Embarrassed | FerrariChat

Embarrassed

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Sempre_gilles, Mar 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sempre_gilles

Sempre_gilles Formula 3

Jul 11, 2003
    Full Name:
    AdK
    Last Saturday I fanally had the opportunity to take the 308GT4 out for the first spin this year. Since I am living close to the German border, I decided to get a blast on the German Autobahn. When I was doing 240 km/h I was easily overtaken by an Audi 4 2.5 TDI - a DIESEL! I thought there is a gentlemens agreement under German car makers to limit the top speed of their cars to 250 km/h

2. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Yes, but speed limiters can be disconnected. You can even order the Mercedes-Benz E55 W211 AMG from the factory with the limiter increased to 300kmph (from 255kmph). Without any limiter, the latest E55 should be able to reach 320kmph.

What's the top speed of your 308?

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    :D, Yes and if you were in a 250SWB you probably would have been passed too ... time moves on my friend.

In 20 years time (if we keep the current performance direction) you will be passed by Mums in one of those little 3 door hatches running around 50 mpg ;)

Atleast we know which car sounded better :D

Pete

4. Sempre_gilles

Sempre_gilles Formula 3

Jul 11, 2003
    Full Name:
    AdK
    The top speed of my 308GT4 is 250 km/h. Of course there are nowadays plenty of cars with the same or higher top speed. Not only trully exotics, also upper market luxury cars like Mercedes and BMW. What really shocked me is that is was a diesel that overtook me!

At least my car will still be there in 20 year time. And yes, the sound was great (7000 revs, Tubi exhaust)!

5. bubba

bubba Formula 3

May 8, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    PPPP
    No need to feel embarrassed. Audi is a good car. But, it's still an Audi.

No matter how old or slow a Ferrari is relative to the more modern cars, it will always be a Ferrari, which is probably the most desirable automotive brand ever created.

6. Storm-Rider

Storm-Rider Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    Sure it wasn't a Lambo? I think I was behind a new A4 the other day and the resemblance was stark.

7. Sempre_gilles

Sempre_gilles Formula 3

Jul 11, 2003
    Full Name:
    AdK
    Might be, it looked awfull...... Not to offend anyone, but in my opinion the styling of Lambo's went wrong somewhere after the original Countach.

8. castex

castex Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Rouen, France
    Full Name:
    Thomas Daniels
    These things happen, whether you're caning a 308gt4, a Boxer, 550 or Mondial. Our cars to other (male) motorists are like red rags to a bull. You may not have bought your car to compensate for failings in other departments - I certainly didn't, honest - but a Ferrari going fast looks like such a joyous celebration of rampant masculinity that other men just can't seem to cope.
    Big German saloons now frequently have the torque to move very quickly. What they don't have is the feeling of connection with which we are blessed when merely opening the garage door. Such uberwagens just don't smell right, the steering is inert, the gearbox a mystery of fuzzy-logic and the quality of sound they make is wholly dependent on the driver's taste in music. I'd say that the only element of thrill you're likely to get when driving a diesel Audi will come in overtaking a pedigree Italian berlinetta, thus putting one over on the love god at the wheel.

9. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Bah ! who cares , ur the one driving a beautiful car with charisma ! not a grumpy sedan

10. trkevin

trkevin Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    K. Blommaert
    Yes, these cars are fast. In Germany you can find some very good tuners for Audi 2.5 TDI's. And even for a 1.9 TDI. These cars can beat about every normal car. Only a M3 is a littlebit faster. Even if you are driving 180km/h and you put the pedal to the floor, you can still feel how much power they have.

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I was coming off a stoplight on the way home yesterday.

Motoring thru the gears, sunset and wildflowers on the right, observing the limit.

Wind rocked my car as two illegals in a minivan shot past me like out of a cannon! Had to be at least twice the speed limit!

It was hilarious, as we were motoring past the Houston Texas Headquarters of the FBI!!!!!!! Where's a cop when you need one????

The laugh was mine, as three blocks later, I pulled alongside them at the next light!

12. evansp60

evansp60 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ont. CANADA
    If you read up on some of the new technologies for diesel you'll be surprised.
    Top of the line cars a very difficult to tell from a standard fuel car. I'm still a diehard gas driver but this is very impressive performance/power from some of these puppies.

13. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I'm offended Alan. And just what does their race have anything to do with their fast minivan!??!

LOL :D

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Nothing really, but when I hollered "INS" at the next stop sign, they made a left turn up on two wheels! I thought the thing was gonna tip!

Sorry, bro. I'm from Galveston and I get along with everybody. Just don't kick over my sand castle.

Speedy"PC from now on"308

15. ignacio

ignacio Karting

Feb 25, 2004
    annapolis md
    i love it when someone blasts by me a ridiculous speeds--then they'll be the one with the speeding ticket! i 'm happy enough to hang back about 500 meters on the highway and watch the fun!

on a small windy road its a different story--a sedan will never get past me there!

16. formula1joe

formula1joe Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe Bennett
    Don't feel too bad about getting passes. My daily driver is faster then my 308, but does not have the charisma the f-car has. I could by a Subura and it would be faster but it is not the seem or even in the same league. Trust me, the Audi that passed you lacks charisma and the driver of that car would probably want yours instead of his.

17. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Me too. This is enough to get a giggle out of me and turn a several hour trip into a smile.

Wanna bet? Depends on what you drive, of course, but I'm the tailgater from hell out here ;)

Sunny

18. trkevin

trkevin Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    K. Blommaert
  19. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Very true bubba, I'm with you, that's why I think all the "old" Ferrari bashing is so useless. Audi's are good, yet a dime-a-dozen. When the 16 yr old in his Russtang pulls up and revs to race, I'm still in a Ferrari and he is in a mass-produced, commonplace as the cold, everyday $hitbox. It's like most other high-dollar things in life, call me a snob but I have 2 Rolexes, one which retails for around $23,000, would a Timex keep time the same, absolutely! And yet is is just so "pedestrian" IMHO