LA,CA "Not to miss" destinations on Vacation? | FerrariChat

LA,CA "Not to miss" destinations on Vacation?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by sjb509, Mar 31, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

To everyone in So Cal,

This weekend my wife and I are going on vacation to Los Angeles until next Wednesday. We've never been to the area before, and I have been researching some of the tourist things to do while we are there. Obviously there are LOTS of things to do, but does anyone have any suggestions about things that are "don't miss" attractions?

We'll probably do some typical tourist things like a tour of the stars' homes, Venice Beach, Farmer's Market, Hollywood sign, etc., but are there any "hidden" treasures or restaurants that locals could advise?

Thanks in advance,
    Steve

2. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    J B Nethercutt musuem in Sylmar (older cars) and Angeles National Forest (great drive with scenic picnic spots).

Rich Marconi Museum (modern cars, lots of Ferraris) in Tustin, by Santa Ana airport.

3. EVartanian

EVartanian Formula 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Sunny SoCal
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Steve, post this in the SoCal region. I'm sure you'll get much more traffic there. Everyone's very helpful and generous, and I know you'll get an outpour of options.

I notice you mention Venice, and though it is a landmark beach with much history and stories, I'm not a huge fan. If you're looking for beach experiences, I'd definately recommend checking out the South Bay beaches: Manhattan, Hermosa, Redondo, Torrance. About 20-25 minutes from downtown LA. Great beaching, lots of eating options/beach bars. Perhaps I'm biased, but a great beach community over here.

I'll see if I can think of other good spots. In the meantime, get this discussion into SoCal.

Eric

4. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

I posted it over in the So Cal section.
    Thanks.

5. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Steve

Are you looking for more adult or kid stuff?
    There are many amusement parks if you like that. One thing I would say go to is the Getty's Museum, and the Griffith Observatory tower.

If you were coming after May 22nd, I would personally chauffer you around and show you the cool places in LA, but I am currently away in SF :(

Have a fun trip, take lots of pictures. Check out some beaches around Newport and Dana point area.

6. benedict

benedict Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Where do I begin? I lived in LA for four years. Some of my favorites-stroll Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills, have a cappucino outside at Cafe Rodeo. Have a seafood dinner at Gladstone's, right on the beach on the Pacific Coast highway near Malibu. Get a two therapist massage at the Peninsula, (the height of decadence). Drive down Sunset Boulevard on a Friday or Sat night and watch the "rock and roll" crowd party. Drive up Mulholland Drive and check out the view. Try to get in Spago for some celeb sightings.

7. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    The place will blow your mind!!! And then there's the art, furniture and ancient, really ancient Greek & Roman artifacts. Nicest part of all...it's free! Take Santa Monica Blvd to the 405. Head north on the frontage road that runs parallel along the westside of the 405. Soon you'll see a huge veterans cemetery off to the side. Start slowing down and you'll see signage directing you into a satellite parking area for the Getty. Parking AT the Getty is by reservation only. The satellite lot is free, there's is always a parking attendant to keep an eye on your car, and you let the shuttle driver mess with the traffic. Go on one of your first days in LA because you will want to return and see that you missed the first time around. Into Impressionist art? You will see Van Gogh's Irises, Monet's Sunrise. Paintings you've seen in books as a kid. Google the Getty for more details. You can thank me later.

KevFla

8. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Absolutely the best advice. Getty is an experience to be savoured again and again. They give guided tours of the building and architecture and horticulture as well as of the collection. Great souvenirs as well.

Incidentally, if you take the shuttle, there is a nominal charge. No big deal. And you can always go in and try your luck without a reservation in the main parking. Worst that can happen is you don't find any, have to come back out, and end up taking the shuttle.

Another good one is the LA County Museum of Art.

9. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    If you'd like to see some F-cars and and take a great drive, head to Woodland Hills on the 101 (west <north> of Hollywood) and check out The Auto Gallery. Then hop on Topanga Canyon Blvd (27) and head south... it's a great 30-40 minute drive through the Santa Monica Mountains and ends on the coast at Pepperdine U in Malibu.

10. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Had/have some interesting vehicles. On the corner of Wilshire Blvd & LaCiegna, right across the street from the Flynt Publishing bldg. And we all know what they publish don't we??? The Peterson Museum is second on the list of museums after the Getty. It is less than a mile from Symbolic on a section of Wilshire Blvd known as museum row, including the famous La Brea Tar Pits, the L.A. County Mus of Art . At dusk, head to the Santa Monica pier for a drink and watch the side show!

KevFla

11. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Symbolic's LA showroom (Wilshire/LaCienega location) shut down @3 months ago - where inventory went to, I don't know.

12. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Glad so many agree with me on the Getty! :)