Suggestions for "long trip kit"? | FerrariChat

Suggestions for "long trip kit"?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by tifosi, Nov 20, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    AAA memebershipcard :) good luck

2. icars

icars Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2002
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Rodney Haas
    Have a great time. We drove from Texas to West Palm last year for Cavillino. We took tool kit, Oil & window cleaner. We used some of the oil and the window cleaner.

Good luck, have fun. :)

3. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
    I had a list for the rally this year...here is what I can remember as it is on another machine. Some of the stuff is overtly obvious but I wanted to have it down to insure I would have it packed plus I had a codriver so I could drop the list and we could both run it.

General Stuff
    Toolkit with
    • stock tools
    • bulbs
    • fuses
    • spare air
    • All in One Tool (Leatherman)
    • Tire Pressure Gage
    • Flashlight
    Fluids
    • Couple of bottles of water - good for you or the car
    • Quart of Oil (I don't burn much)
    • Paper Funnels
    • Speed Shine & Microfiber Towels
    • Windshield cleaner & towels or wipes (I hate a dirty windshield)
    Paperwork
    • Proof of Insurance
    • Regsitration
    • Workshop Manual
    Other
    • Radar Detector
    • Cell Phone
    • AAA Card
    • Sunglasses

Preflight
    • check tires air
    • check tires tread
    • check tires spare air
    • check coolant level
    • check power steering level
    • check brake fluid level
    • check oil level
    • check hoses & clamps & belts

Daily
    • Speedshine Car
    • Clean Windshield
    • Run Preflight

4. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I might expand the list to include other known mechanics besides just the dealerships. You might find yourself in a town without a dealership, but that doesn't mean there aren't qualified mechanics around.

5. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    Besides the items and suggestions already listed, you may also want to use a protective tape for the front of your car and around the wheel wells. You can avoid rock chips, bugs and other debris. It is also safe for the paint.
    Contact me direct if interested. I sell the tape. You will get a few applications with each roll.

6. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    Besides the items and suggestions already listed, you may also want to use a protective tape for the front of your car and around the wheel wells. You can avoid rock chips, bugs and other debris. It is also safe for the paint.
    Contact me direct if interested. I sell the tape. You will get a few applications with each roll.

Report Post | IP: Logged

7. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    what MONDIALTCAB said....... ditto......and i take a .45 auto and several spare magazines ( check local laws and/or get a permit) id rather have it and NEVER EVER NEED it than NEED IT and not have it. especially when driving a fcar. my.02

8. Gregg Willhoit

Nov 1, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Gregg Willhoit
    Taking our first long trip tomorrow. Houston, Tx to Cocoa Beach, FL.
    Have packed oil, fuses, 2 cans of fix-a-flat and our leather toolbox is full of the stuff Ferrari gives you for an F355 Spider. Does anyone have any suggestions as what else to pack in case of minor techical problems?

Thanks,
    Gregg

9. MPalilonis

MPalilonis Karting

Sep 30, 2003
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Window Wiper Fluid!!! hahahah :)

Serious though, it would probably be a good idea to find the phone numbers of some of the local Ferrari Dealerships along the way, just in case anything should happen. Don't want you to get stranded in the middle of Tim-Buc-To. Good Luck!

Have a safe and joyful trip. Remember, keep her shiny side up!!! :)

~Mike P.

10. dream cars

dream cars Formula 3
    Regional Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    mike
    Gregg, im in orlando, fl. its not lovebug season now so you dodged that bullet. weather is nice today and for the weekend high 60s low 70s. Let me know if i can be of any help and if your spending anytime in Orlando I own an exotic car rental company on International Dr. feel free to stop by Im here everyday and would love to see your 355. have a safe and fun trip.

Mike

11. Gregg Willhoit

Nov 1, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Gregg Willhoit
    Thanks for the sugggestions, actually work got in the way of leaving
    Friday, so we're leaviing for Fl in the 355 now.

Best Regards,
    Gregg

12. Gregg Willhoit

Nov 1, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Gregg Willhoit
    Back from "long trip". Put on about 2500 miles with no problems whatsoever. Out of all of the items suggested, I think I brought 99% of them. The "winner" of most useful item for the "long trip kit" was definitely the Valentine 1. The ONLY thing I wish I had in the 355 is a one of the available satellite radio systems.

Interestingly enough, this is the first time that the comfort suspension setting made the drive significantly more comfortable. I suppose that the duration of time on the road, and the ability to focus on the difference between the two settings helped.

I remain very impressed with the F355!

Regards,
    Gregg

13. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Tool, tools, tools. Also it would be a good idea to find other Ferrari owners/chatters that live in various places but are on the path you travel so in case you break down you could call one and they would most likely be able to help. I think it would be nice to make a list of owners in different cities who are willing to help. Make a small book and carry it with you.