US GP or Canadian GP? | FerrariChat

US GP or Canadian GP?

Discussion in 'F1' started by 62 250 GTO, Mar 31, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Which one would you guys say is the best to goto? I just made plans for next year and the only thing left to decide is which one and where to sit. :)
    Pros vs. cons

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Canada GP has a beautiful city and the better track to watch.

Indy has the charisma of being Indy, home to the 500 race and some of the most awesome grandstands in all of F1.

If I had to choose, I'd pick Montreal.

But let me ask you this? Are you sure there is a Canadian GP next year?

3. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Go to Montreal- great town with easy access to the track, neither of which can be said about Indy . . .

4. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Ahem, *cough* excuse me. Yes, of course.
    I hope there is anyway.

5. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Don't hold your breath: Canada got cancelled because of its tobacco laws. The only reason it is back this year is because the Gov is willing to pay the lost revenue (about 40 Mio) to Bernie. Not sure they're gonna do that next year again and again and again.

6. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    If you don't think it, no one else will either.

7. scuderia47

scuderia47 Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Mainland
    Full Name:
    Bill
    im trying to make this decision too...and im leaning towards canada becasue of the city, track, food, and atmosphere. that area appeals to me more so than indy. (im not implying that i wouldnt love to go to indy though)

8. pizzadude

pizzadude Formula 3

Feb 20, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Indy is a piece of cake to get in and out of. Especially for the f1 race. It is unbelievable the difference between the crowd for the f1 race and the 500. I park close for the f1 race and walk right in. When the race is over, I walk 10 min to my car and I am out of there.

9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Although I've never been to a race at Indy, I'd vote for Montreal, if you can afford the higher prices. It's easy to get to the track, with a great view of the river and the city, and nothing at Indy compares to the atmosphere in the hairpin-area grandstand "stadium". I would also doubt that the vendor area at Indy can compare with that at Montreal, but that is just supposition on my part.

Montreal almost certainly wins out in the dining category. One pleasure I always had was to head to Crescent Street at the end of Saturday's activities and eat at one of the outdoor eateries, watching the world walk or drive by.

Besides, it has always seemed to me that a Grand Prix seemed more appropriate in a city where French was spoken!

10. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Want a really good time atmosphere and a great city to party in. Go to Montreal. Who knows, we may never see another F1 Montreal race again. Montreal has some of the best sites, restaurants, hotels you name it. Make sure you go to Cresent St. That is the centre of the party.

As for the race, it is a nice track and it's easy to get in and out.

Have fun wherever you go GTO.

Vasco.R

11. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    How would you guys compare Daytona, for Nascar. And Indy/Montreal for an F1 race? I watched Nascar growing up for awhile and Daytona seems to be the race to go to. So Montreal leads Indy but how would it compare to Daytona and the Nascar race?

12. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    My biased opinion is that you go to Indy for the 500, you to Montreal for the F1 race.

Every one should go to Indy at least once but I don't see how you could only go to Montreal once.

As mentioned before; access to the track (by clean, smooth, efficient subway), tourist/entertainment (the Crescent Street area is packed with things to do), the exchange rate opportunities, and of course, the mellow Montreal citizens are all great reasons to go back year after year.

13. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Regarding Nascar versus F1, there is no comparison. They both are totally unique forms of racing that have their own supporters and fans.

From my perspective, an F1 weekend is more exciting. No matter what happens all weekend long with Nascar, it all could change with a yellow flag five laps from the end of the race. This doesn't happen too frequently in F1.

Also, the shriek of an F1 car downshifting or accelerating through the gears is much more appealing to me than the loud roar of a big v-8 with open pipes going round and round and round and round . . .

Like I said, there are lots of fans of Nascar and there are lots of fans of F1. But it would be interesting to see how many F1 fans are also Nascar fans. Maybe this would make a good survey.

14. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Funny Story for you regarding Montreal

My best bud was a sales manager at a Land Rover store in Toronto, for some reason he decided to lie to his employer to get the time off to attend the race in Montreal a couple of years ago, said his sister was near death and he had to Fly home, as with any good lie it contained enough truth to be believable.
    That said he and a bunch of friends loaded in his demo Discovery and headed out early so they could attend Qualifying and practice days.
    They parked the truck in the lot across from the hotel and rode the Metro to the track, Fantastic Had a ball. Came back to the hotel to collect the truck to go grab a bite to eat after Saturday's sessions only to find himself standing in the parking lot, keys in hand looking at a VERY empty parking spot. Truck, contents, Dealer tag Gone.
    This being a demo he did not know the plate # or the Vin # to report to police, oh by the way the demo tag should neverNEVER leave the province on a vehicle. I think the insurance on the demo plan specified it or something like that.
    He had to call the store in Toronto to get the Tag # the Vin# and figured that he was pretty much fired from that point on. He was. Showed up at my office in DownTown Toronto after having had to take the train back with just his back pack and no job to return to.
    I still laugh when ever i think of his sheepish look when I took him up to clear out his desk.

As an aside the vehicle was discovered 5 weeks later when it pulled into a service depot in Kenya to get some parts. Still had the Ontario Dealer Tag on it

15. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    #15 62 250 GTO, Apr 1, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hellow! And welcome to WHAT THE **** WERE YOU THINKING!
    Our first contestant is a high school drop out you punched his mother and got kicked out! On to the street where he hooked up with a skank and caught some nasty shiit! But it is not known if one of his 9 possible fathers gave him the 'ol poop shoot cleaner, resulting in the green sliming driping from the 3 inch faucet!

Our second contestant lived in Canada and has relocated to Texas!

And our third contestant is a guy who lied, broke the law and travelled a long way from home to do it! Not to mention he is probably ugly!

Hahahahahhahahahahhahaha!
    Note:

O, wait, let me hit enter a few times so you don't see "Note:" right next to ahahahahahhahahahahahahaha, and still think I'm laughing.

Note: If that story is about you, or a friend you still have and like, I am sorry, but man O man, What the **** was he thinking!?!?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. andybm3

andybm3 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 12, 2003
    USA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    no question do Canada, I have done both (Canada twice) and you get more an F1 feel in Canada. If you are more into NASCAR/Indy cars do Indianpolis but if you are more into F1 - Canada

17. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Neil
    He currently resides about 3 miles from you. It happened and the excuse of my sister is sick and have to fly home was in fact a "emergency trip to Halifax..."