308 16 inch tires | FerrariChat

308 16 inch tires

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Dom, Mar 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Got my 16" 328 wheels, now it's time for some tires. According to my talks with other GT4 owners, I'm going to go with 205/55-16 front and 225/50-16 rear.

I typically do street driving, but would like to try to get to the track maybe 3 -4 times a year (though that may be an overestimation).

Since this is for a 308 GT4 and I don't want the tires to cost more than the car is worth, I'd like to keep the price under $100/tire, which rules out Bridgestone S-02's. According to the tirerack site, the following tires meet my price range:

Kumho ECSTA Supra 712 (cheapest at aprox $65/tire)
    Sumitomo HTR Z (~$75/tire)
    Yokohama AVS ES100 (~$83/tire)
    Dunlop SP Sport FM901 (~$84)
    Dunlop SP Sport 2020E (~$78/front, $99/rear)
    Kumho Ecsta MX (~$88/front, $104/rear)

Notes: I've had Yokohoma Avids (different than the AVS I think) on my Alfa, and was not happy with them. I currently have the sumitomo 14" tires on my GT4 and they seem pretty good. Have done 1 track event in them.

I've heard good things about the Kumho Ecsta MX.

Any prefrences? Any other tires which I should consider?

Bridgestone S02's are about $150/tire on the tirerack site, and I know that Rob Garven loves them. Are they really worth the $50 (or more) per tire?

Right now I'm leaning towards either the Sumitomo's or the Kumho MX.

Decisions Decisions...

Dom

2. ctkellett

ctkellett Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    Havertown PA
    Full Name:
    Chris K.
    I have had great luck with the Falken Azena's doing double duty as a street and track tire, not to bad on an auto x course as well. I believe that they will fit into your $100 per tire plan as well.

All the best

Chris

3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Dom,
    Some of the best information is on the TireRack site. Check the user feedback for each of the tires you are interested in...valuable info there.

4. ChrisfromRI

ChrisfromRI Karting

Jan 28, 2003
    Foster, RI
    Full Name:
    Chris F
    Dom,

The S02 really is a great tire, but you are right that it costs more than some of the ones you suggested. It also is a lot better tire, but whether it's worth it depends on how much you value the higher performance.

I have S02s on both my 308 GTB QV and my S2000, and am very pleased with them.

One other thing about a sticky tire like the S02 is that it will wear out fast, so the higher cost is compounded. This is again part of the performance equation.

The sleeper tire mentioned is the Falken Azena RT-215, which is quite high performance oriented, but it unfortunately comes in very few sizes (only two 16", and not anything suitable for the rear of a 308). These make really good street/track tires, but not for 308s due to the very limited tire sizes. It's a shame since they are cheap and perform very well.

In checking their website to see if they added any new sizes since I last checked ( www.falkentire.com ) I noticed there is also a street Azena called the ST-115 which would not seem to have the performance potential of the previously mentioned RT-215 but does actually come in the right sizes. This might be worth looking into considering the success of its sibling.

Kind Regards, Chris

5. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I paid $800cdn for my 4 goodyear eagle HP+ tires. I like the tread design, they dont wear out in a season of hard driving and they are good in the wet. They are not a rain tire so they dont have the big v groove tread pattern but they work well. I use my car almost daily so I need something good in any weather but snow.

6. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    i just mounted the falken tyre on my new 16 inch rims. great tyre at a great price, check em out. i went thru a set on my 14 inch rims and they were fantastic. they have a website, and have been around since WWII
    john

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I guess me and Paul are the only Goodyear guys here!

Enzo would vouch for us, though.

Goodyear is #1 in Racing

8. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    Dom, I would also recommedn you look at the Tire Racks comparison/ rateing page. Pick your performance category, high performance summer tire or Max performance tire then make your choice based on the ratings for the criteria that matter most to you: tread life, dry traction, noise, ect.

I picked their highest rated max summer performanc3e tire for my hot rod truck and have been very happy with the two that I have run: two sets of S03's and currently Goodyear F1s.

Unless someone is doing a back to back test with two or more tires, It is difficult to really make a decisive compoarison. Typically, after many months or even years a tire gets replaced. Tires get hard with age, the tread wears down, the wet performance goes out the window, they ride more harshly ect. Additionally, advances in tire construction are ongoing.

So Is it any surprise that the latest set of tires is a "big" improvement?

By taking advantage of the large customer feedback for each tire in each catagory you stand a better chance of getting the best tire.

I do not mean to impune the tire evaluation skills of these worthy thread participants, but the large "sample" at tire rack is more definitive.

A few things this thread may help you with are:
    Tire clearance issues, (If you crash your car because you let an oversize tire rub through the sidewall, ENZO will probably consign you to automotive hell - like driving an old rambler hitting on 5.

My guess is that the 225/50 16 will give you about the same revs per mile as a stock tire. Most speedometers read a tad high, this might be a good chance to pick a tire that gives you a more revs per mile to improve the acurace.

Obviously, a lower tire will lower the center of gravity, reduce, (slightly) the weight transfer, improve braking, cornering and maybe allow you to entirely remove the fiberglass front pan trying to get into your driveway.

Many choices.

good luck,
    chris

9. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Where do you get the falkens? It doesn't look like tirerack carries them.

Dom

10. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    I found the falken website, and also checked out discount tire direct for prices. But, it seemed I could not get a matching set of tires for the Falken Azenas (from one of the big vendors, anyway).

So, I went back to tirerack and ordered the Kumho Ecsta MX's. This was based on positive reviews at the tirerack site, and price. They sound like great tires with the most bang for their buck. Total with 2 days shipping came out to be ~$434.

Dom

11. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
  12. ChrisfromRI

ChrisfromRI Karting

Jan 28, 2003
    Foster, RI
    Full Name:
    Chris F
    Are you using the Falken Azena ST-115, and if so what on, and what performance comments could you offer? I know the RT-215 is quite good but not available in enough sizes...

Kind Regards, Chris

13. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    i use the FK451, an incredible tire, smooth, and great in rain of course. pretty grippy also. i cant remember the exact sizes, i am wider in the back than front.

14. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I run Victoracer V700s. R compound. After about 800 street miles and 3 track days and they are half gone or worse. I would not buy another set.
    Philip

15. Ferrari_UK

Ferrari_UK Formula 3

Dec 6, 2002
    England
    Full Name:
    Jeff Howe
    Hi Dr Dom.

Glad the wheels turned up OK. Be nice to see a picture with them fitted.

If you need anything else please let me know.

Regards.