Ford GT - one month to "Job One" | FerrariChat

Ford GT - one month to "Job One"

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Doody, Mar 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    on April 29th, the Wixom facility in MI will start production of the 2005 Ford GT. this plant (picture below) currently does a ton of Lincoln production.

we don't know how fast the production line will ramp or how long each car will take or how many per day they'll roll off the line when they're at capacity.

the best guesses right now are that a few key (read: high-traffic, high-publicity) outlets will receive cars late May and early June. real deliveries won't start happening until July/August.

should be interesting!

doody!

2. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Are you still on the list? I think you were getting feedback from the dealer about having to pay way over MSRP. Hope I'm wrong and you get one.

3. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    i am supposedly still on my dealer's list and i'm supposedly still at the top of it. i'm absolutely not willing to spend over MSRP. i do not buy the limited production argument - they'll keep producing to meet demand. these things will not hold value any better than a viper or a 360 (proportionally). my dealer's not talking about details like pricing and availability yet, so i assume they're gonna play fast and loose like everybody else. we'll see. so i'm not holding my breath. my dealer is one of the presidents club - the largest 150 or so dealers in the country. they'll definitely get one car before the end of the CY, and possibly two.

doody.

4. Viper 10

Viper 10 Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brad Chang
    What is the validity of the rumour that the GT is going to eventually come with the V-10 that is on the prototype Shelby Cobra that J Mays did?

If this is true, Ford would be able to campaign this car at Le Mans again. There is no way in hell that they could ever hope that a blown V-8 would survive a test like that (and be competitive).

Brad

5. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    I don't have any news on the V-10 in the Ford GT, but I just heard that my brother will have opportunity to test a Mustang with the V-10 from the Cobra on Friday.

Ford must be creating a small run assembly area at Wixom, because this plant was traditionally a full-bore production plant. Lincolns have been built there for decades. My Dad was an engineer at the Wixom plant back when I was in grade school.