355 Fender Badge Placement | FerrariChat

355 Fender Badge Placement

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Capt, Mar 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Capt

Capt Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    North of Boston
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Folks,

I'm considering purchasing a set of the fender badges and was curious if there were any specs on factory placement?

Thanks,

Michael

2. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Michael,

You can take a look at a few pic's either on FerrariAds or Dupontregistry.com

Here is the FerrariAds link

http://www.ferrariads.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?search_and_display_db_button=on&db_id=1221&query=retrieval

As you can see - when I put mine on my 355 (notice my Avatar). If I remember correctly - I put them about 3 inches down from the hood line and 2 inches over from the door line - similar placement to the 360GT in the link above.

I had the Clossen (Glass Ones) special made (just had a new set put on in which the prancing horse is in Chrome - instead of Black like the avatar). I use 2 sided dupont tape - that way I can take them off (with somewhat ease) without hurting the paint... and they will not fall off (even though I worried about it for a while).

Hope that helps...

3. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Michael, if you're incredibly retentive, find yourself a 355 Fiorano edition, where the owner got the shields from the factory (the enamel ones mounted in the indented fenders). Measure from that. If you're somewhat less retentive, find some pics of the Fiorano 355, and take some measurements (using ratios) from that.

Or, get a sheet of very thin flexible magnetic backing from any commercial sign show, mount the resin sticker shields to that, then cut it out and apply to the fenders. Looks seamless, and you can move them around (or remove them).

vty,

--Dennis

4. Capt

Capt Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    North of Boston
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Dennis,

Retentive is my middle name ;-)

Do we have anyone in New England with a Fiorano 355?

-Michael

5. 512Professore

512Professore Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    USA, GA.
    Full Name:
    Brian Strasburg
    Actually, in my perhaps weird and eclectic collection of Ferrari poster, prints and car parts hanging on the wall, I have a right front fender from a 355 Fiorano edition, which of course has the indentation for the shield. If you would like, I can take some measurements of the factory placement, and post it.

6. Capt

Capt Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    North of Boston
    Full Name:
    Michael
    You would be my hero...funny I saw something like that for sale on Ebay last night. I'll watch for your post.

-Michael

7. 512Professore

512Professore Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    USA, GA.
    Full Name:
    Brian Strasburg
    Michael,

Glad I could help you. OK, climbing up the ladder with a dumb, non-laser guided tape measure in hand, here is the shield placement references.

I used the the very top, pointed tip of the shield indentation in the fender as the reference locator point. From the top of the fender, where it meets the hood(bonet), measure down vertically 2 15/16 inches. Then, from the edge of the fender where it meets the door, measure horizontally 4 3/16 inches. I did not include the actual gaps between the fender and the othe other body panels, so as to clarify for you. This should give the point of intersection where the the very top/center of the shield should be placed. To get the shield aligned, the very bottom tip of the shield is located 4 5/8 inches measured horizontally from the edge of the fender where it meets the door.

Have Fun.

8. Capt

Capt Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    North of Boston
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Brian, Thanks a million!!

Once I get the front bumper repainted and the clear coat wet sanded (too many bad detailing jobs prior to me) I will add the shields.

-Michael

9. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Do you have any pics of the new shields with the chrome horse? That sounds nice. Who made them for you?

Here is the Fiorano for reference :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6212&item=2469133289

10. 512Professore

512Professore Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    USA, GA.
    Full Name:
    Brian Strasburg
    Michael,

Too many bad prior detailing jobs ????? Too bad you don't live in my neck of the woods, as I am the best detailer around... just ask my F-car customers, P-car customers, etc.

Have fun and keep the rubber side down.

Ciao,
    512Professore

11. Capt

Capt Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    North of Boston
    Full Name:
    Michael
    We have an office in Georgia, I may have to look u up the next time I'm in town.

The clear coat is just scratched to hell. Not too deep mind you but enough that in certain light, it's a mess. I've tried Zymol and it hid some of them but what I'm hearing is the only way to truly get rid of them is to wet sand and buff them out. The nose is chipped to hell from all my driving last year, so that needs to be painted, then I had a freaking small branch fall on the hood from 15 ft up, and need 4 qtr sized dents removed either with paintless dent removal or body work. Once all that is done I'm making the jump to Zaino Brothers and the clear chip guard for the front. I hate all the stuff that happens with driving these beauties and can finally understand why they become garage queens but I enjoy driving it too much to stop :) so i just try to budget some funds every year to clean up anything that happened in the previous one.

-Michael

12. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I have a 99 355 Spider that isn't a Fiorano but had the badges installed on it at the factory. My fenders are indented to fit the badges. If you don't have indented fenders I would think that the badges would stick out more?

DrewH

13. 512Professore

512Professore Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    USA, GA.
    Full Name:
    Brian Strasburg
    Michael,

Thanks for more details regarding your prior detail jobs. Yeah, its a ying-yang deal with these cars.... if you drive them and enjoy them, then paint mis-haps will occur. But, if the cars become garage queens, then the engine seals and gaskets rot away.... can't win, and especially with all the trash and debris on our highways, chips and such happen, but no big deal.

I would stay away from that Zaino stuff(crap), as it's just another polymer treatment that covers, or should I say smothers the paint, and doesn't feed the paint like Ferrari paint needs, especially the Glasurit. Glasurit paint is pretty soft paint when compared to the others, such as PPG. Sounds like you need a good machine polish(several grades of polish), then followed by a really good carnauba(several coats) wax/glaze. The polish I use is made in Germany, and Mercedes, Audi/VW, Ferrari and BMW all use the same stuff during painting/assembly. Zymol is very good stuff, but they make different grades of it, and without some good experience with it, it can be difficult to work with. The Zaino stuff tends to leave a sterile, industrial shine, and does not provide the richness and depth to the paint like a real good carnauba does when properly applied, etc. Besides, if you choose to switch from the Zaino stuff in the future, the Zaino must be stripped before something else can be applied. Also, with the true show/concours cars I know of, nobody uses Zaino.

Yeah, for sure, since you have an office in Georgia as well, feel free to "ring my chimes" when in the area. If you don't mind, what type of business are you in ??

14. Capt

Capt Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    North of Boston
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Brian,

Thanks for the information.

So you would machine polish it over wet sanding? maybe start with the machine polish....and specific products that you like?

I work for a company called Geotrust and we are a certificate authority. Basically we compete with Versign on providing SSL and client certificates.
    We spun out of Equifax also located down your way.

-Michael

15. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    There are a few prof detaillers on here one is i think JAG XJ6 he posted a huge survey on waxes and polishes.

These tested for shine, longevity,application, ect

zaino was no 3 i think, Klasse no 4

The wazes might be good for a show car but if you ever use it!- the syththetics are better