Anyone here able to trace a licence plate to an owner? | FerrariChat

Anyone here able to trace a licence plate to an owner?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by SefacHotRodder, Mar 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    There are 3 cars that i'd like to know the owner of. This is for personal use only (ferrari database thing). If anyone is able to find out details of a car with a license plate, could they PLEASE pm or email me ([email protected])

It would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Chris

2. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    This is illegal in the UK. Also saving information about an EU citizen on any database requires the consent of the individual and there are specific issues about holding this information on any database located outside the EU. Data protection over this side of the pond is a big issue (and sometimes a major pain in the ass)

3. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert

4. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    Unless you know a policeman I agree with the others about the legality issue.

One caveat; could you look in the FOC register. Admittedly this is now 2-3 years out of date but depending on the historic nature of the cars you are looking for there is a chance the owner's name is given in there.

5. stevej33

stevej33 Karting

Feb 16, 2004
    Lincoln, UK
    Full Name:
    Steve Jollands
    i thought there was a way of tracing previous owners through DVLA.....
    it may only be once you own a car, but im not sure. i think if you ring them
    they will be able to give you the low-down.
    hpi check will only be able to tell you amount of keepers, and last keeper
    change date. but no info on owner detail.
    DATA PROTECTION and all........
    steve j

6. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    You can do a previous Keepers History Check on your own car through the DVLA.They will send you copies of all log books with previous owners names. Costs a fiver.

Steve

7. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Ahh. I had a nice chat with Jim Wells a couple of days ago about the Stow event. Should be excellent and hope to see you there.

Kevin

8. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    And if you want the address of the current keeper you could always pretend that they've bumped your car and ask the DVLA for contact details, very dodgy way of doing it (told to me by a very dodgy car dealer and his dodgy barrister brother!)