Need ideas for Thanksgiving, please | FerrariChat

Need ideas for Thanksgiving, please

Discussion in 'Texas' started by maranelloman, Nov 20, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

#1 maranelloman, Nov 20, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    After traveling somewhere (Calif., Pa., Dallas, etc.) every Thanksgiving in the 13 years we have been married, Mrs. Maranelloman and I have decided to not do so this year. We are going to some friends' house in Austin for T'giving dinner.....but are looking for an idea of what to do that weekend. Specifically, we want to drive somewhere (that means Texas) but want to avoid the huge citiy areas that will be filled with mouthbreathers going to the malls.

Any ideas? Thanks!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Dave, I'm under the impression that I'm getting my car back next week. If so, would you want to meet halfway some morning and run up to and around Lake Sommerville? Or, if properly motivated, I might even be willing to do a run around Kerrville. (A client of mine has a home on the river that we can use in Kerrville.) I'll let you know if I get my car. (Of course, this means that I will need to significantly add to the ole bank account <sigh>).

Dale

3. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    If I was going to be in town I'd join you. If you go take some pics and post.

4. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Dale,

Let me know. That might me interesting!

Thanks,

Dave

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well, if you want some culture, Lyle Lovett plays Jones Hall on the 25th.

We are gonna glam out! (B4 T day, however.)

We're shopping with these little galleries that make cool stuff we've met as an Art Car. Only a few days left 'till Christmas!LOL

6. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Dave,

If you want to go real out of the way and avoid any big city, try going west on I-10 out toward Fort Davis in far west Texas. It has some interesting roads to drive and is very relaxing. The Lodge is an adobe Mexican style hotel that is rustic. Clean but do not expect the Ritz. Visit the old fort and hear the ghost troop. The Davis Mountains observatory is close by and is always interesting to visit.

Again, this is for a driving trip and some place restful. You will not get you heart beating fast here except on the roads. This is where they ran some of those famous all-out Corvette road trips.

7. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I was thinking this would be the 'what to do on t-giving when you don't want to see relatives' thread. But if that does come to mind, with or without your friends, I highly recommend Louis 106's t-giving dinner.

As for drives here and there, I have many suggestions but it depends what you and Mrs. Maranelloman want to do. Perhaps New Braunsfels or a gorgeous drive out to Medina and 337. But it is a haul and there isn't anything out there at all.

8. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    According to the good doctors at FOH, they will be releasing my beast from their fine care by tomorrow. Because it has been almost a month, I have got a serious jones for a drive. If the weather holds, would you or anybody else want to do a drive this Sat or Sun?

Dale

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I really enjoyed a trip to Big Bend last year, but it's a long drive.

10. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Howza bout you, Rob? Wanna slap some plates on that Challenge car and go for a spin, eh?

Dale

11. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    We drove to Lubbock last weekend with the kids to watch Texas Tech get killed by Oklahoma.

I would not suggest Lubbuck... although the tumbleweed was quite heavy. :)

12. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Well, marshmellowman? Whuts up? Looks like good weather. Wanna meet somewhere inbetween?

Dale