Random thought: why aren't we 'spotted' more often? | FerrariChat

Random thought: why aren't we 'spotted' more often?

Discussion in 'Texas' started by GrigioGuy, Mar 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    You would think with the active spotter threads that our cars would show up on that list once in a while. However, other than gatherings, rarely does anyone say "hey, I saw an X" only to have someone else say "that's me".

I wonder why that is?

Just a random thought while waiting for a pizza and wings....

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I've wondered that too and also why I hardly see other Ferraris when I'm in mine. Jennie was spotted in the 328 once by TXHansen a year ago. That's all I can remember. I guess Jim has spotted Ken driving my car around before.

3. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    That's funny... I mostly monitor the spotters thread just to see if I am ever spotted. Hasn't happened yet! Maybe I need to drive up and down the tollway one day all day.

4. GarnetRedCoupe

GarnetRedCoupe Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Steve
    That happens to me all the time! When I am in my daily I see Porsches all the time, then I go out for a spin I might see one and they usually don't flash back (Porsche Newbies I gues).

5. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    I have a remote office in Southlake and see several of you guys every time I drive up there. Just a few weeks ago I saw a red 355 Spyder there. Here in Austin I usually see other Ferrari's when I am out driving in the evenings. Mostly 355's. One day in particular I saw two other Ferrari's in front of me on 360 so that put three random cars on the same road in the same area at the same time. Last weekend, I parked my Testarossa near the front door at the Oasis and when I came out there was a 550 parked across from me.

I'll be back in Southlake April 6 and 7 next week and I'll post your spottings. Look for me at 114 and Kimball.

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I live just a mile from there at 114 and White Chapel. Just look for the 800 square foot run down house next to the mobile home park with a 328, 355 Challenge, and 2 Rx7 race cars in the back yard. :)

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Ahhhhh, The Oasis!

That brings back some fine memories. So-so Tex Mex but killer drinks and the best sunset in Texas.

The only thing better than being on the deck looking down was being in my boat looking up and waving!!

I'll go back and finish that last year at UT someday, maybe when my kids enroll there!

I'm going to try to make the Art Car Parade April 24th, or at least the party the night before.

8. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    I got an email tonight on my other computer from Rob Lay. I opened it thinking it was a news letter and to my surprise it was offering me some Vigorelle female stimulant cream and half price. Seriously.

9. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Yes, the spammers have gotten soooo incredibly annoying (albeit quite clever) over the last couple years. Recently, faking the From address using the same people you are sending spam to has become quite common. Ugh.

10. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Ok, back on topic.

The reason we don't see each other is the same reason I haven't seen any of my ex-girlfriends in the last 10 years. DFW is a big place. Something like 5MM people? We're a group of what, 30? The odds of any one of us seeing any of the other of us at any given time are pretty slim. There are a few thousand miles of road around here, and we can only occupy so much of it.

Of course, you all knew this.

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Of course you could be a lawyer that disappoints about 100 people a year that thought they were going to get paid on an insurance scam. I swear, everywhere we go Greg will say, yep, that person burned their house, but we busted them because they took pictures of all their stuff the day before and they also removed personal pictures. :)

12. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Scary point. I remember having dinner w/ Greg a few months ago and heard that similar story.

13. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    I think I was spotted once on the thread, but I only read that thread few times a month. When I see other Ferraris, I haven't been posting though.

I'm running my 328 lately, past 2 weeks, in Las Colinas area almost everyday. Sunny days on 114 is very nice drive, too. You guys should do this, too. Maybe lunch??

BTW, I will be switching 328 to 355 spider next week. It is Fiorano/tan, and I haven't seen this color before. When I saw the car, I just whispered "the color of Chateau Margaux" (sorry if misspelled)

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I've got the 328 today, I'm out of town all weekend, so this was my only opportunity to drive it.

15. Chevarri

Chevarri Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2003
    In a rose bush.
    Full Name:
    J'aime

The answer to your question is quite simple, some of you dont drive your car enough. i.e. when I drove everyother day my freinds would say they saw me Wednesday, last week, etc often. Now its none :( Ah well, only one way to solve that. :)

16. -FROG-

-FROG- Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Paul Daniels
    True... I don't think I have had the Lambo rep out of the garage in 3 weeks but mostly due to the rain. :sad: The last few days have REALLY been tempting though with the sun blazing down on the green spring texas hills!

17. Jason W

Jason W Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I saw the Art Car back before I knew what it was.

Probably about a year ago.

18. Chevarri

Chevarri Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2003
    In a rose bush.
    Full Name:
    J'aime

Better enjoy the rest of today, it will be raining for the weekend. H

Has anyone noticed here in Central Texas that it seems its always raining on the weekends for the past few months?? I love Texas climate and all, but the weathers been bad for the weekends :(

19. -FROG-

-FROG- Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Paul Daniels
    It's the Monson season!!!! ....*thunder and lightening in background*....

20. Nick R

Nick R Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2004
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    Nick R
    I think it is also due to the fact that we know what we are looking for and other than those of us on Ferrari chat, may not know what they are looking at. Not that Rob has done an excellent job, because he has, but how many people have Ferraris or know what they are looking at and are also on Ferrarichat.com?

I mean I have been asked if my 355 is a kit car!

To the other point of not driving it enough, I have to agree. Many seem to only want garage queens. To me it’s a shame. It’s like the line in Ferris Bueller "A person with his priorities that messed up doesn’t deserve this car". I am sure I will hear form all of you who only drive your car to Norwood’s to get the oil changed and back in the garage, but it is really what I believe.

21. Nick R

Nick R Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2004
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    Nick R
    I am actually in town for a change. Anyone want to get together for lunch next week, except for Tuesday, with the cars?

22. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Yoshi and I have talked about having lunch next Friday to see his new 355, should we make it an event?

23. Nick R

Nick R Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2004
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    Nick R
    Just let me know when and where. I PM'd Yoshi so I am waiting to hear back. Anybody else want to come and join us?

24. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Yoshi is getting his new 355 this week, and we've discussed having lunch on Friday so I can see the new toy. Nick has indicated he wants to join us, anyone else? We'll probably eat in the Irving area since it's centrally located.

25. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    You should probably post this as a new thread.

As for me, I have Opening Day tickets. Baseball season, wahoo :)