Ferrari in the UAE? | FerrariChat

Ferrari in the UAE?

Discussion in 'Asia' started by JohnMH, Mar 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    I may be moving to Dubai shortly, bringing my beloved 308 GTS QV with me. Technically not Asia, but not Europe either. Anyone in the UAE with a Ferrari? I know I have seen a number for sale there but no mentions of any enthusiasts on this site.

Cheers to all,

John H.

2. Michael Collins

Michael Collins Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2004
    Shanghai/Melbourne
    I lived in Dubai for many years, and owned a 308 GTSI QV 1984 which I took with me to Shanghai when I left. Ferrari have low value in the Middle East as the Arabs only like new cars.
    Sugest you talk to David Moran who is part of the UAE Ferrari Club not sure of the club address but he is the CEO of Lamprell (lamprell.com) he will point you in the right direction for the UAE

Mike Collins

3. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Thanks for the posting. There is a local Ferrari owner's club, I will be there next week and intend to visit the local dealer and ask around. By saying that the locals like new cars and old ones have less value, is that a way of saying that I could get an older car for a good deal there? I did see a 1986 Testarossa for about CDN$46,000 there, but it was advertised in Saudi.

Cheers,

John

4. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Hey John. Good post and good question. But i would post this same thread in another section such as the "general disscussion" area for example. You will get some serious replies im sure!

All the best to you. I heard (and saw pics) that Dubai is beautiful!

Ciao

Vasco.R

5. Michael Collins

Apr 6, 2004
    Shanghai/Melbourne
    You can buy Ferrari and other cars cheaply in Dubai but the older cars do not meet the emmision controls in the USA. Also the local owned cars are prone to misuse, lack of maintanence and accident damage so be careful.

Al Tayer Motors are the main dealer, but I would not recomend them for older cars, they did more damage than good to my car. incluing bending the bonnet three times and painting it a different shade each time.

If you need advice regarding UAE cars then I suggest you Talk to Ivan at Arabian Autimotive Technologies (6 5345343 Sharjah). He is probably the best High performance guy in the Middle East ( he looked after Mohamed Bin Sulamins Cars Middle East rally Champion, including F 40 and F 50 cars.)

As for price A friend of mine bought a 1987 328 for 13500 US$ in 2004 the car was in average condition.

Good luck

Michael Collins

6. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    $13,500? Not bad at all. What was it, a yard sale? I spotted a 2000 550 Maranello for the equivalent of $CDN 150,000 or about $US110,000 at a local dealer (I think it was Al Tayer). No real clue what a used 550 goes for in North America, but I thought it was a good deal. A carbed BB512 would be more my choice anyways.

As for the comment that this thread would be more useful in the general discussion section, I'd move it there, but don't know how.

Cheers,

John

7. Michael Collins

Apr 6, 2004
    Shanghai/Melbourne
    Hi

There a lot of older exotics in the UAE which can be bought cheaply, in particular older Ferraris which are almost imposible to sell for a good price, so bargains are often in the frame. again check the spec as they may not be able to be imported into other places without major changes and expence. Also do check the car with the authorities as I have a friend in Interpol there who tells me there are three TR's running around on the same number plate. So particularly the older cars have to be checked as there was a lot stealing to order in the 1980's.

Ivan looks after eight or nine of the older cars and knows which are for sale and which are not, if the car is owner by an arab remember they only breeth in not out.

You might check out the Jebel Ali Kart club which is good fun.

Enjoy Dubai it is a great city, I was there for 20 years.

Regards

Michael Collins

8. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Thanks to all. My flight leaves tomorrow at 6, I will be back in about a week and will advise. As I have a friend who is asking to buy my '84 308QV, maybe I sell (I shudder as I type this) and pick up something there, I have always had a a hankering for a 512. As for checking, how does one even get in touch with interpol, or might the local authorities have the ability? I doubt Ferrari would have the needed info.

Cheers,

John

9. Michael Collins

Apr 6, 2004
    Shanghai/Melbourne
    Hi John

Did you get stuck in the Irish Village????

10. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    I meant to bring this thread up as I was wondering what John discovered.

Michael - I have sent you a PM as EN told me to get in touch with you.

Best,

--Dan