End of civilization this year ? | FerrariChat

End of civilization this year ?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by WILLIAM H, Mar 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Now heres some scarey stuff.

http://www.rense.com/general50/sep29th2004.htm

Use this NASA orbit Silmulator & plug in the date Sept 29, 2004. Its not good

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/db?name=4179

Might want to read Arthur C Clarke's LUCIFER'S HAMMER or rent ARMAGEDDON or DEEP IMPACT for an idea of what Could happen

Worst thing is we have the technology to do something about this but our leaders care more about getting themselves Re-elected than they do about the welfare of the planet. This thing is 3 MILES LONG !!!!! Thats got to equal an explosion WAY beyond Hiroshima If it hits. We're all going to have a bad hair day Sept 29 if the worst happens.

I suggest you figure out what you want to do before you die & get it done before then :(

2. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
    "On September 29th this year a 3 mile long asteroid will make the closest predicted approach of any asteroid or comet to Earth during the next 30 years, say scientists at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory Near-Earth Orbiting Programme Office*. They predict the asteroid will come within 963,000 miles of Earth..................a very near miss."

2004 FH just came within 26,500 miles of the Earth's surface on March 18. I'll be keeping my stock.

3. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    2004FH was just a baby, less than 100yards long. probably would have burnt up in the atmosphere or left a medium sized expolosion somewhere. This thing is a Friggin Monster , 3 MILES LONG !!!!! That would leave a Serious bruise.

When are these idiot politicians going to do something to secure us from this menace ?

65 Million years ago an Asteroid impacted Earth & wiped out the ruling species in a Nuclear winter. We say Dinosaurs were dumb because they had massive bodies & brains the size of walnuts.

What will the next intelligent Earth species say about us ? " Those Humans were so foolish, They were smart & they had great technology but they were so busy killing or stealing from each other that they didnt bother to prevent their own extinction."

That sounds dumber than a Dinosaur

4. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    HA HA HA LOL!!

5. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    "better to burn out than fade away"
    of course the sun will expand on day and swallow....... well almost the whole solar system.......... not that any of us will be around.... but our words will be frozen in time on FerrariChat until then!!!!! thanks Rob!!!!

6. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
    I totally agree about the size. I don't want that behemoth dropping on me, that's for sure!

My point is about the closeness. 2004 FH may have been small, but it came REALLY close. SUPER close. This guy is huge, but in terms of just how close it'll come, it's still far away.

...but you can point and laugh come september. ;)

7. reinerkaiser

reinerkaiser Karting

Nov 25, 2003
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Reiner Kaiser
    William, others,

this thing really looks very interesting! I'd like to point out that most all
    regularly re-occurring events on earth with long periodicity (ice ages, mass extinctions of biomass) are driven by cosmic impacts.

As a matter of fact, the frequency of these impacts is not constant,
    but varies (periodically) over time, and as such is controlled by the
    orbit parameters of the earth (which are slowly changing) and the suns
    position in the Milky Way.

For example, ice age patterns are periodic and seem to correllate with
    the earth orbit inclination w.r.t the ecliptic plane. It appears that right
    now we are far out of the ecliptic plane, but will get ready to re-enter
    it, and pick up more debris and space "dirt" when we do, leading to gradually
    decreasing temperatures.

In addition, mass extinctions occur with a fairly regular rythm and are
    caused by cosmic impacts. This impacts seem to peak every 30 million
    years or so, which means that during those times earth is exposed to
    a massive onslaught of cosmic bodies with varying sizes.

If a 3 mile size object would hit, it would lead to the elimination of more
    than 90% of biomass on the earth, and a dramatic drop of temperature
    over several YEARs.

In my opinion, this (and future ice ages) are the largest threats
    to the survival of mankind, and should be addressed. I agree that
    the technology to detect and derail these objects needs to be advanced
    with the highest possible priority!!!

8. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    Does this mean I will never have to change the belts on my Ferrari again?

9. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    If it doesnt hit then we should take advantage of this great opportunity to send probes to it & maybe some robots to do some test mining on it.

A rock this size must be worth $$$ Billions in mineral respources, maybe Gold, Platinum, silver, exotic minerals, maybe even a little frozen water

If it were up to me I'd send a crew up there with mining equipment to start strip mining it with robots . Its probably thick enough that you could set up a nice cozy building inside it to live in. It would make a Great & Cheap spacecraft. We could line it with probes while its near Earth so it can send data back to Earth as it rides around the solar system. Or we could set up a habitat on it & have our first real space colony or we could attempt to strap some engines on it and try to get it into an Earth Moon orbit. It would make a great spaceship or even a great facility for factories, defense testing,

10. pozzi

pozzi Formula Junior
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 28, 2004
    Brasil
    Full Name:
    Fabio Pozzi
    TIME TO LEASE MY FERRARI, LAMBO AND OTHERS... I'LL TRY TO MAKE THE FIRST PAYMENT ON SEPTEMBER 30TH !!!!!!!!!!!! LOL !!!!!!!!

11. racerx

racerx Guest

Nov 23, 2003
    William i thought it was because you saw what i saw this morning. That william hung or whatever he is called is doing a concert on the today show tomorrow. When i heard that i thought " THE END IS NIGH, REPENT!!!!!!!!!"
    t

12. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thats it boys. Time for me to start running the streets naked and steal as many Ferraris as I can while I hum the theme to Bonanza.

13. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    LOL. perfect reply.

14. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Ummm....couldn't you assign your girlfriend to do that? :)

15. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I suppose.

16. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    "963,000 miles of Earth"

Far as hell!

AND

"If it doesnt hit then we should take advantage of this great opportunity to send probes to it & maybe some robots to do some test mining on it."

Depending on how fast it moves and rotates on its axis, we may not be able to land on it. But I agree, the study of it would bring new life into owr sciences.

And when it passes by, I'll grab my boy toy and yell "suck on this! I'll already be dead the next time you pass by!" O, wait, I'll already be dead? Awwwwwww.

17. Prowler

Prowler Karting

Jan 10, 2004
    Glendale,Arizona
    Full Name:
    Matt
    great movie....

"i have something to say!!!"

"there can only be one......"

18. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    "End of civilization this year?"

From what I see, civilization has been dead for some time now.

19. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    There is, I think, a little bit of misunderstanding of just how close this thing is going to get (or isn't going to get I should say).

The closest it will get is 0.0104AU. Sounds close, eh? Well, 1AU is about 93 MILLION miles. It will get around 960,000 miles close to earth. Not very close. Its probably about as likely to hit us as you would be able to hit a specific blade of grass with a lawn dart from 50 meters away. Maybe with enough shots, but any given shot is very unlikely to hit.

We have nothing to worry about on 9/29/04 IMO.

20. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    No, of course not. But my above provided links are still highly amusing. :D

21. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    So what alert color does that respond to? Brown? cause you , well you know....

22. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I Hope not byte we still have to do something to protect Earth from future impacts.

1) we should use this great opportunity to send probes to this asteroid & at the least mount some scientific equipment on it to send data back to Earth of its travels, We can get a free tour of the soalr system on the back of this thing so why not.

2) An enterprising Co could stake a claim on this thing thats probably worth $Billions just by shooting a probe out to it. Later as technology develops we can send robots out to set up a robotic mining facility there

3) we could send people there after robots have dug out the center & set up a nice cozy habitat. Its a natural spacecraft & the rock is probably thick enough to block radiation. Add some large rocket engines &we may be able to establish some control over its direction. Meanwhile we have a great shell for a spacecraft for free & we can mine it for resources while we use it as a spacecraft

4) We seriously need to find a way to deal with a menace like this in the future because it IS coming. Best idea is to divert it off course & strip mine it. next best idea is to find a way to destroy or divert it if we find it unusable

23. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Im not sure if it has been mentioned already, but the asteriod that wiped out the dinosaurs was six miles wide. This three mile asteroid would have similar effects. I dont really think its anythinhg to worrk about, as there are alot of near earth objects out there and earth is pretty small. I was watching a program on the history channel, i forgot what it was called, but it had a segment about ways to stop objects from hitting earth. One was planting a nuclear device on the aseriod to change its course. If an object was actually going to hit earth, we would find a way to make it miss. We realy wouldnt have any other choice. I dont think we have anything to worry about.

24. Slim

Slim Formula 3

Oct 11, 2001
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    richard