Anyone have pics of Borla TR exhaust? | FerrariChat

Anyone have pics of Borla TR exhaust?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by carguy, Mar 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I am working on the layout of my home grown exhaust system for my TR. I recall the Borla system (no longer produced) used 4 individual mufflers and I would like to see how they were arranged. If anyone out there has such a system and would post a pic or two I'd be most greatful! Thank You.

2. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    Jeff: I would like to see what you have come up with. After I get my engine in, AND if I have no leaks, then I will be working on a new exhaust also. I have an exhaust bending machine...........maybe we come up with something together, and I can make it.

Hank

3. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Hi Henry! My original plan was to have 4 very short bullit mufflers bolted directly to the headers, and then simply bend pipes out the back of the car. I got the shortest mufflers I could find, polished stainless, from Magnaflow. I then made flanges, flared the ends of the mufflers, and bolted them to the headers. Problem: there isn't enough room to clear the lower valence panel, it's close, but not enough room to run tail pipes off of each muffler. Scrapped that idea. Now I'm simply going to arrange the mufflers in roughly the same location as the stock one. I'm trying to figure out the best and easiest way to route pipes from the headers to the mufflers, and then again out the back. Borla had a similar system, and from what I've heard was the best sounding system you could get for a TR (personal opinions of course). I contacted Borla last year about their system....but they don't make it anymore. But they did send me a kind of blueprint of it !! Unfortunately it was lost when my last computer took a big dump. I have tried to get this information again from Borla but they are not responding. So I was hoping for a few pics if someone has this system.

4. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    My thought is to keep the pre-cats.........mine are gutted. That way one only has to work with one pipe from each side. From here one would do a 90 degree bend into a muffler, going across the car, and another 90 degree to the exhaust tips. This would also be the same for the other side. The mufflers would occupy the space already taken by the regular muffler.........however, those installed would be smaller.

5. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Yes I've thought along those same lines too...and still may go that direction if I can't work anything out with 4 mufflers. I did hear a TR with 4 mufflers at a car show, the system was custom made by Watson Engineering in Detroit I think. They do lots of work for Ford I believe. Anyway, the TR with this system sounded really different but nice, when rev'd it sounded like an indy car. And at idle it had a nice deep tone to it. I liked it. So I'm gonna try and work something out. But if not, using the precats and to free flowing mufflers is the way to go. I have an extra TR muffler that I can cut up if I need flanges or twin tips. Where would the O2 sensors to? I guess they could go in the precats?

6. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    While I like your idea of 4 mufflers, I think it would be very difficult to do. The O2 sensors would go into the pipe just before the muffler...........as I have placed mine in the test pipes, currently.

I cut up my muffler for the tail pipes. I machine my own flanges, since more would be needed.

7. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    Besides, with 4 mufflers, where would you place the "two" O2 sensor?

8. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Bill Badurski made an exhaust similar with 4 individual pipes, one from each header. He put the O2 sensors into each side's inner pipe. I'll see if I can find pics of the system. He used corvette resonator tail pipes, cut them as short as he could, and then routed pipe from each header to each muffler.

9. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Sorry for the double pic.....my mistake.

10. billy89tr

billy89tr Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    I have the Borla setup but I dont have pictures of it right now-I will take some tomorrow and post them. They look like four motorcycle mufflers. The sound is incredible too.

11. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Oh Thank You Soooo Much billy89tr !! I truly appreciate your helping me out here. I have not heard the Borla system in person, but others have told me that it is the BEST system ever on the TR for sound. I have contacted Borla several times but get no response. I believe they discontinued this system quite a few years ago. And they don't make anything now for the TR, or hardly any other Ferrari. I wonder why? There was a Borla system on ebay one or two years ago, but bidding quickly went out of my budget. Thank You again for your help.

12. typhoon116

typhoon116 Rookie

Feb 16, 2004
    Guys I have a Borla for an 87 TR sitting in my basement. I dont have any pictures, however I could get them by this weekend if interested. You can email me at [email protected] if anyone wants to make me a resonable offer. Thanks

13. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    You have mail.....!!

14. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    typhoon116....if you don't recieve my emails, then please email me at <[email protected]>. Thank You.