Advice on lowering a Dino... | FerrariChat

Advice on lowering a Dino...

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by need4speed, Mar 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    Hi,

I just noticed the lowered 308 in the showroom section and I've always wanted to lower my Dino to lessen the gap between tire and fender. I've seen a lowered Dino but that owner just cut the springs. The 308 has special adjustable shocks. That is the route I'd like to go.

Are the shocks used for lowering the 308 interchangeable with the Dino?

Anyone else here lower their Dino?

Also about a year back, I spoke with someone in my area about having custom adjustable sway bars made for the Dino. I forget the gentleman's name but he used to do a lot of racing with the Dinos and said the sway bars would greatly improve the handling. He was listed in FORZA.

Anyone do any suspension tweaks with their Dino?

Thanks

2. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    I'm sorry, but lowering a Dino would be sacrilege. It's already sex-on-wheels.

3. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    don't

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I vote to lower -- not too extreme, just to center the wheels in the fender opening (and leave a little overall forward rake). A stock 246 or 308 is a 4x4 compared to more modern GT/sports car models ;)
    Brent L. just posted an ~$800 solution for new adjustable-ride-height shocks/springs on a 308 that didn't need too much fiddling and seemed like a reasonable $ value to me (you might pay that much for a new shorter spring set -- if someone knew what you needed). Might be a good starting point for your (similar) 246 if you want to go that route:
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=188854#post188854
    Have you tried searching here and at the old site on some simple expressions (e.g., "308 spring", "lowering spring", etc.)? We've had a lot of previous 308 discussion covering this subject and the available methods, costs, limitations, etc. -- I believe your 246 is a very similar suspension architecture so would be good background IMO.

5. ctkellett

ctkellett Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    Havertown PA
    Full Name:
    Chris K.
    Which spring rates and spring lengths for the front and rear did you end up getting for your car?

All the best,

Chris

6. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    By Dino, I take it your talking about a 246 or 206, and not a Dino 308gt4.
    I'll bet that we could figure out a solution that would work for a Dino,
    ...and by putting the old shock/spring combo back in, 100% stock.
    Do you have a workshop manual for the car,
    or have the stock shock part #'s?

7. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    Thanks guys,

I'll search around some more and also look for some part numbers.