You guys are so lucky..... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

You guys are so lucky.....

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by mr2guy, Mar 31, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. larz

larz Rookie

Feb 27, 2004
    Full Name:
    Lawrence
    mr2guy,

If you really want a Ferrari and have a passion I am positive you will find a way to become an F-car owner.

As for all the Ryans on this thread. I really do enjoy reading your posts. Especially Sherpa and Ryalex. It is really nice to see F-car owners who are actually secure. My sister dated an F-car owner and he made sure everyone at a party somehow, someway knew he had an F-car. It became his identity. He was really into owning things besides the F-car. Inanimate objects meant more to him then people. My sister wisened up and quickly dumped him.

Just wanted to let you guys know that I appreciate posts that aren't "it's all about me now."

Larz

2. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Hey Ryan, you just can't think like that. I'm 19 years old, and I never say to myself, if i ever get a Ferrari, its always when i get one. And i seriously tell everyone that, when is the important part. I already have that set up, i'll probably be buying my first F-car around 27 if my plans go according to ... well plan. I don't come from a wealthy family by any means, but if there's one things my parents did teach me is how to treat and use my money. You just need the right attitude. There really is no luck involved with someone that just works hard. And i honestly can't wait to graduate so i can work hard, buy my Ferrari, then buy my dad a Corvette and my mom a Jaguar S-type which she loves. Not like they're poor, but its not important enough for them to try and purchase. Just remember, I will have a Ferrari. Goodluck man!

3. mr2guy

mr2guy Rookie

Mar 31, 2004

Hey, thank you alanhenson. Trust me, after everyone's replies, luck is definitely out of my head now. Maybe I will go to the bookstore tomorrow and pick up that book. It sounds like it made an impact on your life so maybe it will do the same for me. Thats a nice list of cars that you have too :). I have always wanted to own my own business and one day I'm sure it will happen if I really apply myself. Until then, I'll just continue to drive my poor man's Ferrari :D

Ryan

4. mr2guy

mr2guy Rookie

Mar 31, 2004

I had to quote that. Amen to that!!!

Now I'll have to start saying it too :)

5. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Thanks Larz.

I love Ferraris and other toys, but one thing scares me: I was at my roommate's wedding - he was a 30-ish, VERY quiet and private guy from Hong Kong who was doing very well in IT even while in school (ran IT for a theme park in HI), who also had a penchant for Armani in various Giorgio, Emporio, and Xchange lines. So anyway, his boss is MC-ing the small reception full of Asian students and even poorer Polynesian students, and he gets up there and goes off about how [roommate] always wears at least one thing Armani every day, and goes on to ask what he's wearing is Armani right now (shoves microphone into face) "Uhh... my shoes..."

I was silently shocked. I hope that's not something people will make a big deal about in an event for me (or worse, my funeral). I hope they can say things about my person and character, rather than my consumer tastes, however unusual.

6. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    After Rich Dad Poor Dad read "Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill. It's bloody hard to read as it was written in the '30s but once you've been through Rich Dad.. the concepts will make a bit more sense. I have wanted a Ferrari since 1976 when the 308GTB was on the cover of Road & Track. Without giving too much away I will have my F-car by the end of the month.

This site has already inspired me to act - plus I am now thinking I can have more than one F-car as well!!

Cheers Kevin

7. speedaholic

speedaholic Rookie

Mar 30, 2004
    man you cant look at things like that. What if one day a good bargen comes by and it just so happens you got the money or you got a good job deal in an earlier year and now alll of the sudden you got the funds.

i dont have one but i plane on owning one some day

8. speedaholic

speedaholic Rookie

Mar 30, 2004
    man you cant look at things like that. What if one day a good bargen comes by and it just so happens you got the money or you got a good job deal in an earlier year and now alll of the sudden you got the funds.

i dont have one but i plane on owning one some day

9. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

If you stay the way you are (and I have no doubt you will), people will speak about your character, moral values, your kindness and generosity and nothing less. Trust me, you have nothing to worry about.

10. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I honestly hate to be negative, and I really don't want to oppose those who were saying inspiring things to the guy, but I just have to say something without sugar-coating it.

If you just want any Ferrari, it is not hard, some older model can be had for $30k, and that's pretty much a decent car costs now days.
    BUT, if you want a real exotic car, like a new Ferrari, or Lambo, Aston Martin likes, as you said yourself, it is a dream mostly likely you will not ever reach, unless something drastic happen in your life.

Seriously, a 200k car, with insurance and etc, is not affordable toy when you *only* make 6 figure, and 6 figures is very high already among the whole population, you are probably in the top 1%. So you figure. So you figure it out yourself, what's the realistic chance of owning an exotic.

11. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    WoodEar, the chances are slim to none with that kind of attitude. Is it hard? Hells yea, is it impossible? Hells No. Ambition can get you anywhere, you gotta be smart and play your cards right, but if you just look at it like, its a 200,000 dollar car plus insurance, how the hell will i afford that, well then you won't. But you just gotta work hard, and not immediately but eventually you will be rollin in a beautiful prancing horse automobile. I'm only 19 like i said earlier, but why give up something so early just because a few idiots tell you its impossible. I've been laughed at and still am laughed at all the time when i say my goals, but you know what i say? Screw you, lets see where the hell you are in 10 years and where i am. Its all in the attitude. Later!

12. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler

I respectfully disagree. First, it's not about income, it's about wealth. Trying to get wealthy through income is terribly inefficient. Second, getting wealthy is about mindset and attitude.

There is no "secret" to getting rich, it's very simple. Wealth is the culmination of effort and time to invest wisely while having the discipline to curtail your expenses. ANYONE can become wealthy. Most people CHOOSE other things.

You can't choose the consequence of your actions, so choose your actions carefully.:)

13. Mickey

Mickey Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Linnet Drive
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ryan,

You know what ?

A few individuals here have been nothing but a pain to other users. They use abusive language to attack others, they contribute nothing to nobody, some (apparently aged 21) even pretend that they own a F-car but in fact they haven't got one, then starts to BS. These people are human garbage, and they do not even deserve to die.

Yet you came here making it crystal clear at the very beginning that you do not have a Ferrari, you are already miles better than a lot of people, your honesty is highly appreciated and respected.

There cannot be anything wrong with not owning a F-car. If you really want one, just work for it and get one with the money that you earn. But what I don't understand is why the hell did you say it is "out of your reach" ??? Why did you write yourself off ??? I can understand if you write off people who deserve to be written off. But you can NEVER write off yourself !!! You can NEVER under-estimate yourself. Your future is in your own hands, your future is yet to be created. You should venture into your future with confidence and determination.

SO GO FOR IT, I am sure your dream will come true one day. Just make sure you give me a shout when your F-car arrives.

14. Mickey

Mickey Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Linnet Drive
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Most definitely.

I will need the copyright for that.

15. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    I have to agree with everyone's advice here. Want it badly enough and it can happen. When I was in college (with nothing), I promised myself - Ferrari by age 25 and $1M by age 30 (and ethically). Well I beat those goals.

But somewhere along the way, I got a bit more sense and decided that those were pretty damn shallow. Better goals would be: find a job that you will enjoy for as long as you are working and a good woman to share your life with. Well, this meant a number of things in my situation: going back to struggling again, selling the F-car (in exchange for a more dependable P-car, so I wasn't suffering that much), raising kids, making house & school payments, making "sensible" choices, etc, etc. But now, the kids are almost adults (and a lot of fun to be with), income has accumulated nicely, all responsibilities are covered & funded, and I'm thinking about an F-car again (except for the darned waiting lists). This time at the "buy a new F-car out of investment income" level versus "put all your disposable income into making payments" level.

You can own a great car either way and I wouldn't begin to say which is right for someone else. I believe strongly that a smart & determined person will get what they want, just decide wisely. Wanting to live life well is not the same as wanting the "good" things in life. After all this time, I now believe that you can achieve the former and the latter will often come, but not always vice versa.

16. ssalahuddin

ssalahuddin Rookie

Dec 26, 2003
    I have to say that you guys are very nice=) And Ryan You have to believe that a ferrari is a car with a soul of its own. If you have a passion for a ferrari, most likely you will get one eventually. A Ferrari doesn't belong to a person that just have money to buy it (these people are better of buying the latest Maybach, Bentley or others expensive cars).

I believe there is a Ferrari in this whole world that will find a way to be owned by you in the future.

Trust me,
    Reza

17. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I never ever said it is impossible, I said it is "mostly likely a dream out of reach", and I still stand by that statement.

Heck, one can always get lucky. You can hit right on some IPO and be 250G rich when you wake up the next day. You can all of sudden discover you can rap like Jay Z and get paid for it, but that's not happening to everyone. The fact is, 99.9% of people in this world will not be fortunate enough to ever own a Ferrari NO MATTER HOW they try.

And no, I am not giving up. I came to this country 14 years ago with $4500 in my pocket, no family support, no friends, did not know a soul. Today I take home 150k after Uncle Sam takes his cut, I can only afford a used F355, I can only dream of a used Modena maybe in 2005. Now I know how hard it is, and I know I am doing better than 99% of the people in this world, that's why I said it is "mostly likely a dream out of reach" for most. Cold hard fact, sad, but true.

18. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    No offense Tyler, but where is the wealth without income??
    Remember, we are not here to compare a guy makes $200k but p1ss his money all away to a guy makes $80k but know how to spend and invest every dollar.

If you work a 9-5 job living in NYC making $40k, you basicly live pay check to pay check, you are surviving. Please don't tell me with right efford and mindset you will have a net worth of a mil sooner or later.

We all know trying to get wealthy through income is terribly inefficient, but to most of people they need the income just to live. Heck, everyone knows how to buy and rent residential/commercial property, everyone knows to own some business, but you need $$$ to do that. If you know anyway requires zero capital and can get rich, let me know, I am dying to know.

19. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler

No offense taken:) I agree that if you live in NYC and make 40 large it's a long shot at best. Again, choices. Move. I'm not talking about building wealth fast either, I'm not very good at that. Takes time. All I'm saying is that it is within everyones grasp to attain a significant amount of wealth. People choose to live in places with high cost of living for whatever reasons they have, they choose to make a car payment rather than driving a beater that's paid for. People make all kinds of choices to send money out the door rather than keep it in.

I agree that everyone knows to buy/build/invest in things. The point is most people CHOOSE not to. I'm not saying it's likely, or that it's common. The opposite is true in fact. I'm just saying that it's possible and it's simple. I know several guys that came to this country with nothing and a couple decades later have 7 figure net worths. None of them have above average incomes or skills. They simply made sacrifices most people will not make.

20. bubba

bubba Formula 3

May 8, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    PPPP
    Ryan, you are already way ahead of me at the same age. I did not even have a license at 17, let alone a car. Didn't have a car to drive until when I was 25 or so. Even then, it was bought by my older brother.

My brother and I jointly purchased the 512TR in 2002 (actually, I was a minority shareholder), but he passed away shortly after buying it. So, the car now has been passed to me since. It's like a shrine. My bro was a big car nut, especially Ferraris and assorted exotics, and he could identify all kinds of cars, even when he was little kid. Too bad, he is no longer here, otherwise, he would love this board. :(

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, I didn't purchase a car by myself until the 7-seater mini-van and Porsche 911 cabrio last year. So, hold your head high and more than likely you will surprise yourself.

21. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Good morning! WoodEar, I really admire what you've done since coming to this country. As far as lucrative businesses which require little or no capital, my brother in law came to this country with $400 and started a cleaning business which now has over 100 employees and he just purchased a million dollar home. He did this in five years. He had a vision, a plan, and he was willing to work as hard as necessary to get there.

Back in 1998 I lost everything financially and everything else too. I mean everything, including my first wife who left me (I don't blame her). What do you do? Give up? I thank my God I didn't set my sights low. Instead, what got me excited everyday were BIG goals, including the ownership of a Ferrari. Not all of my goals were achieved but a lot of them were. I think people need a vision, a plan, and they must be willing to quanitify what they are willing to GIVE UP (tv at night, leisurely Saturdays, etc.) to GET what they want.

Ferrari ownership is a symbol, for many of us, of something much more significant than mere possession of a fine automobile. For some of us it is confirmation of the axiom that what your mind concieves can be achieved.

22. Mickey

Mickey Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Linnet Drive
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Nicely said.

23. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Another Fchat instant classic quotation. :)

24. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Like Tyler I appreciate what you've done. However, something I firmly believe though is that most middle and lower class families piss away their money on things they *could* really live without in a pinch, instead of investing more or clearing high interest debt. Eating out, cable TV, going to a show, or worse: vices like drinking, smoking, gambling, carousing, etc. I'm not saying never (well, except for the vices) but if you cut down on those things and read more, do a productive hobby, and try to learn about either business, investments, or a niche that will make more money, you could get ahead much faster. Marketing wizardry, TV shows and magazines have convinced us that luxuries of life have become necessities.

Also, I understand your point to try and 'bring reality back into the discussion,' but it might have been untimely. Example: when applying for law schools, we spent everything we didn't have (ie. credit cards) to travel to the both coasts of the US (from college in HI), to see which schools we liked, as we had to choose a coast to move to when undergrad finished.

So I got to this school in Palo Alto, which will remain nameless :), and my friend in a PhD program there introduced me to a new prof at the law school he was friends with. She asked about my stats (GPA, LSAT, etc), and then told me that realistically I should apply to [schools considerably less prestigious than that one] because I would have to be a minority to qualify with those numbers. She added that she'd never heard of my undergrad, and that I was competing with Ivy League kids for a spot, really. She said she didn't really want to burst my bubble (BS), but she was trying to be honest and realistic.

Well, I was furious. I applied there anyway, and didn't end up getting in after all, but I did get in a couple of schools that are in the same tier of prestige as that one. If I would have taken her advice to heart, I would have sold myself short by focusing my efforts on something lower than I could have achieved.

25. benedict

benedict Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben
    I agree. I was very impressed recently by, of all people, William Hung from American Idol. Although he is a punch line in everybody's joke, he went on national televison and admitted "I am struggling in every aspect of my life".
    Pretty rare to see such honesty!