First time in 20 years...'Vetteless!!! | FerrariChat

First time in 20 years...'Vetteless!!!

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by FerrariFrank1, Mar 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Well,I did it. I Sold my Corvette today. To a guy who also has a '79. Corvette.

Yes,before Ferrari,I was a 'Vette guy. Still like them,but,like Ferrari's MORE...:) I had my fun with the Corvettes for awhile. 7 in the past 20 years. 3 at once for quite a few years.

Well. Now that there is an empty space in my Garage...and Mrs. doesn't feel comfortable about backing out of a garage. Will have to find something to fill that space....:) (Frankie put his dirt bike,and Battery Powered Race car there for now...:)

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
  3. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    OOOOOOOO! That looks nice!!! Price is certainly right. But,I want to first try looking at some 512TR's. Then,go down the Testarossa line from 1991 down,if I can't find what I'm looking for..

Color choice is very difficult for this car. Red/Tan is certainly a go. A Red "Redhead",no doubt. But,I have a Red/Tan Ferrari...

But,I always have liked that White Miami Vice look,too...

But,saw a few all Black ones and those look absolutely Wicked... (But,only up close. You can't really see,or,distinguish the lines from a distance. Or at night.)

I don't know...It will come to me in a vision someday...:)

4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    If you need Forza's buyers guide, let me know.

5. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Why,Thank-You,Sir, I'm not going to really Start looking for a Month or Two. I still have to get completely Healed,and some other things that I need to attend to. But,it will be in time For Summer,I think.

But,my 308 is my original Baby...I will not cast her off to the side,(Like I did my last Vette...:) ) I've Lusted after a 308 since I was a wee Lad of 17... Plus,she's an Open Top car.

My plan is to try to drive them both just under my 2500 mile yearly limit-split up the Miles,but,drive alot. So that I can keep my Insurance down to only (approx.) $160.00./every 6 Months. (Right now,I pay $145.00/6 months. for my 308. FULL coverage. 100/300 EVERYTHING. Flatbed Road Service...everything.) BUT...only as long as I keep it under 2500 miles per year. And,If I don't,it's not a Big Deal at all. It just goes up to about $300-350.00/6 months.

6. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    Congrats Frank,

Just wait till your little guy says he wants the new Vette as his first car or that your daughter complains that a Vette would have been a better starter car than your 308 or your hopeful 512TR. I read in Autoweek that the new ZO6 might have 500 HP. I give Chevy a lot of respect for their new Vette's, beautiful styling. However, and as Forza has noted many times, the new Vettes displayed at the autoshow might as well have a horse on them and be called the 550 or 575's separated at birth brother. What's next, F1 paddles for Chevy and Caddie?

By the way, Monday I saw a red 512TR westbound on Lake-Cook in I believe was Palatine. Very sharp.

RocketBoy

7. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Well...my Daughter gets embarrased when I pick her up from School in the Ferrari. She used to in the 'Vette,but,after awhile,she didn't mind the 'Vette. But,she does the Ferrari...ONLY because all of the ("Yucky",still,to her) Boys always bug her about the car at school the day after I pick her up in it....:)

She will be 13 in a couple Months,and all that will change in a few years...:( But,she says that she wants a Beetle Convertible as her first car...WE'll see....Grades and Attitude,by then....:) )

And,same with Junior. If he's a good kid. Has good grades. AND...I even still have a Ferrari by then,(Hope so...) he MIGHT get one...But,certainly not as a First car. Beater for a few years until some Experience and Common Sense...sink in...:)

8. DN35

DN35 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2003
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    D. Norton
    I had a friend in HS who got a brand new '79 L82 Vette.

I was 25 before I had my first new car - 1987 Shelby CSX that I picked up the night before the bar exam. :p All through HS, college and grad school I drove ugly beaters - and it was fun!

If I had cool expensive cars early in my life I doubt I would enjoy the 308 now as much as I do. I think my 308 will stay with me like Frank's, even as other cars come and go.

Nice TR on ebay. I've almost got my friend Phil ready to get his 1st Ferrari. He currently has a Viper GTS, an M3 convertible and a few other miscellaneous vehicles. He really likes 355s though.....

9. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Oh Yeah I certainly had a few "Beaters". But,I would still Polish them,and Wax them. "Armorall" the Interiors and Tires....

And,had a few really nice old Muscle Cars.

I wanted a 'Vette since I was 8 years old.(1968) My neighbor got a new '68 Vette. I looked at it...stared at it...everyday. "I'm getting one of those someday..." (got my First when I was 24).

But....BUT...in about 1977. Saw a Red 308. Then,posters of them. Then Magnum P.I. No.I HAD to have one of those! Someday! But,the Vettes were much more obtainable in those years.

Then,almost had one (a 308) a couple times,years ago. But,I guess that it was Fate that I didn't. Ever see those car ads,"Must Sell...Getting Divorced". Yeah,well,that might have been me...:(

So,then it was,"By the time I'm 40" So,thats when I did...:)