Wondering if anyone could verify this. | FerrariChat

Wondering if anyone could verify this.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 96impalaSS, Mar 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    A while back ago I was talking to this Doctor about his 360 and he said the Aluminum for the car actually came from the Alcoa factory that is about 3 or 5 miles from my house. Anyone else ever heard of this? BTW I live in Newburgh, Indiana.

2. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini
    I believe they had a big hand in making the 360.

3. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Really? That's pretty cool.

4. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    pretty sure Alcoa is the biggest Alum company in the world so it is possable

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    No, that's correct Impala, the 360 fenders and other components as well I suppose, are stamped in the US by Alcoa, and then sent to Italy for assembly.

6. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Forza, I believe, had an article when the 360 was new, showing castings sheet stampings and various components with the origins of each.

It talked about how Ferrari approached Alcoa, based upon their experience with the Audi A8.

7. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yea I just now found that article on the internet it was linked from the Alcoa website.

8. ChuckEBaby

ChuckEBaby Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 7, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Chuck
  9. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That's a great link. That's actually about the 612!

But the 360 is similar. FoH has a really cool shop where they can basically rebuild from the ground up on crash damage. Major investment.

10. ChuckEBaby

ChuckEBaby Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 7, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    Quote:
    Alcoa Advanced Transportation Systems (AATS) announced today that it has been selected by Ferrari as the sole provider for the next-generation aluminum space frame for its new, 12-cylinder, front engine 2+2 sports car, the 612 Scaglietti. Full-series production begins this year.

"Alcoa is pleased to have been chosen to collaborate with Ferrari once again to help meet the design, interior space and performance challenges of what is destined to become one of the world's most exciting automobiles," said Rick Milner, President of Alcoa Automotive Transportation Systems. "The Ferrari 360 Modena has successfully demonstrated the capability of a highly-engineered aluminum structure to significantly increase interior space and occupant comfort while not only maintaining, but improving, driving performance. We also believe that the demonstrated safety performance of Alcoa's aluminum structures will be very important in helping Ferrari satisfy Europe's demanding safety requirements."

11. jpl

jpl Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2003
    Yulee Florida
    Full Name:
    JP Lavigne
    Alcoa and Ferrari go back to the 408 proto types.

12. Tennlee

Tennlee Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2002
    Great Smoky Mountains
    Alcoa actually has staff onsite at the factory. The are responsible for all the aluminum in the car, per Forza magazine.

13. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    How hard is it to paint? Fix? Weld?

14. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    another one...

15. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    aluminum panels are "just work".

but aluminum subframes are still just one step past "black art".

when i was A8L shopping last year i inquired as to how the aluminum subframe could be dealt with. it's not like you just slap it on any old frame straightener. it turned out that there were only three or four places in all of the US that could make adjustments to your frame (the closest to boston is in southern CT apparently). part of the warranty on the car is that they will flatbed your car to one of these locations for such repairs - and those costs are all included in teh warranty coverage.

i found it pretty amusing at the time.

does the 360 have an aluminum frame or just body panels?

does the 612 have an aluminum frame or just body panels?

doody.

16. t88power

t88power Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Ernesto
    There is a large Alcoa stamp on the 360 chassis... at least on mine...

17. ty (360mode)

ty (360mode) Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    where?

18. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    No that's the deal Mr. Doody.

Both the 360 and apparently now the 612 frames are made up of a combination of "node castings" joined by extruded aluminum beams and then closed with sheet aluminum and/or composite assemblies.

A tour thru the FoH body shop was very interesting. I recommend it to any one close to one. As you said Ferrari only has three of four of these in US.
    They stick it all together with glue! And I guess a little MIG TIG welding.

It kinda like the old days with the racers, without the hammer marks!

I guess if you wad it up really good you can recycle the whole thing with your empty beer cans