Changing brake fluid in 308QV | FerrariChat

Changing brake fluid in 308QV

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Doc, Nov 13, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    I'll be changing the brake fluid in my car sometime this winter. While I think I know the basics of this job ( although never having actually done it myself before). I'm wondering if there is anything different about this procedure caompared to other cars. Any tips/ advice would be much appreciated. By the way, i was thinking about getting one of those one man brake bleed set-ups which is sold by Eastwood Co. Any experience with gadget?

2. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Nothing special about changing the brake fluid.
    I've used the Eastwood MityVac brake bleeding setup & it works pretty well. When vacuum bleeding any brake system you really have to watch the level of fluid in your brake reservoir to avoid sucking air into the system & having to start all over. Easiest with 2 people, 1 to bleed & 1 to keep the reservoir topped off.

I've been meaning to make a pressure bleeding setup that avoids that problem. Just haven't had time to find a cap that fits the reservoir or make a mold from my cap & make one.

3. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    Thanks, Verell--as always.

4. kdross

kdross Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ken
    How much brake fluid is required to flush the system? I just purchased two 32 oz containers of brake fluid. Will this be enough? Thanks.

Ken

5. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    I will copy my post from a different thread, just a couple of days ago:

I have the Motive Power bleeder, works great. I also have a mityvac pump, that I was less than happy with. With the mityvac, when you suction from the caliper, air can leak from the caliper screws, so you don't get a good bleed. I've heard that people will remove the bleeder screws, and wrap with teflon tape for better results, but I never tried it. Instead I bought the motive power bleeder.

With the power bleeder (http://www.motiveproducts.com/), you fill the container with brake fluid, attach it to the master cylinder, pump it up to about 10 psi, then bleed from the bleed screws. Worked great for me. Definately worth the ~$50.

I bought the powerbleeder from International-auto.com (it was about $1 cheaper than from the motive site, and I was also ordering some stuff for my alfa).

6. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Hey Doc,

I just noticed that you live in Latham, NY. I used to live there about 7-8 years ago, when I was in grad school (Albany Med).

Small world.

Definately don't miss the cold weather.

Dom

7. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Doc,

I also use the Motive Power Bleeder...keep the tank pressurized to ~10psi and it is a simple 1-person job.

You can do all four wheels in ~15-20 minutes...max.

8. donaldh2o

donaldh2o Karting

Nov 10, 2003
    Irvine CA
    Full Name:
    Don
    Just did my 308 with the MityVac which takes a lot of work and finesse to get a good bleed. Better than having someone push the brake pedal, but I recommend the Motive Power bleeder.

9. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    I plan on getting the Power bleeder too. Is International auto the best place to pick one up?

10. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    I'm sure that you can probably search and find it for slightly cheaper, but I like international-auto. Never had a problem with them. I've ordered stuff for both my alfa and ferrari from them. It was $46 at their site (it's $47 at the motive site), I ordered it on a wed using standard shipping, and it arrive at my house on a friday.

Dom

11. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe
    motive power bleeder is the way to go. also p/u a mity-vac to suck out old fluid and replace w/new b4 starting the process to insure clean stuff all the way through. (will also save time)

12. zff

zff Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Ken
    The only difference I can think of is the order you bleed the calipers. I've read that you're supposed to start with the caliper the furthest from the master cylinder and work your way in. On most LHD cars, that would mean you start from the rear-passenger-side caliper. On the 308, it's the rear-driver-side caliper.

I've always thought you're supposed to do it that way, but I read on the old forum that it really doesn't matter. *shrug*

13. ricrain

ricrain Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Dallas Area
    Full Name:
    Ric
    On a 308, the rear passenger caliper is hydraulically the furthest from the master. The pictures in the owners manuals and parts manuals are not accurate. The rear splitter is actually on the driver's side, just in front of the rear crossmember. If in doubt, find the rear splitter on your car and bleed the caliper furthest from it.

14. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    You guys with the Motive bleeder: what adaptor (to fit the reservoir) did you buy? #?
    Thanks
    Philip

15. zff

zff Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Thanks for the clarification Ric...

pma1010, I also have a Motive Power Bleeder. I bought the Alfa adapter. Fits perfectly. The one cumbersome thing about using it is the way the tubing gets all twisted when you screw it on to the reservior. I pre-twist the tube in the other direction to avoid the hassle.

16. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    zff
    Was that adaptor #1100?
    Thanks
    Philip (pma1010)

17. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Sorry, the Alfa part is spec'd on their site. The adaptor for the 308 is therefore 1100.

18. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Ahah! THANKS!!!!

The #1100 adapter cap is all I need for a cheap DIY power bleeder!

I've got a small hand-held pump garden type sprayer that holds just about a liter. Replace the spray nozzle on the front with a hose connected to the adapter cap & I should be in business.

BTW, the garden spray sells for about $7 + shipping!

You don't really need a pressure gauge, altho one could be easily added into to the hose with a 'T' fitting.

19. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    I draw as much of the the old fluid out of the reservoir as possible, then fill with new fluid. I then pressurize the reservoir with a special cap I constructed. I use 10 psig or less and open each valve at the calipers one at a time starting with the one further away. Don't go too far else you'll push out all the fluid.

The one that pressurizes with brake fluid is nice but what do you do with the left over fluid? You have to throw it away because it has been exposed to air and has absorbed moisture.

I made my own cap by purchasing an old Mercedes cap, drilling a hole in its center, and cutting piece of copper in a circle to fit inside the cap. I soldered the brass part of an old tire valve stem the the copper disk that had a hole drilled in it the size of the valve stem. I got an old cap gasket. Stick the valve stem through the cap, replace the gasekt and, presto, you have a pressure bleeder.

20. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002

Lawrence,

Yes, that's true, but brake fluid is cheap, so I don't mind wasting some for peace of mind.

Your system sounds pretty neat. Do you have any photos?

Dom

21. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    re:"left over brake fluid"

I don't trusr brake fluid that's been in the container more than a few weeks after the container's seal has been broken.

Since I don't track my car, any left-over fluid is untrustworthy by the
    time the next annual brake fluid change rolls around anyway.

I doubt that there's much difference in the amount of moisture absorbed by fluid while it's in a pressure bleeding container vs being in an open container while conventional bleeding is underway.

Just my $0.02.

22. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Dom,
    Don't have a picture but will take one of the piece that I made and post it tonight.

23. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Here is pix.

Can't get this picture to upload. Email me at [email protected] tomorrow and I send you the picture.

Lawrence