Coldest blooded 3.2 in the world | FerrariChat

Coldest blooded 3.2 in the world

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by jedsnephew, Mar 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jedsnephew

jedsnephew Rookie

Jan 2, 2004
    Folks,

I'm curious if anyone else along the way has experienced what I'm getting.

Here it is:

- Completely stock, had 30K major service 5 years and 6,000 miles ago, 1988 3.2 Mondial Cab that is VERY, VERY cold-blooded (as in, backfires, stalls and can't even be driven up the driveway until it has been running for at least five solid minutes) when first started (not joking).

- When warmed-up, however, it pulls and runs like a champ, although it stills smells a little rich (makes your eyes burn when standing at the rear of the car).

When I first got the car, it was so bad that I was afraid that it was only running on six cylinders. It seems to have gotten a little better, but not much at all. I have run three bottles of Techron and four tanks of fresh premium gas through it. It doesn't smoke at any point, even under hard acceleration when warmed up, and it doesn't burn any oil.

Sorry to "take, take, take" information at this point, but I'm afraid that I still don't know enough to be of much help here yet. (Incidently, thanks a million for the oil change and cooling system bleeding instructions a little while back. Worked like a charm!)

Thanks a ton, in advance,

Mike

p.s. Time for timing belt replacement, since the major service was 5 years ago, even though it only has 6,000 miles on them?

2. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    [
    p.s. Time for timing belt replacement, since the major service was 5 years ago, even though it only has 6,000 miles on them?[/QUOTE]

Yes It is overdue for a timing belt replacement

3. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    5 years is 5 years...... umm in my non owner opionion i would think its a good idea not to risk your valves and pistons becoming as one and go ahead and change the belt,tensioners, ect. your "cold blooded" condition sounds like a lean die out. ie your injectors are not firing as they should in relation to the amount of air. i dont have a clue if the Mondail has a MAP or mass airflow sensor, but it should definately not be that finiky at idle when cold. 5 years and only 6k miles = mostly sitting, is a long time for "stuff" to have gotten in the induction and fuel system.
    edit. bg44k stuff is GREAT for cleaning injectors, though i have been having a hard time getting enough of it lately.

4. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    My guess is that you have a Warm Up Reg. in need of replacement. Get your fuel pressures checked. You cold control pressure is off from the way it sounds. It is either near warm control pressure or the WUR goes from ~20psi to ~45 psi to quick. That or you mix. adjustment is way off but to me sounds like a WUR.

5. fletch62

fletch62 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Fairhope, AL
    Full Name:
    Larry Fletcher
    If you call me I can talk you through a full system check of your fuel injection system. It sounds like a warm up regulator is causing a lean mixture in the cold running mode. I am a rebuilder of Bosch Fuel Distributors and have one of my distributors that can supply you with a WUR at a very good price if that is your problem. If you call me I can talk you through all the tests needed on the CIS injection system.
    Thank you
    Larry Fletcher
    CIS Flow Tech Llc.
    251-929-3771

6. Forza1

Forza1 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2004
    California
    Wouldn't it be considered "warm blooded" since it doesn't run well cold?

-DC

7. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    Yes It is overdue for a timing belt replacement[/QUOTE]

Mike,

Read the owner's manual. It gives the factory recommended belt intervals.

Tom

8. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    No, cold-blooded in the ense that the engine takes on the temperature of the environment outside of it, as opposed to warm blooded where it's warm no matter what temperature it is outside (reptiles vs. mammals) :).

"Cold-blooded" Ferraris are the rule--I let mine warm up 5 minutes before I sit down! We've all heard how 308s in cold weather barely get the oil up unless you block the cold air flow to the oil intercooler!

9. GearHead

GearHead Karting

Jan 3, 2004
    Why is that, at least on injected 308s?

Cold running seems like it is really just a function of the injection system, and the 308 uses the standard CIS like millions of other cars. Seems like any CIS car should just fire up and drive well, warm or cold.

10. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    As crazy as it sounds, Ferrari 3.2 engines were noted by contemporary road testers in my Brooklands road test compilations to be a bit temperamental until warmed up. That's quite normal for many Ferrari engines to need a warm-up to operating tolerences. One C&D (I think) tester even said it sounded 'like old plumbing when starting up'. I would agree driving mine with Kjet for 6 years. I never could understand why with all those VWs and Volvos running around with Kjet without that behavior. Once warm though, it is butter smooth.
    Even more unbelievable to me is the fact of that cold start-up behavior and sound greatly improved unexpectedly when FI was replaced with Webers.
    In any event, I have always let mine warm up for about 30 seconds to a minute, then gently drive until things come up to temp.