Performance Exhaust Upgrade for 550 | FerrariChat

Performance Exhaust Upgrade for 550

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by stephens, Mar 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    I recently had the mid muffler exchanged for resonators and the rear mufflers changed.
    The car sounds great from 3500rpm onwards, but at idle it is too loud and particularly between 2500-3500 under load it drones intolerably.
    I am thinking of changing the resonators for a crossover pipe as a starting point to try and quieten down the bottom end and get rid of the awful resonance. Has anyone else had experience messing with the 550 exhaust?

2. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

Yes, the 550 does sound intolerable at times with an aftermarket exhaust.
    But i have just heard the 575 Tubi, it sounds much better at idle. You can actually hear the person next to you. I guess you could call them and see if it would fit.

Good Luck

3. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Thanks for the tip.

4. 512Professore

512Professore Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    USA, GA.
    Full Name:
    Brian Strasburg
    Yeah, I have experience with a Maranello exhaust system. Ironically, I posted about this in a different thread this morning. The awful resonance is caused by the standing pressure waves, which is created because of the 3 segments/elements in the exhaust system. First you have the cats, then the centre resonator, then the rear mufflers themselves. To make it worse, the difference in lenght between these various exhaust elements contributes to the resonance with the Tubi rear mufflers.

By removing the center resonator, and replacing with a Stebro(for example) X-over pipe, the standing waves are not generated, thereby removing the awful "booming", or resonance at low rpms or idle. It really makes a difference, but the exhaust system as a whole, will not be any quieter, just much more pleasing to the ear. I have heard/read that 575 rear Tubi's are quieter, since Tubi changed the design, but a X-over pipe is around $650, much cheaper than different Tubi's, plus you gain about 8-9hp as dyno measured.

5. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    whilst I have no direct experience of the 550 I can of the 355.

It does seem that Tubi do create resonances at 2/3.5 K even on the 355 which more suits the characyer of a tubi I find this is the case.

6. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Best exhaust for the 550 is by Fuchs (CarGraphic). The problem with the tubi is that at idle, it is VERY loud and resonates a lot, but as you get higher in the rpm range, it sounds stock. no change.

CG/Fuchs is perfect. Idle has a good rumble....but it is quietest around 2500rpm (cruising speed for me is 80mph @ ~2700rpm). With the windows up, it is a present but NEVER intrusive noise, and no resonance at all. As you move up into the midrange, you get a good throaty / bassy noise, not overwhelming, but definetly present. the high end screams, very throaty and kind of primal. people will hear it. you will like it.

I have been considering adding the stebro x-pipe to my car for that added depth (CG is still GLORIOUS - do a search, Dave and I described it in detail), but am not sure if it will resonate / be too intrusive.

--Dan

7. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Thanks Guys
    We are making a crossover pipe with a 3.5" resonator to try a quieten the idle down a bit. Hopefully this will improve things otherwise back on with the standard rear mufflers and import the car Graphic/Fuchs.
    The car is undrivable as it is. I drove my son to the Superbike races last weekend, when we arrived, his first comment was, thank God!

8. speedball

speedball Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Pasadena Area
    Full Name:
    Scot Anderson
    Can someone post a link where to buy Fuchs exhausts in the US for a 550.

9. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    You can buy a Fuchs exhaust from a CarGraphics dealer. I know Cargraphic USA is one option. I am a reseller in the Boston region, but you will have to check with them to see who is a local reseller in your region. Hope this helps.