Jury Summons problem! Help! | FerrariChat

Jury Summons problem! Help!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by TexasF355F1, Mar 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Okay, I have a question for all of yall. The majority of you are older than I am(im 22) and have experience in jury summons. I have gotten summoned for Federal Court at the end of April. And so I thought that being a full time student disqualified you from taking action. Well my dad was reading more in depth and it says that school is not a reason to miss. So what the hell do I do? My dads writing a letter explaining my situation with tons of school information included. If I have to go, I'm ****ed. B/c I know that I will undoubtably have exams the last week of April, as well as the upcoming finals that start early in May. So do any of yall have advice for me, or just can tell me why a full time college student has to waste time doing this crap and miss important classes?

2. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Call and reschedule it for the summer. I think you can reschedule at least once, maybe twice. Just because you get called, doesn't mean you'll sit.

3. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    You hate everyone in the world and you will convict just because you want to spread pain to the world! You hate women and children, men and crime. You will convict because if he's already on trial, it means he is guilty. You watch the Practice!

4. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
  5. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    I received my jury summons about two weeks ago. There is a web site where you actually register and on that site there is a survey that you take to determine your eligibility. I'm pretty sure that if you select "Student" on the survey you are exempt.

I had a conflict on my date so they gave me an alternative date.

I feel so patriotic now. I'm actully looking forward to it.

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    No, the Feds are different. I was downtown on a summons the day they got the Enron smucks.

Even serving on a local or state jury does not count when the Feds call.

But the odds are good! They called about 75 in my case and only needed 60.

Then when you get inside you can spread the hate. Be careful, 'cause these guys don't play.

7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    They gave me a cool certificate with a seal and everything on it.

The pay is better also, including travel allowance, even hotel!

I gave 'em a sound bite for the TV cameras, but they didn't use it!

"Pay taxes on all capitol gains!"

Or something like that.

8. CraigFL

CraigFL Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2001
    Panama City, FL
    Full Name:
    Craig
    I just go thru my jury duty two weeks ago. Facts are that you can only delay it for good reasons but you will eventually have to serve- your school exams should be enough to delay, after you've delayed it for several times they don't much care about any excuse. I've been delaying it for the last year and a half. I had to close my business for two days and put four people out of work while I served. I lost lots of customer business because of this. The only way I could have avoided serving is to immediately move out of state since I was told they would find me if I stayed in Florida.

The reality is that the sooner you serve the better. Everyone gets a number and the lowest numbers(the people who delayed the most), are more likely to get called for a trial. The big unknown is if there is a trial where you might get sequestered.

9. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
    If your school circumstances let you go, I say go. I've been called and dismissed a couple of times, and sat once. Even the most mundane cases can be pretty interesting, and you'll learn a lot. Odds are you won't fit the juror profile they are looking for anyway!

Cheers,
    Jon

10. G-Car-Man

G-Car-Man Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    South of Boston
    Full Name:
    Greg K
    Re-schedule for a date right before a holiday (Thanksgiving); there will be fewer trials on that date and probably a smaller chance of getting called... It has worked for me...

11. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Why would you want to avoid jury service? It is not only your duty to serve, but an honor as well.

12. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    You know, i have often wondered about this. i mean, it seems that less than truly educated people seem to serve Jury as if they were smart they would find a way out of it. A sad way to look at it, but makes sense.

Case in point: OJ Simpsons goes free?

Steven

13. G-Car-Man

G-Car-Man Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    South of Boston
    Full Name:
    Greg K
    Being self employed it is more of an inconvience than an 'honor'; my time is better served running my businesses... If I could choose the jury I sat on it would also make a difference...

14. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    Had to report for jury selection a couple of weeks ago also. Of course, this was local and not Federal. At any rate, a full time student was exempt according to my summons (amongst many other reasons).

Sat in the room with about 60 other people from 8:00 AM until 12:00 noon staring at the ceiling. Judge was an hour and a half late -- then they finally began calling out the first "wave" of potential jurors (of which I was not one). But first the judge asked if there were any potential jurors who might have any reason / hardship beyond what was the normally accepted reason for excuse. Right off the bat, he let nearly half of the potential jurors leave...all they had to do was approach the bench and give their excuse. Court cases must have either been low or they settled a few of them out of court :).

I decided to do my civic duty and stick it out through the end, but they never called on me. So, after four hours or doing absolutely nothing, I left with a better idea of how the jury selection process works -- and a very sore behind! :D

15. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I always take a good thick book like "40 years of Ferrari" or 'Mon Ami Mate'.

Plus I've met a few interesting people, if you catch my drift. ;)

16. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland

Yes indeed...will certainly bring along a book or two next time!

Unfortunately, the only "interesting" person I met there was a former employee of ours -- who had to be let go....well, you get the picture :D

17. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Wow! I didn't expect so many responses. Thanks for the help/concern. It's definately not that I want to miss it(i think it would be an interesting experience) but I feel missing school is far too great of a drawback of going. It's really difficult because I'm going to be in school all summer as well as through part of 2005. I hope to graduate in May of '05. I guess I'll see what I can do, and if I have to miss I'll do what I have to. Thanks again! :)

18. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    AMEN to Parker's post. AMEN.

19. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Note the timing of this Fed Trial coincides with Finals. He can easily get docked grades or flunked. That's why starting in late April & the potential for the month of May is not a pretty picture for a jurist/College Student.

20. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Not only that, but if YOU were on trial, would you not want someone with your level-headedness to stand in review of the facts and only then render a just verdict?

21. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Thanks for pointing that out for them. I would actually love to do Federal jury duty. It would be very interesting. But its just not worth missing school and having this whole semester be a waste and have to retake everything and put me another semester behind. And that's the thing I think I would get picked for the jury, then id really be screwed.