FCC "f word"...true?? | FerrariChat

FCC "f word"...true??

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by fanatic1, Nov 17, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fanatic1

fanatic1 Guest

Nov 1, 2003
    columbus
    Full Name:
    philip
    Someone just told me that the FCC voted to allow the word Fuc# on television and radio.........supposedly they can use it in any manor except to describe a sexual act............anyone know if this is true?

2. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I certainly hope its not true. If this is true, then whats next???

3. JimSchad

JimSchad Guest

I have heard that on radio before, but not yet on TV. In songs they will bleep it if they are saying they "want to F you", but if they are just saying "F you" or "F off" they don't bleep it. The cleaner stations bleep all incidents of it though.

I was watching some 80's rerun movie the other night and they bleeped the word ass or fart..something silly like that, but then proceeded to say ***** 2 minutes later. Nonsense.

4. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
    I was under the impression that radio stations could play the "f-word" in at certain times of day (ie. late night). I remember about 10 years ago, when "Jeremy" by Pearl Jam came out, during the day they would bleep it when he sang "seemed a harmless little ****" but they never bleeped it at night.

5. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    FREE SPEECH...! :)

6. MarkG

MarkG Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Ruling has to so with the 'F' word being said during an awards show a while back, broadcast live. Participant said something to the effect 'that's f....'ng great" FCC ruled that in that scenario the 'F' work was an adjective and not a verb - i.e. it was a descriptor and not an action/sex act - Fornication Under Consent of the King- (thank you Henry VIII!)....

7. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    DES, free speech is great, but have you ever tried to explain to a 5 year old why someone else can say FU** but he can't?

8. ForzaFerrari

ForzaFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Waldo
    That's already allowed in The Netherlands (and most of the European countries...). Much better when you listen to music...no more 'bleep' inbetween the lyricks :)

And it's not so bad too...because nobody goes around on telly: f** f** but when you accidentely say it, nobody gives a f** :D

9. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    What's next will be a programming change. We will be able to type in the "F" word and see it on here. That will put the end to fu(k, fu*k, F*** and obviously ****.

DL

10. Ksullender

Ksullender Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
    Does free speech mean that total nudity will soon be allowed? As long as it is not in a sexual act it could be considered a form of art or free speech?

11. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Jim, if the 5 year old picked it up from TV, then his parents need to pay closer attention to what he's watching... If the 5 year old picked it up from one of the parents' friends who stopped by, then the parents need to pay closer attention to their friends' language... If the 5 year old picked it up from......

12. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    DES, spoken like a man without kids! My 5 year old learned it from another 5 year old at school, who learned it from his 14 year old brother. You can't keep them in a box and you can't be with them every minute of their lives.

13. fanatic1

fanatic1 Guest

Nov 1, 2003
    columbus
    Full Name:
    philip
    Des,

True to a point...........however, spoken like someone who definately doesn't have kids! :)

Parents should definately shelter their kids from some things...however, as more and more and more garbage infiltrates our everyday lives, it's virtually impossible to shield them from it all.......also, at some point the very act of shielding them from everything, and raising them "in a bubble" begins to have more detrimental effects than not shielding them..........

14. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    Correct, I believe it was Bono from U2.

15. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Oh Great! Now we will be seeing Eddie Murphy anchoring Good Morning America!

16. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    I always thought that the "F" stood for Ferrari

Rijk

17. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    All that repression 'stuff' causes more problems than it attempts to solve....

18. randall

randall Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Portsmouth, VA
    Full Name:
    Randall
    DES,
    Don't you know that it's no longer the parents responsibility to raise children? That's why we need censorship. That's also why some parents think violent games shouldn't be allowed and violent programming should be stopped. It's easier to lay the blame on everyone else then be held accountable for your own actions. I'm tired of all the censorship BS. In Hawaii when they play a song by Eminem on the radio, they censor all swear words and hoe, anthrax, kill and a variety of others.

If you can't make a 5 year old understand that f*ck is an adult word, is it also too hard for you to get the kid to not drink beer or smoke? What if the kid wants to stay up as late as you instead of going to bed early? Is that too hard to explain also? If you're having trouble outwitting a little kid, maybe you shouldn't have them in the first place.

19. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    Sorry, DES, this is a common argument but I don't buy it. No parent can pay 100% attention 100% of the time, and if you dispute that you need to have children and see for yourself. Limiting it to certain time blocks doesn't work either, because when TV shows go into syndication local stations don't follow the prime time rules and you have 'restricted' shows airing in the 4 pm slot just when the kids are returning home from school.

Just because we CAN say something doesn't mean we SHOULD say it. For the record, I have never shielded my children from movies solely on the basis of language because the world is full of immature people with limited vocabularies who can only express themselves through vulgarity, so they may as well get used to it. Besides, if you ban them from something they will develop an instant attraction to it.

20. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Not on Google News Likely a rumor

Ha! The vB software changed the link's wording - still goes to google, but you'll need to change the first word in search criteria.

21. fanatic1

fanatic1 Guest

Nov 1, 2003
    columbus
    Full Name:
    philip
    You're right. We should live in a society where "anything goes"....freedom of speech, freedom of religion, sexual preference. I should be allowed to have sex with a cow in the middle of the new york subway station while yelling obscenities....who cares.......if you don't like it, don't ride the subway! Des, Jim, if you guys are so against censorship, I'm surprised you post of FChat....you can't even type the word ****, or ****, ......why's that, is Rob some sort of evil man trying to "control society"........I believe in parents responsibilites for raising a child, but I also believe that society has a responsibility to promote a healthy environment.............

22. fanatic1

fanatic1 Guest

Nov 1, 2003
    columbus
    Full Name:
    philip
  23. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    It's about ****ing time! ;)

Honestly, I'm amazed that the only 'valid' uses of the word allowed are the *abuses* of the term!

Words themselves have no power, it is only the power that individuals assign to the words that grants them the titles of 'obscenity', or 'term of endearment'

Best!
    Ben.

24. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Jim, Fanatic, you're right, i definitely don't have children but Randall has a HUGE point:
    DES,
    Don't you know that it's no longer the parents responsibility to raise children? That's why we need censorship. That's also why some parents think violent games shouldn't be allowed and violent programming should be stopped. It's easier to lay the blame on everyone else then be held accountable for your own actions. I'm tired of all the censorship BS. In Hawaii when they play a song by Eminem on the radio, they censor all swear words and hoe, anthrax, kill and a variety of others.

If you can't make a 5 year old understand that f*ck is an adult word, is it also too hard for you to get the kid to not drink beer or smoke? What if the kid wants to stay up as late as you instead of going to bed early? Is that too hard to explain also? If you're having trouble outwitting a little kid, maybe you shouldn't have them in the first place.

Bill, your point is well taken and more of a "comfy medium" between what Randall's saying and what Jim & Fanatic are saying... Still, Randall's words are so on point...