The Home Office... | FerrariChat

The Home Office...

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by rob lay, Mar 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I had to take the day off just because I'm swamped with non real job work. It's been nice. Slept til 8:15am, spent an hour working on FC, got some breakfast/took dry cleaning in, organized some desk stuff, spent more time working on FC, went to lunch and read the paper, now I'm going to work on FC until 2:30, work on the race car, and then go do a bike workout. By the time I get back Jennie will be about home.

It's been a nice day, but I wonder about doing this everyday.

Do people working from home get "cabin fever"? Is it better getting an office away from home, even if you can work where you want.

What are the tax breaks and rules for having a home office?

Thanks,
    rob

2. JPF

JPF Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2003
    NY
    Full Name:
    Joshua
    This is an interesting subject to me as my wife is about to start working from home. We have been setting up her home office with cool office gear, paint, lighting, etc. Lots of fun until you have to actually do some work. Th eproblem is compounded by the fact that the office is in the basement, which houses the "home theater". She thinks she can handle it, and I agree, but I would have trouble staying focused.

As far as deductions, I have heard that it is a PITA to deduct the space that you office takes up unless it is fairly substantial. I don't remember why, I think it had something to do with re-sale, but again, not sure. .Check with one of the F-Chat "consultants" who is an accountant. ;-)

3. dherman76

dherman76 Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 25, 2004
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Darren Herman
    I have been working from home for the past 6 years. Work in a well lit room, and avoid distractions. Don't invite your friends over - or that will make things hard. Also, take breaks or you'll burn yourself out - such as go ride your bike, go take a walk, etc. Working from home is nice, but you've gotta keep yourself from 'cabin fever'. Fresh air helps too!

4. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Rob,

>>>Do people working from home get "cabin fever"? Is it better getting an office away from home, even if you can work where you want.<<<

After well over a DECADE of this here are my feelings:

HOME ORIFICE
    Tax write off, no drive to work, save $$$ on insurance/milage on car/etc.

WORK IS NOT YOUR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    My office is the FURTHEST room in the home.

CLOSE THE DOOR AT THE END OF THE DAY!!!!!!!!!!
    When the day is done and you want to ride on... Ferrari.

TAKE BREAKS
    Great weather? Screw it! This is the Internet and therefore opened 24/7/365. Go for a long drive during this lovely weather, work at night... or the next day.

SELF DISCIPLINE
    Learn it, live it, love it.

NATURAL LIGHTING
    You are human, see the world. An improperly lit room causes fatigue and no windows/natural lighting spells disaster.

LAPTOPs ROCK!
    Laptop = true freedom. i can LITERALLY hop in my car and drive (well, not for another 48 days but that's not the point). With the laptop i can drive as far away, to anywhere i can. Eventually get a hotel room and work from there, sleep, sh*t, shower, wash, rinse, repeat...

YOU DESERVE A BREAK TODAY
    Take a day off, or two, or a week every now and then. In Fchat case, a trusted moderator can easily fill in. If you travel the world, get a "worldphone." No matter where you go your office is with you. Nobody knows where your are, how near or how far.

>>>What are the tax breaks and rules for having a home office?<<<

(Said in my bestes Jewish accent) Darrling, find a nice Jewish CPA. Have some cawfeee, tawlk with him/her. Oy veh, does mommala have to do EVERYTHING for you? And all these years i have helped you, slaved for you, sacrificed for you and THIS is what i get in return??!!? (Jewish guilt, get used to it LOL)

Enjoy the Music (Pink Floyd "WYWH" right now),

Steven R. Rochlin

"Nobody knows where you are
    How near or how far
    Shine on you crazy diamond
    Pile on many more layers
    And I'll be joining you there
    Shine on you crazy diamond

And we'll bask in the shadow
    Of yesterday's triumph
    Sail on the steel breeze
    Come on you boy child
    You winner and loser
    Come on you miner for truth and delusion
    And shine"

5. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    i worked from home for about a year in 2000. the biggest thing you miss is talking to someone, seeing someone, getting into things, you start to realize that you miss seeing people, getting into trouble, I made lots of money from home but got an office just to have something to do. its way too boring for me. maybe you are different.

john

6. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    I have been working from home for four years now and still love it. My days are very similiar to what Rob just described. I'm sitting outside on my patio working on the laptop right now waiting for my kiddo's to get home from school.

There are downsides though. It gets a little lonely sometimes but that's when I take the show on the road and fly out to Cali for a few days to see customers. I am isolated from the rest of my team and that has it's ups and downs. I tend to work too many hours and am never done for the day.

But, the upsides are great. I can drive my Ferrari down to my boat when ever I want to and work from the lake. Cell phones and Wi-Fi networks and laptops are great.

Welcome to the 21'st century.

7. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Amen :)

Steven