TR to 355 F1 Spyder | FerrariChat

TR to 355 F1 Spyder

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Boxer12, Mar 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    Well, I took a 355 F1 Spyer for a test drive the other day, thinking I might go for one if they are everything that I hear them to be. Well, I was a bit disappointed, although I love the open cockpit. Mainly, the F1 transmission is not as fast as I expected on upshifts and the engine disappoints me. Certainly faster than I can shift my TR from 1-2, but I don't think the shifts are anything like a true F1 car. It is a misnomer. Also, the engine wasn't feel as strong as my TR and didn't have the exotic sound to it. I was givin it the gas, believe me, and the ride was fun. I did a flat out 0-100-0. I have previously considered a friend's 550, but wouldn't trade for it. I guess I won't be trading anytime soon. I guess I will have to wait for a good 360 to come around and give that a spin.

I know the 355 F1 is a marvelous car, and if its your first Ferrari, I am sure you would be more than pleased. It is very refined and much easier to drive than a 1st timer in a TR. Handles light and moves well. I wonder how many TR owners have traded for one and been 100% satisfied that they did so? j/c.

2. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    Just how many Formula 1 cars have you driven to make the comparison and decide the 355 is not F1 like.

3. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    can someone post a OWNED pic? hehe.

4. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    Think you being rough on him - he said "I don't think the shifts" not "It does not shift like an f-1 car" he is entitled to his opinion of what a f-1 car might be like.

5. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    I think it may little more time to get acquired w/ F1 system, IMO. However, I didn't particularly impressed when I drove one, too. I just missed shift-gate on my right!

Going TR, 12 cylinder, to 355, 8 cylinder is downgrading on power, but you get nimbleness. I think they both sounds great, but prefer TR sound better myself. Many says 355 has best engine & exhaust sound w/out modified exhaust.

W/ 550, I was really surprised how comfortable & easy to manuever. W/ extra space in a trunk & behind seats, it's most practical Ferrari as a daily driver. It is what GT meant to be, IMO.

Some F-chatters stated in the past posts, once you drive 12, you don't go back. I, too, wonder how true this is, and looking forward to ownership of 12 cylinder myself, because if I get TR, not 512M/TR, I plan to switch to 360 or 550 as a next Ferrari in few years.

6. Badapple

Badapple Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2003
    West London
    Full Name:
    Phil
    What year was the F1 box first put in the F355?
    During the whole period of the F355 was the F1 box updated at all?

7. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    F1 began as option in 98 so 355 cars only had 2 years total F1 availability

8. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    isnt the hp of the 355 and tr nearly identical? i beleive the 355 is 375 and the tr is380hp..the 512 tr was428hp and was signifactantly light the tr.....

9. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Sure everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but if you want people to listen and maybe respect your opinion, you need to base your opinion on some facts.

I can go out and say "I think I am a better bball player than Jordan", heck that's my opinion, but guess what, people will just laugh their a$$ off at me.

10. billh

billh Karting

May 2, 2002
    central mass
    Full Name:
    Bill Henderson
    Ok. heres a newbie question:

what does the net term OWNED mean?

-retahded in bahston

11. Brandi

Brandi Karting

Jan 27, 2004
    Milano, Italy
    Just try a 6sp 355, you'll probably change your mind about the car...

12. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Yes, I second this!
    Some of you may know I was looking for TR, 512TR/M for several weeks now, and I ended up w/ 355 Spider 6 speed yesterday! It will be an intermediate car to 12 cylinders to get modern 8 cylinder experience.

13. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    That's a good idea. I think I will do that.

As far as the speed of an F1 car shift vs what I experienced, any dote can listen to an F1 car on the track and hear the shift speed, ass****. Don't be a jerk. Guys like you make me not want to even bother to share my opinions, merely offered FWIW.

14. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    I guess that is what I was wondering, in reverse. Apparently, nobody on this board has gone to a 355F1 from a TR, or hasn't had a chance to share thoughts.

I just posted because I thought others might be looking at this same choice, as a natural price point upgrade and possible way to 'modernize' their ride. Test drives are short and quick judgment is not the best way to make a decision, esp about new technology, so I was curious about long term satisfaction or dissatisfaction by former Boxer owners.

Jim

15. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

v. owned, 0wned, pwned, 0wn3d, pwn3d, own3d.
    v. tr.
    To be made a fool of; To make a fool of; To confound or prove wrong; embarrasing someone: Being embarrased.

I owned you in counter-strike. You were owned at the party yesterday.

OR

A victory cry used when having conquered or captured something, especially computer servers or human egos.

A: She fell for the goatse.cx link.
    B: Heh! Owned.

OR

Owned, resulting back in the Ultima Online days is a word depicing victory over another person or thing. Being passed up into the new generation of games and even in real conversations the word has come a long way since it was started by us old UO boys

OR

When a situation commands that one person or thing has taken charge and shown total control of the transpiring event.

OR

owned

1. The act of defeating another player in a computer game.

2. Used to add more kick to a comeback.

can also be used as izowned but never pwned...that is a l4m3r usage of the word.

1. I just owned you in Counter-Strike

2. Player1: "Man this map sucks"
    Player2: "Yea, just like your mom last night! OOOOOOOWNED!"