Just drove the BMW 645 | FerrariChat

Just drove the BMW 645

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by alanhenson, Mar 31, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    First things first. Beautiful car. Especially with the 19 inch wheels. It is a very solid feeling car. Like a Benz. Of course you can translate that to mean heavy. It is a hulking beast. Broad and wide shouldered in person. All of the interior is typical high quality BMW. I have an M3 convertible and a 355 spider so I will compare it to them. The 6 was very smooth and refined. A good bit more than the M3. Smoother on the road. The dealer said the optional sport package would make it feel more like an M3. My preference. The steering was not as fast as the M3 nor was the car in general. It was no slouch though. I drove the automatic and it moved pretty well. I flung it around a couple of corners with the traction control off and it understeered predictably. Scared the **** out of the salesman. With the 6 speed I could have induced pretty good oversteer i'm sure. The I drive will be a pain in the ass I am sure. Need to be an M6 and it will be a great car. Another 150 horses and it wil be perfect. Over all it is a beautiful car of high quality, just a little too Benz like. So I promptly came home and drove my 355 on this sunny day.

2. F-passione

F-passione Karting

Mar 31, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Thanks for the drive impressions. I'm sure it's a great car. Glad to hear you were able to attain real driving pleasure when you got home ;)

3. cabrio_fan

cabrio_fan Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Michael Davidson
    Alan,

You drove the coupe right? The 645 Cabrio is not due out until later this year if I remember correctly. I'm going to take a look at the Cabrio when it comes out. I love the lines of the soft top with the rear glass that slides up and down independant of the top.

You can check out the Cabrio via this link:

http://www.babez.de/bmw/645ci.php

Thanks for the review Alan. Sounds like it was a nice ride. And yes, I've read the rumors about the M6. I hope they will carry that over to the M6 Cabrio.

Cheers-

Mike

4. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Mike, the cabrio is allready out. Drove one a couple weeks ago.

5. sepp forcher

sepp forcher Karting

Dec 27, 2003
    my mother (since more than 20 years bmw-driver) said at the bmw station, that she likes the style of the new slk and maybe she will buy the sl (the lowest one, not the amg)...next day a service man from bmw was in our house with the bmw 645. it's a very beautiful car and a headturner.

what i didn't like was the bad view from inside the car and the leather. the bmw got 5000 km on it and the condition of the leather was worse than the leather of my mother's 725, which has 240000km on it.

all in all it was damned good fun and now she waits either for the bmw 7 facelift or the bmw 6 cabrio (but the weaker version)

see ya sepp forcher

6. cabrio_fan

cabrio_fan Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Michael Davidson
    Tyler, what did you think of the cabrio? Looks nice from the publicity shots.

7. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler

I was dissapointed. I'd been waiting with excitement for this one because I adore the old 6-series. The new ones styling left me cold, and the interior had to much plastic for my taste. I don't mind lots of plastic on a $30,000 car, but on one twice that price?? Come on! I compared it to the new SL and I liked the new SL better, but not enough to own either. In both cars I kept looking for a discreet Rubbermaid stamp somewhere.

Perhaps my impression will change over time. I HATED the Z4 on it's introduction and considered it an abomination compared to the previous Z3. A couple years later and I've warmed up to the styling, like the way they drive, and would even consider one. :)

8. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    i took my benz in the other day to have the snow tires swapped out. i wandered through the bmw section of the dealership while i waited. i was really disappointed. just a few years ago, i loved every BMW model. now i can't say i even like a single one. i spent some time poring over the 645 - i couldn't get past the styling. and the back seats are clearly for small children only. the original 6 series were worth of beatification - gorgeous. lovely. superb. shame they didn't recapture it (imo).

doody.

9. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002

I hear ya Doody. I used to like to roll through the local Bimmer dealer to drool over the cars. Right now they don't have anything that raises my pulse level. The interiors are turning cheaper, the exteriors have been Bangle-ized, they made up I-drive, and the reliability of the newer models has been lacking. My dream garage used to be Ferrari/BMW. What a shame. Boy that E55 is starting to look awfully cool now.........

10. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    I took my car in to get the oil changed and used the opportunity to check out all the cars.

I like most of them... the 7 series looks pretty good on the road IMO, but doesn't look so good up close. It looks too "hefty" if you know what I mean. The 5 seemed the same way. I like the 3 still... I think the M3 is just a gorgeous car.

The Z's I never liked, nor the X's. But I was mixed on the 6-series. I like it from almost every angle, but that trunk is just a mess. If they just smoothed it out, I think it would look so much better. Its a shame that the whole car looks so good, but that one misstep in design throws it all off.

My .02 of course