Shipping vehicle overseas | FerrariChat

Shipping vehicle overseas

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ferraribooks, Mar 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraribooks

ferraribooks Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2002
    i want to take my car over to Europe for the 24 Hour LeMans race in June.

Anyone shipped a car from US before & if so, who did oyu use, what about insurance?

Any details and such would be a great help.

Thanks guys.

Kurt.

2. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    Lots of options:

---air is the way to go (if you have the means)
    :)
    ---Do not do Ro/Ro (car sits strapped on deck)
    --For containerized ship transport lots of folks use Cosdell, an all inclusive door to door service (cutoms clearance, container packaging, ground transport).

I chose a company that had the best rate, but did the port drop off and pick up and customs myself (it was a fun adventure), saving about a grand in the process (Ferrari quickly swallowed uo that amount when it touched US soil). You can save even more if you share a container, but it has to be a smallish car

-For marine insuance, I chose Hagerty, $500 for the trip across the big pond.

If you do handle it yourself, bring lots of 20s when you come to the port
    :)

3. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    I was recently told (can't remember the source), that if you book a serious stateroom on the new Queen M. , you can bring your car on board for next to nothing. Not sure if this applies to any other transatlantic ships, or how much the big time stateroom costs that comes with this perk.

4. ferraribooks

Feb 17, 2002
    I called cosdell today, they want $2400.00 per journey, and the return trip is even higher. I would like to shop a bit more.

Any other recommendations?

What about insurance, surely people here have shipped there cars to Europe for things like 24 Hrs Lemans and such?

Kurt

5. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Ferraribooks - What state are you in? I may be able to provide you with a company...

6. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    At those kind of prices isn't easier to hire the same model as your car?

7. ferraribooks

Feb 17, 2002
    I'm in Tampa, Florida.

Kurt