84 Boxer sold for $66,000?!?! | FerrariChat

84 Boxer sold for $66,000?!?!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by mrp_e, Mar 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mrp_e

mrp_e Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Coasts
    Full Name:
    Bill
  2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well bought, maybe.

I know of a clean one at $72K, and I think Sheehan's got a nice one asking $82K.

I think the dealer here had a solid rep... not sure, so congrats to the new owner!!

3. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    the car was a steal at that price. This is a real bargain...I would have given 70,000 for it eyes closed....wow...a 12 cylinder "modern" Ferrari with two seats for only 66,100 ????!!!!

4. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

mike sheean's car is long gone. 66k for a good car is tough unless there was a fire sale. i think these cars are holding value at the 70k range and maybe 80k for a very well kept and serviced car. i just spent 17k in service and repairs so i can affirm that these are very expensive cars to keep on the road. 66k on the front end may look very different when the service bills come to fore!! hope the buyer has deep pockets!!!

5. ferraripete

hey coachi... we will have to get together soon as i will be re-locating to charlotte , nc in the next 60-90 days. maybe we can get frank parker to come up from atl. to joins us or all meet for anevent at road atlanta. 3 boxers in one place will be pretty cool!!

LOOK FORWARD TO MEETING YOU!

pcb

6. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    I dunno.....Boxers are great and all, but why they're trading hands for more than a Testarossa I'll never know. The TR is more car, from what I've heard. I've driven a Testarossa, and loved everything about it. Never driven a Boxer, but are they really 'all that'?

7. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    47193 was not manufactured in 84, it is an early to mid 83 production date.
    just for the record. 84 cars started with serial #'s in the 50000 range

8. ferraripete

to drive, bbi's and tr's are very similar. the difference in pricing is result of the production numbers and the styling. the tr was made in huge numbers whereas the bbi is dramatically more dear in the usa. the tr style is a love it or hate it affair. the boxer seems to have that classic ferrari mid engine look and just drips sex appeal.

i looked at both before i bought and bought the bbi w/o any further thought.

paid a good bit more too. i really do think the bbi is all that and will be a keeper for me. i hope this response seems fair.

9. sboney

sboney Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    I have been following BBi's for about six months now trying to hone in a decision as to which model to buy --still in the due diligence phase. Curious what $17,000 included if you would care to share. The Forza buyers guide did not indicate regular servicing would be that high.

10. ferraripete

for my $17k...main shaft was sheered...so...engine out, remove the transaxle, inspect all elements of the box, replace second and third gear synchros (since you are already in there), clutch kit, water pump rebuild, radiator repair (small leak), ac compressor, replace all hoses and oil lines, pre formed and other, jet hot coat the headers (very, very trick!!), cv boots, and obvious major, and fuel injectors. also had the fuel inj. plenums refinished, and rear brake pads.

17k!! ouch

11. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I have owned a TR and now own a BB512i. While the TR may be a little faster, the Boxer gives you a better driving experience IMHO. The Boxer just makes you feel good to look at, listen to and drive. The angular lines of the TR have not aged nearly as well as the curves of the Boxer either.

12. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    ferraripete, how did the jethot coating of your heaters affect the cars coolant temp ? I have heard from hotrod owners that jethot coating your headers will increase coolant temps a little as it holds more heat in the engine. Did you notice such a difference ?

13. RAYMAN

RAYMAN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Raymond Santilli
  14. ferraripete

frank,

i will let you know as i learn more. the car was in the shop for a year as you you know and i have no real miles on it yet. i looks very, very cool however and should work fine. i did it on the advice of a motor builder for the hendrick team so i thought i would do it. he also said it may add lot of life to the headers as well. we will have to get together for a drive in the n. ga mountains or meet at road atlanta or other.

pcb

15. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael

I Agree, If you follow the link to the dealer in canada, he has a lot of cars he wants you to look at by telling you 50 more photos here.If That car is what it says It is...... surely it is worth $85,000 in the states....I inquired with him about a sbarro p4 a while back..Shady at best! He probably bought it for himself and claims a $30,000. loss

16. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I too, have grown tired of looking thru ebay.

I think the FCA newsletter or even the small dealers in Forza are a better bet for a sound vehicle purchase.

These ebay listing as a majority are used car dealers, no service records or squat on some I've checked out!

17. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

You must be joking!! You need to drive a Boxer, in my opinion they are ALL THAT, and way more.

18. atheyg

atheyg Guest

Steve Maman is a member here and sells alot of Boxers, several a year, if thats what it sold for it states the current Boxer market, cars at $80k just sit.

19. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    A little out of subject but the FEDS just sold a '97 355 GTS for $40,000 in a public auction.

20. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks Atheyg!!

That's MY mantra. The Buyer sets the market NOT THE SELLER!

We have a widow here in Houston who is waiting for the Boxer market to reach $200K, 'cause that was hubby's dying words.

I look forward to dealing with HER heirs.

We tune it up, then it sits, we tune it up, then it sits.......

21. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    I had heard 'from reliable sources' that there is a big difference in handling between the TR and the Boxer - Boxers have skinny tires + much weight = SCARY, while the TR has Wide tires/track + same weight + better suspension geometry = PLANTED. Leaving horsepower aside (the TR having more), climate control (the Boxer being a sauna from what I've read in FORZA), and possibly throttle response, is the Boxer selling high just from its Grey-Market rarity and aesthetics?

22. LJH

LJH Rookie

Feb 2, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jack Horner
    The current Ferrari Market Letter has 3 512 BB's & 3 512 BBi's listed as follows:
    512 BB
    s/n 35649, 1981, USD83,995
    s/n 35655, 1981, USD68,000
    s/n 38005, 1981, USD72,000

512 BBi
    s/n 40777, 1982, USD69,900
    s/n 45693, 1983, USD67,500
    s/n 50599, 1984, USD92,500

So, is USD 66,000 out of line v. another 1984 @ USD 92,500, or the other FI cars? What work does it need, etc? I guess that you look, inspect, and then buy the one that best fits your desires (carbs, FI, paint scheme, etc) & wallet.

23. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    FML has many cars with absurd asking prices, which never sell. I'd take the 92,500 with a big grain of salt.

I think many sellers work on the principle that if you don't ask for it, you won't get it, so might as well ask for a high price. After all, you can always drop it.

24. David512

David512 Formula 3

Dec 15, 2003
    Northern California
    Right. I've driven 308 GT4, 246 Dino, 328, 456, 355, and 512 BBi (but NO 512TR). They're all good, but the Boxer alone makes me feel like a king.

David

25. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael

LOW Miles = high Price
    In Case anyone is interested in an 84 512 Boxer, Manufactured 12/83 Fully Sorted with all service including 30,000 service and only 1900 Original Miles,
    No Typo 1900 miles...Records of ownership from day 1..A 95 + concours car
    Without even a single scrape on the chin spoiler ever, in the ultimate color combination of rosso corsa with Saddle/ red-saddle interior. Heres one for
    $125,000.00
    IMO Mileage of 10,000= market value
    Mileage of 5,000= above market value
    Mileage of 2000 = collectable value
    Collectable Value = priceless to the one who wants that car!