550 clock | FerrariChat

550 clock

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by RDS, Mar 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RDS

RDS Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Elmwood Park, Il
    I just bought a 1999 550. The car is great and I love driving it. The only problem is the clock. If I don't drive for a day or two the clock is slow by exactly one hour. If it sits longer it will be exactly two hours slow. I'm guessing it has a broken tooth on the hour hand gear. Any ideas? Has anyone removed the clock? Thanks RDS

2. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    To remove the clock you will have to remove that panel of three, not just the clock itself. I have not done this myself, just seen it done.

Pulling the dash apart looks like a PITA (Pain in the a$$) - i wanted to try it earlier, but decided against it.

--Dan

3. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Clock? Our cars have a clock?? ;-)

Seriously, it is a big PITA to fix. Ignore it & wear a watch...

4. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Where did you buy the car? Was it a dealer, or a private party? Could they possibly help in some way, either by supplying the labor to get to the clock, or by a partial reimbursement of the cost to fix it?

I'm sorry you've found this little problem. It's the kind of thing that can bother you enough to get under your skin, but not enough to actually fix.

5. RDS

RDS Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Elmwood Park, Il
    I talked to the dealer today. Pulling the dash is a 6 hr. job. so the price of the clock and the labor would be about $1000.00. I think I'll stick to my watch. I bought the car from the owner but through the dealer. They did the 30k and I have a 1500mi or 60 days drive train warranty. I've had the car less that three weeks and have put over 900 miles on it. I want to put in the 1500mi before the warrant expires.

6. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Even a dead clock is correct twice a day...And in a Maranello, who cares what time it is. Spend an extra 1500 and get a nice used Cartier tank to wear when you drive ;)
    Glad you're using it.
    Lee

7. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    On a clear autostrada, the electric-blue sun crashing down, needle pointing just past 140, in no time 160...and the rest... time shutters to a still, meaningless in all regards....

--Dan

8. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

#8 maranelloman, Apr 1, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

WELL SAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login