possible 360 spider/CS trade | FerrariChat

possible 360 spider/CS trade

Discussion in '360/430' started by titanium360, Mar 31, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    here is what i have been offered for my 04 360 spider with 400 miles fully loaded sticker price of $204K. A brand new CS and $20K in return for my spider. Unfortunately i am not a track guy otherwise it would have been a no brainer. what does everyone thinks? do you guys think that the CS will hold its value like the spider?

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    spiders are irrationally overpriced. just like 355 spiders were. when the bottom falls out, you'll hear a giant sucking sound.

stradales will depreciate too, but they're not going to soar wackily like spiders did, so the drop will be more "predictable" and "unsurprising" (relatively speaking).

my two drachmas.

doody.

3. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    Sorry doody, they now use euro's in Greece!

4. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    FYI, The going rate for a "04 360 spider with 400 miles fully loaded" in S. Cal would be $235,000 ~ $255,000 (before Tax, License & Fees)

5. silverf1modena

silverf1modena Formula Junior

Hi! I'm just a newbie! If you are just concerned about the depreciation aspect of the whole ordeal, the Stradale will hold it's value a bit higher, due to it's shorter production life span. As where as the spider has been produced since 99/00. As the likes of any other auto makers out there, once the life span of a certain model slowly comes to an end, they usually put out a special model in low quantities(whether it'd be to boost the sales for one last time or to just put all the technology into it one last time before discontinuing it) and that is the case w/the Stradale. As most of you know the 360 Modena replacement will be coming soon. So in the aspect of rarity and collectability, the Stradale will be the way to go. But if you are in it for the pure passion of the automobile itself and the Spyder better suits you, then I would say you are already at your goal and know more procrastinating will be needed. Plus w/the premium on the Spyders, depending on how much you paid for your's, appreciation of the Stradale or depreciation of the Spyder, you are about even. But if you have the extra cash flow and you can get another one, hey I would jump on that Stradale in a heartbeat^_^!!! Cuz that would mean they are selling it to you for 180-184K, in which most opf the Stradales out there are goin for over 200K. ^_~! Either way, they are both awesome cars!!! This is my first F car and I love my 360 Modena and I will probably never sell it no matter how much the market drops or rises!!!

6. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    The depreciation does not concern me as much as the fact that the CS is realy a track car and it is meant to be used on a track more than on the street.

7. silverf1modena

silverf1modena Formula Junior

Then there you go!!! Just be happy with your FINE automobile!!!! I'm sure you have put alot of thought into your purchase before hand and I don't doubt your decision, one bit!!! Don't let anyone talk you into anything that you never initially had a thought of doin anyways! Drive what you wanna drive!! You have a Beautiful car!!! Hey, all in all she's a FERRARI!!!!

8. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    There have been a number of posts on FChat from CS owners who swear the car is at least as streetable as a normal 360. I haven't driven a CS so was surprised to read this, but more than one has that opinion.

Gary

9. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Is your profile picture the CS you're looking at? Great color - Tim

10. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I would take the CS in a heartbeat given that deal. But you say depreciation isn't a factor for you. The prices are going to fall fast on the spiders once the new model comes out. The CS is, IMO, better looking, better sound, and rarer. I think there will be a premium on Stradales down the road, and I like the fact that they aren't making as many, that it's something a little more special.

But, it's not a convertible. And if that's what you want, go with your heart, and with what appeals more to you.

11. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    For me it would come down to wanting a convertible or not. I personally use my Ferrari on nice days in good weather so a convertible is a must.

12. rico

rico Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Bournemouth
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    The Challenge Stradale is a very useable road car. I'm friends with 456mgt and have followed him in his Stradale and its perfect for the road. Sounds impressive too.

Depends what you want?

Proper drivers car - Stradale
    Convertible - Spider

I'd take the stradale without a second thought :)

13. udalmia

udalmia Guest

Eli,
    I would suggest keeping the spider. Someone once told me "you cant match the wind in your hair feeling" ;)

14. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I am the lone wolf here on the CS. I almost purchased a CS instead of the Spider. But I happen to think the CS will depreciate as much if not more than the Spider. I could have purchased a slightly used CS for pretty close to list and the CS has not been out that long. On the other hand, the Spider still commands a significant premium over list. Are Spiders "irrationally" priced right now? Of course. And so is the CS. That's the whole point. The Ferrari marketplace is not rational, never has been, never will be. The Ferrari marketplace is driven by emotion and the Spider appeals emotionally to more buyers than does the CS. The Spider has a larger audience beyond the performance minded raving Ferrari people, many of whom are on this Board.

15. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    utkarsh, who was that smart guy?

16. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    yes the same car with the stripes.

17. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    You are not alone! I agree that the spider will hold it's value better and for the reasons you stated.

18. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    i also ag r ee, slightly used cs can be had for list already, even 01 spiders sstill go above list....convert. traditionally hold there values better than coupes...also, i agree with the major car mags ..the spider has better lines than the coupe and a whole different lookthat a lot of people go crazy for..which is the reason spiders sell for 40-60 k over the coupe even though the coupe has slightly better performance...as for the sound...a 360 spider with a tubi sounds waybetter than a stockcs...i was at my dealership we did a side by side and everyone there agreed with this! not to put down the cs.. an \great car but a spider brings out the engine sound better than a coupe.

19. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    also , i would bag the stripes..the cs ais a beautiful car..the stripes remind me of earily vipers..yuk!

20. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I would go with the CS, although I saw a 2003 360 spider at Ferrari of Orange County last weekend that I sure wouldn't mind being the proud owner of. It had quite a bit of carbon fiber in the interior and some tan racing seats. It was grigio alloy. Yummy!

I can't afford either though, so the choice is yours! :)

21. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I would take the CS but that's pretty much because I am not a big convertible kind of guy.

22. F-passione

F-passione Karting

Mar 31, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    It seems to me that if the dealer offered you an even trade than that would be worth it. As it stands now they are hitting you for an extra $20K(plus taxes?). If they'd go for it and you can pull it off tell them that you'll take the CS in addtition to the Spider. You could consign the spider later and pretty much break even imo. That to me would be worth doing for $20K otherwise I'd forget it. I'm not sure how the taxes would factor in.

I think that in the long run the CS would be worth more simply because of it's limited production. The CS is a fine street car btw.

23. F-passione

F-passione Karting

Mar 31, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Ooops, I read it wrong. They are giving you $20K plus the CS. Man, I wouldn't hesitate. That's an unreal deal imo.

24. lovespeed

lovespeed Karting

Dec 29, 2003
    at the track
    Full Name:
    Gene Agatep
    IMO the stradale should hold its value better than the spyders

An analogy is the market value of Porsche GT or Turbo cars versus the Porsche cab models... the GT or Turbos hold much more value.
    This will be similar to the CS versus spyder market value.

Also there are a few production numbers of CS made versys the spyders.
    Therefor CS demand would be higher than spyders.

And if you take it to the extreme of 30 years from now...
    then definitely my bet is on the CS being much more valuable.
    It would be similar to a '73 Porsche RS market value of today.

25. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john
    why would you turn down $20,000? that's TWENTY THOUSAND DOLLARS.

if you don't like the CS then flip it and get another spider. maybe an 02 or 03. the prices are dropping and the inventory is buiding on spiders. you'll be able to get a good deal on one soon.

$20,000...............extra.....................for a car.................which you can get again.