I think i might have offended a 512 owner/buyer | FerrariChat

I think i might have offended a 512 owner/buyer

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by NickM3, Mar 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NickM3

NickM3 Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2003
    Full Name:
    Nick Y.
    I was walking to the gym from school (Seattle U) and as i was passing by the Shell station on 12th. I see a nice silver older Ferrari. I see a FoS guy and another gentleman standing next to it as they are filling it up, being a car guy i go up to ask which model it was. I have trouble identifying a lot of the pre-testarossa era cars, so i go up and ask if its a 308 (since there seem to be quite a few of them). So the guy was like, "nope, its a 512." I thought to myself "dammit," and just walked off and hung my head in shame.

No offence if the owner/buyer is on here. The 512 is a rockin car, it was the bar that Lamborghini had to stand up to. Next time I see those big organe lights up front i'll try and remember 512 :)

2. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    Must've been a 512BB (berlinetta boxer) if it had the big orange lights up front. Gary R. on here has a beautiful example of the BB.

3. NickM3

NickM3 Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2003
    Full Name:
    Nick Y.
    Ya, it was a boxer. I would have recognized a 512 tr

4. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I think Gary R has some good shots of his Boxer in the showroom section of this site.

By the way Nick, I made the same mistake when I saw my first Boxer.

DJ

5. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Hello Nick,

Did the silver car that you saw look like this?

6. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I just checked FoS's inventory and they don't list any Boxers for sale, but there is a silver 328 for sale.

7. NickM3

NickM3 Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2003
    Full Name:
    Nick Y.
    Looked just like your's Gary, with the orange (i pressume they're lights) and no scoop on the side. I think it had 4 exhaust pipes, 2 per side in the rear and it sounded amazing.

I've seen the 328 at FoS many times. I live at school so FoS is like 2 blocks away, i always venture over there when i see something new on their website. :)

I think i read that Sammy Hagar has a 512bb.

8. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Hummm.... by no scoops on the sides, I assume you mean it didn't have the rear brake cooling ducts (lower body panels, just in front of the rear tires).

If that car was a Boxer and did -not- have the NACA brake ducts, then it would have been a 365 BB (1973-1976). But, all of those had 6-tail lights and 6-exhaust pipes at the rear.

Only 387 were built. I've never driven one, but from what I've read they were screaming beasts and a real hand full to drive. 380hp and about a 1,000 pounds lighter than a TR!

Was the car that you saw painted all silver, or was the lower half of the car painted black? Maybe you just didn't notice the NACA ducts if they were black?

9. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    PS: Yes, the amber/orange plastic light covers in the hood are "turn signal" indicator lights. Believe it or not.

They must be the largest ones ever used in a passenger car! :)

I like um.

10. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Might have been this one?? This is super nice 512 TR at last dyno!!

Don't feel bad. I owned a silver 996 cab before and people thought it was a boxster.

When someone owns an ENZO then it will be UN MISTAKABLE !!

11. NickM3

NickM3 Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2003
    Full Name:
    Nick Y.
    It was definately a silver boxer, looked just like yours, i didn't notice the lower brake ducts. What i meant by no scoops, is that there was no upper duct like the big one that the 328 shows. (does that help with engine cooling?)

Nope, but thats a beautiful car. The 512 TR is probably my favorite regular production Ferrari :)

12. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    It sounds like that silver car was as either a carb or fuel inject. 512 Boxer (1976-1981 carb, 1981-1984 FI)

The 308/328 "upper ducts" that you asked about are for the engine oil cooler (left side) and engine airbox intake (right side).