Ever regretted buying a Ferrari ? | FerrariChat

Ever regretted buying a Ferrari ?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by AndersJL, Mar 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AndersJL

AndersJL Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2001
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    AL
    Has anyone of you ever regretted buying a Ferrari ? -If so, why ?
    Just curious to know.
    I am regretting not buying two at the same time, but there were some comments from home if I would have ....;.)
    /Anders

2. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Everyday.... because I know I'm spoiled... how can I be expected to drive something else daily? :D

--Dan

3. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    My only regret is not buying one sooner!!!

4. Mickey

Mickey Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Linnet Drive
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The answer is 'NO'.

Assuming that you are a fan of Ferrari and your F-car is the one you had in mind, there can be no reason why anyone would regret buying or owning a Ferrari.

Remember, no other car in this world can give you a better sense of ownership than Ferrari.

5. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Hmmm...

i regret that Americans can get a drivers licence without any REAL training/knowledge about vehicle dynamics.

i regret our outdated speed limit laws on certain highways.

i regret our corrupt/buyable legal system.

i regret that America allows certain people who really should not be driving (due to their lack of skills/proficiency) to drive on our roadways (i.e. elderly in Florida).

6. AndersJL

AndersJL Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2001
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    AL
    Steven,
    I viewed your profile. How in the world did you manage to get the engine into that shining, great looking shape...????
    Pls. tell me the story / pics ?
    Brds
    Anders

7. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    How can anyone regret buying the car that every red-blooded male wants.

8. roccapalumbo

roccapalumbo Karting

Mar 16, 2004
    ohio
    Full Name:
    robert
    My only regret is not buying one sooner. I can not imagine never not owning an F-car now. I am sure that the porsche dealership that I have been using is not to happy about that. It is hard to explain all the emotion that I feel when driving my 360 F1. Fantastico! Amo tanto il mia bella macchina! Ciao tutti.

9. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Andres,

The previous owner, Fchat member 348turbo, did a great job at engine aesthetics and some mechanicals. Since that pic the engine has been cleaned up further in the sense that it had a major service and some of the not needed emissions bits (for USA) were removed as this 308 is a proper Euro.

BASICALLY, some of the engine parts were removed and reconditioned/repainted. Maintaining includes some Simple Green cleaner, spray accordingly and be careful for the electronic bits. Then LOTS of elbow grease with toothbrush, microfibre towels, etc. It simply takes time and care. As i type this the suspension is being reconditioned and modernized to not only lower her stance, but to also make it dual adjustable and more "tweakable" for various road conditions/duties (i.e. street one day, track the next). The next step is to have the interior redone.

Previous tasks were realigning ALL gaps and she now has all new emblems and lights/assemblies (see http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/256120/281490.html). The main headlights have been converted to modern Xenon.

Ok, probably more than you want to know, though she is indeed well-loved and also my DAILY driver... that is when i actually HAVE a drivers license (don't ask).

Enjoy the Walk (45 days to go),

Steven R. Rochlin

10. funshipone

funshipone Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2002
    Harrison Twp. Mi. US
    Full Name:
    John Bicsak
    No, only wish I would have purchased sooner. Now I want another one that is faster.

11. BeachBum

BeachBum Formula 3

the neighbors down the street just built a 2 million dollar house, i was talking to rachel one day asking about the house and she commented that building the house was more fun then living in it, she said its probably like owning a ferrari, wanting one is probably more fun then having one, of course i set her straight, i told her owning and driving a ferrari is way more fun then wanting one, i took her kids for rides, now they want doctor daddy to get one lol

12. formula1joe

formula1joe Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe Bennett
    Do I regret it? That would be a giant NO. I can not wait to buy another one.

13. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Sometimes i do when one of my mates tells me that his German precision made porsche 911 was not run in at 40,000 miles, and that for a few grand more than i paid for my used 1995 355 spider i could have bought a brandnew 911 with years and years warranty and knowing that i will have thousands and thousands of miles of reliable motoring ahead. If only Ferrari was not so bloody beautiful.

14. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    A life long goal was to have a Ferrari before I turned 30. I did it, and have ever looked back. Do I regret it? HELL NO. I only wish I did it 5 years earlier. I try to live my life so that I don't look back and regret not doing something.

15. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Maybe the best question should be: 'Ever regretted selling your Ferrari'.

My first was a pristine '85 308QV. I sold it because I thought it was too expensive to sit in my garage and only put 300 miles on it a month. Dummy me! Ya, I missed it for a long time until I bought another 308. I'll be burried in this car!

16. Riv

Riv Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Poconos, Pa
    No regrets at all. It has opened up a whole new world and introduced me to new group of people all with a common passion. My only regret would be not owning one.

Riv

17. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    No

18. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well, I did have brief panic attack driving my first yellow 308GTB home, but I'm looking for a second red one now, so I guess I don't!!!!

19. isellpower

isellpower Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Most of you posting that you don't regret it don't own a 95 355. Friggen headers. If I kept it clean I would sell it today and buy a 996tt or wait for the 360's to drop sub 100k.

20. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven

Can we get an AMEN my friends?

:) Go on with your bad self Brother Peters :)

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

21. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Regret = no...but that doesn't mean pain-free ;)

22. udalmia

udalmia Guest

I was the one who convinced my dad to get our 36 spider. Initially, he wasnt too keen on it and almost "regretted" it. However, now that he's driven it for 2 weeks, he LOVES it! Bitten by the italian bug he has been :D

23. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    No regret as the beauty of this car is pleasing to my eyes everyday.

However, the disire never stopped here as I am looking to add or change to other Ferraris. Surfing the net takes almost 3-4 hours every week to look for the next Ferrari, plus my normal surfing & F-chat. This adds up!

Another thing I worry is where or how I park my Ferrari at non-valet places. When I visited a friend's apt., several people gathered around my car when I was in her room. I didn't know what to do as some people started to taking pics or leaning on the car, etc. I didn't had to worry like that for my other cars before!!!

24. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    the only regret I have is not driving it more while I had it!

john

25. gary308gtb

gary308gtb Rookie

Oct 9, 2003
    I certainly do not regret buying my first Ferrari (1978 308GTB). I received the car in good condition, but after a year of ownership, I have had things done to the car which certainly make it a "great" 308.

Since I am newly married, (don't ask me why) but I am trying to limit my cars to just 2. I just constantly change cars to a different model every 2 years or so.

My car for daily usage is a 2002 BMW 525i. And the 308 is only for Sunday mornings since I live in Asia were the traffic is always bad.

My question is : I am content with the beauty of admiring and owning a Ferrari even if it is 25 years old. My 308 is in perfect running condition, however, I don't find it too exciting more so exhilarating, when I drive it.
    I can reach top speeds of 220kph, but still find it sluggish overall. I was considering selling the 308 and buying a 1996/97 Porsche Carrera.

"WILL I BE MAKING A BIG MISTAKE ???"