bother trying to sell on eBay. Also, figure that if you sell it on eBay, that there is shipping that someone has to absorb.

I personally do the following: Run an Autotrader ad (in the book and online, not just the online ad only. Then I find the online forum for whatever car I'm selling(usually only performance cars have these), and post it for sale there. I let the ad run on the Trader for 12wks(until it expirers), then I go to eBay if it's still not sold. I think it's best to keep the sale of cars local within the state. If you're selling a beater car, don't forget about the newspaper :)

HTH.

-DC

3. warrenn

warrenn Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2004
    LA for now,NJ really

4. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I have sold cars and motorcycles in both. Price is similar, I think eBay is $30 to list and $30 when it sells. Plus a few dollars for supersize pics etc. Cars are different than the usual %age charges for first $25 etc. Total cost for my motorcycle sales are around $65. The Autotrader is about $50 for a list 'til it sells deal (or was last time i looked). It has pretty good circulation plus the web site. Downside is very limited ad size and a lot of tirekickers in your garage looking at all your stuff.

I write pretty good ad copy and have gotten excellent prices on eBay when I list at $1.00 with no reserve. Check this recent scoot I sold, look how many bids. A lot of bids get more people to look, then more bids....
    having lots of good feedback really gives bidders confidence. Good pics help too.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2465152964&category=50027&sspagename=STRK%3AMESSE%3AIT

5. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i use the autotrader $59.00 runs until it sells. pick up a local one near you and it will have a .com address to email your pics and ad from home. i have had good results with them, there are several fcars in the one i had a week or so ago. i am not a fan of ebay. i can usually weed out tire kickers before they come. most come from far away, meaning they are serious, no one drives the car but me unless i see the cash in hand.but my cars are not $$$$$ fcars either. best wishes whatever you do.