Reprogramming ECU's????? | FerrariChat

Reprogramming ECU's?????

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by balfas, Mar 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. balfas

balfas Karting
    BANNED

Dec 2, 2003
    Toronto Canada
    Full Name:
    balfas
    Hi everyone,
    I'm hearing A LOT of people are doing their ECU's in their 360's. I'm hearing 30-40hp increase & up to 70lb-ft torque jump. I'm thinking about it, can anyone shed some light on this? Pros vs Cons, I absolutely don't wan't to drop the reliability by a large margin. Car is great, I have the Capristo exhaust & CS tire/wheel set up, just reluctant to play with the engine mapping. Thanks for any info.

2. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    Talked to the dealer, they said once they detect any sort of "aftermarket ECU in the system", the factory warranty will void. I suggest you to do this after your warranty expires. At least this is what I'm planning to do (adding a supercharger).

3. balfas

balfas Karting
    BANNED

Dec 2, 2003
    Toronto Canada
    Full Name:
    balfas

I just bought the extended warranty, my 360 is a gem & I'm not getting rid of it, so I'm wondering is the ECU redo worth doing. Do you know anyone who did it? Results? Problems?
    Thanks.

4. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003

I would not do it - most of the changes to the ECU program are increased RPM limits and increased performance at the very top-end

typically manufacturers reduce power at the top-end to protect the cats/engine - re-programmers undo this through the A/F mapping

you would have to do further modifications to make this worthwhile such as free-flow or no cats

30-40 HP for a normal aspirated engine is complete BS - run

Heiko has sometime ago posted the dyno graph for a re-programmed ECU + no cats if you want to know what is possible

5. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    All Ferrari engineers will be fined already, if 30-40hp can simply be obtained by ECU mapping. Whoever gave you that info, is mistaking a F360 with Audi S4 likes.

6. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    Ferrari themselves have released upgraded ECU's which give an extra 30 - 50 hp (based on cats/no cats). Do these count as "aftermarket" when they come from the original manufacturer?

7. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have asked alot of questions about this, talked to tuners in Europe, they all told me the samething, at best they were able to get about 25 hp more out of the 360. I'm not looking to start a flaming anyone, but I have been doing mods on my cars for years, and I have found than for the most part the HP claims are just that, in some cases I've seen the HP go down after mods are put on. Turbocharged cars are easy to mod, and believe it or not Ferrari let more on the floor in the Maserati engine than in the 360, there is about 40HP that is fairly easy to get out of that engine. In any case I'd wait till you warranty is up before I started upgrading ECU's.

8. rviant

rviant Karting

Jan 22, 2004
    Bedfordshire
    Full Name:
    Richard
    When did ferrari start doing these? and where can you get them?

9. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    Check out Verdi's or Scuderia systems web sites out.